585,981 active members*
4,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Looking for R8 to NMBT 30 adapter

Looking for R8 to NMBT 30 adapter

i was lucky enough to be around when another shop was scrapping an old Robotool, and picked up 20+ NMBT 30 taper holders, now looking for an adapter to allow me to run these in my bport clone. Likely would be the type that closes with a hook spanner wrench, any ideas or help? thanks!

edit: yes i meant nmtb, oops!

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I'm not quite following what you want.

Do you intend to change your R8 taper to run NMTB30, or do you want an adapter that has R8 male at one end and NMTB30 at the other.

If the latter, I'm not sure that'll you'll be very happy hanging all that mass out that far beyond the bearings. Seems likely to be very chatter prone.

Best,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

didnt see anything there, Toby

i'll keep an eye on this thread, but it doesnt look promising. was looking for a quick easy solution, and i understand perfectly about the long overhang. i still have the closing nut from the old robotool spindle, may do some sketching & build an adapter myself, but not sure that will do much to reduce overhang. the fellow who gave me the holders also offered to grind the tapers after HT if i built an adapter. he'd likely grind the nmbt30 holders to r8 if i asked him, but seems like a pita for the gain received. i will likely grab an import r8 er32 collet holder set and try that, one of my goals being not to have to get on and off the stepstool all the time. never used a power drawbar, but places ive worked, seemed they were always bring repaired. i used the ultron snap-chage system for a while, but drawbars only seemed to go a couple years and i saw indications on the tapers that things were moving some under heavy side loads. thanks everyone for your input!

You may find this link useful: R8 specifications.
    http://www.loganact.com/tips/r8.htm
    Cross section-wise R8 is better than you think.
    Overlay the 30 taper over the R8 in CAD if you can't find an adapter.
    A split tapered spacer, and a drawbar thread adapter could be devised.
    I would be interested to see it work.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by metlcutr55 View Post
    didnt see anything there, Toby
    i'll keep an eye on this thread, but it doesnt look promising. was looking for a quick easy solution, and i understand perfectly about the long overhang.
    Quick and easy, I wish.

Honestly your probably better off with the R8's. I do know that Royal Tool makes quick change tooling adapters for R8's but they are pricey and not as Rigid as most would like them to be.

These guys are in my area.

http://www.royalprod.com/
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com