585,981 active members*
4,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Replacing Spindle with Cutting Knife Hows it going to work?

Replacing Spindle with Cutting Knife Hows it going to work?

I have already build my own CNC machine and im planning to cut papers, cartons, vinyls, stickers, thin foams, etc. how can I attach an ordinary hobby knife cutter to replace my spindle? What if I want to cut complex shapes, will the cutter be able to rotate to follow in different directions? Please help on how to construct my very own cutter

Quote Originally Posted by guy2b1 View Post
    I have already build my own CNC machine and im planning to cut papers, cartons, vinyls, stickers, thin foams, etc. how can I attach an ordinary hobby knife cutter to replace my spindle? What if I want to cut complex shapes, will the cutter be able to rotate to follow in different directions? Please help on how to construct my very own cutter
    To try it out you could mount the knife in ball bearing so it can freely swivel. Mach3 also has tangential knife control using a 4th axis to maintain the knife on a tangent to the line/arcs.
    On my Roland vinyl cutter the small carbide blade is held in bearing and is a 45 degree angle on the sharp edge. If you go on ebay and search for vinyl cutter supplies you will see many examples and can just buy the cutter and cartridge that holds it.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Thanks totallyrc, so how can I create my 4th Axis how can i set Mach3 to tangential knife control? Planning to build one soon attaching my 5th motor for the 4th axis control attaching an ordinary hobby cutter or vinyl cutter. I need to design an attachment of my knife to the motor so that it rotates automatically on its path.

Quote Originally Posted by guy2b1 View Post
    Thanks totallyrc, so how can I create my 4th Axis how can i set Mach3 to tangential knife control? Planning to build one soon attaching my 5th motor for the 4th axis control attaching an ordinary hobby cutter or vinyl cutter. I need to design an attachment of my knife to the motor so that it rotates automatically on its path.
    Setp 1. RTM or read the manual located on the Mach3 website.
    2. Read the pertinent sections again.
    3. You could try a small rotary table such as the Sherline and just chuck a shortened Exacto knife with a number 11 blade in the chuck. It may not rotate fast enough but it may.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

bump

please help how can I assemble and calibrate the motor with knife

bump