585,712 active members*
3,863 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Planned progression of an X2 mod.

Planned progression of an X2 mod.

When the HF X2 arrives, I want to adapt it so it works with my disabilities. The very first thing that will get done is the rear column support. I understand flex and want to cut the possibilities of that down right away.

The next thing is a bolster plate that will allow a rotary table to sit out in the area to the left the cutter can't get to. A larger bolster plate also allows it to grow with the machine if I do the X axis Freak.

Next is the belt drive, BUT. I need to make the mill TTS friendly ASAP. I have a progressive nerve disorder that has taken away my hand dexterity and strength. Automating the tool change process is imperative. Because of this I've been looking at different designs for air assist drawbars.

A big problem with many I've seen are bulk, and weight. Not only that, but with a belt drive, the rear two mount holes are usually half covered. I've had a 90v. 1.5A DC motor and controller sitting around for a few years gathering dust. This will go on when I make the belt drive. Because the motor is a little wider, and I plan on using a slightly larger motor pulley to give the belt more surface area contact to drive the spindle, these the rear holes will probably be even more covered.

An idea that has been floating around in my head is to make an oval shaped air cylinder. I’ve seen round cylinders sealed with ordinary O-rings and would use two to form the floating seal. The main motor mount plates in every auto drawbar device I’ve seen is just as wide as the spindle head. From the many pictures I’ve seen, there is no reason not to have “wings” at the front of the main motor mount to either side for the mounting of an oval air cylinder. The wings put the cylinder mounts out of the way of the spindle pulley for easier speed changes.

With this idea, I’m wondering if there is a reason I’ve never seen an oval air cylinder. I’m hoping it is ease of manufacture and not due to other problems like cocking and sticking or sealing. I have a CNC Supermax out in the garage, but using it has become more and more difficult (I need to use a stand-up wheelchair to use it). I’m sure I can still manage though if there is no reason for not going with an oval air cylinder design.

When I CNC the machine, I have three G251s, and a G201 along with a Campbell Designs BOB. Using the G201 for the power and a second PS, do I need to go with a 906ozin motor like the detuned ones for the G540, or can I go with a 640ozin motor and 1-1 pulley system. If lower ozin motors keep their power higher in their respective rpm ranges, wouldn't a 640ozin motor be better suited as long as it has a G201 and power supply to match it?

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by MrWild View Post
    When I CNC the machine, I have three G251s, and a G201 along with a Campbell Designs BOB. Using the G201 for the power and a second PS, do I need to go with a 906ozin motor like the detuned ones for the G540, or can I go with a 640ozin motor and 1-1 pulley system. If lower ozin motors keep their power higher in their respective rpm ranges, wouldn't a 640ozin motor be better suited as long as it has a G201 and power supply to match it? Any thoughts?
    This IS an X2 right? NOT the much larger X3? You don't NEED any N34 motor on an X2--or a G201 either. The Keling 381 is MORE than sufficient. And by using G251s +BOB & G201, you have spent MORE than the G540 costs, and received NONE of its benefits.

My X2 recommendations:

$289 G540 http://kelinginc.net/GeckorDriver.html This is a sophisticated breakout board also.
    $147 3 $49 KL23H2100-35-4B 381 oz motors for X, Y & Z
    $060 One KL-350-48 48V/7.3A power supply. This will also run another 381 for 4th Axis.
    $010 Estop switch
    $007 3 Home switches
    $009 Straight thru parallel computer cable.
    -----
    $522 Total electronics cost.

$149 Mach3 cost with above purchase.

$671 To spend at Keling. http://kelinginc.net/

http://crevicereamer.com/Page_6.html

X2 Teardown guide:
    http://crevicereamer.com/Page_7.html

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

"I've had a 90v. 1.5A DC motor and controller sitting around for a few years gathering dust. This will go on when I make the belt drive." - That will leave you with a *massively* under-powered machine, unless you're working entirely with very small cutters (like 1/8" or less). That's 145W, or barely 1/6 HP, vs the 4/5HP of the stock motor.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    This IS an X2 right? NOT the much larger X3? You don't NEED any N34 motor on an X2--or a G201 either. The Keling 381 is MORE than sufficient. And by using G251s +BOB & G201, you have spent MORE than the G540 costs, and received NONE of its benefits.

CR.

Yes, an X2. Actually, I won the three G251s by guessing the number of components back when they came out. The Campbell BOB was bought four years ago when I thought the high power UHU servo boards were going somewhere (for an upgrade on the Supermax). The Smarbaga boards I bought had inherent problems that caused them to blow up so I never used them while I waited for a fix that didn't happen. The G201 was from a different deal so all have been sitting on the shelf. Yes a G540 is nice, and I have one on a JGRO which will move to a Joe2006 some day. Total cost so far is for the unused Campbell BOB.

I thought people were using the 906ozin steppers on the Z axis to keep from using counterweights and air springs. Is that only on the X3? Why are people using counterweights and the 381inoz motors on the X2 then? I also thought it was advised to use 270ozin steppers on the X and Y as they keep their torque into higher revs for faster rapids. While I have the drives and BOB, the steppers are still being decided. The X2 will have a fourth axis as I want to make some internal throttles for custom bikes. If I were starting from scratch I'd go with the package you've listed as I agree with it, but don't want to be buying things twice.

What about oval air cylinders?

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    "I've had a 90v. 1.5A DC motor and controller sitting around for a few years gathering dust. This will go on when I make the belt drive." - That will leave you with a *massively* under-powered machine, unless you're working entirely with very small cutters (like 1/8" or less). That's 145W, or barely 1/6 HP, vs the 4/5HP of the stock motor.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Thanks! I'd thought it was a more powerful one. Live and learn. Could you toss out the math that you used? If I had the math formula for the power, I'd have known it was a duh move.(chair)

Hey Crevice Reamer. I've been to your site a number of times, but the X2 cleaning (page 7) only loads about 1/3 of the way down then it's all white space. If I right click on the white space and select "show picture" a picture downloads I can see but all captions are missing. Refreshing the page doesn't do anything for loading more of it. Do I need to be a Photobucket member to see it all without the hassle? Is my computer just a turd and the cause of my grief?

Thanks! I'd thought it was a more powerful one. Live and learn. Could you toss out the math that you used? If I had the math formula for the power, I'd have known it was a duh move.(chair)
    Power, in Watts, is simply voltage times current. One horsepower is 740 Watts. You can figure about 80-90% efficiency for the motor, so actual usable power is 80-90% of what you calculate based on voltage and current.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Yes, an X2. Actually, I won the three G251s by guessing the number of components back when they came out. The Campbell BOB was bought four years ago when I thought the high power UHU servo boards were going somewhere (for an upgrade on the Supermax). The Smarbaga boards I bought had inherent problems that caused them to blow up so I never used them while I waited for a fix that didn't happen. The G201 was from a different deal so all have been sitting on the shelf. Yes a G540 is nice, and I have one on a JGRO which will move to a Joe2006 some day. Total cost so far is for the unused Campbell BOB.
    Understood. You sure can't beat that G251 price. LoL.

I thought people were using the 906ozin steppers on the Z axis to keep from using counterweights and air springs. Is that only on the X3?
    Yes. Because of the weight of the X3 head, it MUST have a N34 motor of 640 oz to lift it properly. Prior to my developement of G540/906 use, the G540 could not be used with X3 because no applicable N34 motors seemed to exist. Detuning the 906 for G540 just happens to be workable. NO X2 will ever need a N34 though.

Why are people using counterweights and the 381inoz motors on the X2 then?
    You really don't need a counterweight with the 381--Unless you are trying to wring out every last bit of Z axis speed. People with less efficient drivers/motors/PSU combinations may NEED a counterweight though.

The little G250 inside a G540 will drive that 906 motor, lift that heavy X3 head--and run that Z at about 200 IPM with NO counterweight.

Let me put it into perspective for you:

The HEAD on an X3 weighs about as much as the ENTIRE X2.

I also thought it was advised to use 270ozin steppers on the X and Y as they keep their torque into higher revs for faster rapids. While I have the drives and BOB, the steppers are still being decided.
    That was in the "old" G540 days. The 270 CAN do the job, but the new 381 motor is such a good match for your 251 driver and 48V PSU, (and will drive to even higher RPM than the 270) that I now recommend it for all three X2 axes.

CR.

Hey Crevice Reamer. I've been to your site a number of times, but the X2 cleaning (page 7) only loads about 1/3 of the way down then it's all white space. If I right click on the white space and select "show picture" a picture downloads I can see but all captions are missing. Refreshing the page doesn't do anything for loading more of it. Do I need to be a Photobucket member to see it all without the hassle? Is my computer just a turd and the cause of my grief?
    I think you must have hit that while I was separating the cleanup page from the teardown page. Try it now and it should work better for you. Please let me know if it still doesn't work.

http://crevicereamer.com/Page_7.html

http://crevicereamer.com/Page_9.html

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    Please let me know if it still doesn't work.
    I get half the picture of "a light hammer tap... on the quill removal section then black to the bottom of the page. Before it also ended there but had a white page. Could be my computer though...

Sorry to hear that.

How about the Cleaning link? Does that work? How do you get your internet?

Is anybody else having problems?

CR.

Cleaning and smoothing including the video short.
    works fine.