584,841 active members*
4,443 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: AR-15 parts

AR-15 parts

I am looking at the nm-135 by Novakon, the largest and most complex part I want to make at this time is an AR-10 or AR-15 lower receiver. Is anyone out there familiar with this or willing to look at a drawing to help determine if this part can be done on the nm-135, I intend to buy the 4th axis and the upgrades to V23 of the software, as well as the cooling system.
    The parts will be made from 7075 or 6066 T6 Aluminum. These parts are for my own hobby purpose, but I intend to make some smaller parts which are less complex out of Aluminum, plastic and some other materials including some hardwoods, as small business venture down the road a bit.
    The parts in question can be seen at http://www.cncguns.com/downloads.html
    which has download files in several formats for the parts.
    I am new to CNC milling but not to the industry. I have modeled and drafted sheet metal and solid parts for years, using PRO-E, and have done CNC paths on turret punch presses and laser machines. I know I can learn this and will enjoy it greatly, my research thus far is leading to the 135.
    Any comments or input is appreciated.

Hello

Yes it could be done on a nm-135,the well for the magazine as to be done by another means as the sides are square . i would use a mist system because it uses much less coolant and blows the chips away and would use a plunge feed to control the size of the chips .

Hope this helps

Marcel Beaudry

I could see it being done on this machine but it is going to take a looooong time. A full sized VMC can do the Upper and Lower Receiver in about 8 to 15 minutes. This machine might take 8 to 15 hours, but as long as you don't mind waiting, it's up to you.

What CAM Software are you planning to use??
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Thanks for the reply's,
    I plan on using the bobcad V23 upgrade to start with, I will exhaust the capabilities of that software before I move to something else.
    The Lower receivers will be the most complex part I will make, and very few of those since they will not be for sale, but I intend to learn and progress and eventually make the AR parts, and some prototypes and small production runs of various things. I may even try some small R/C engines for fun.
    I will add equipment down the road as needed. I will probably make a line of folding knives including automatics and liner lock type folders. I am looking for an adventure, this should be fun.... I don't want to spend too much, and my space is limited so a full size machine is not in my desires.
    I hope to order a machine this week.
    Thanks again.
    JL

Quote Originally Posted by JLyons View Post
    Thanks for the reply's,
    I plan on using the bobcad V23 upgrade to start with, I will exhaust the capabilities of that software before I move to something else.
    The Lower receivers will be the most complex part I will make, and very few of those since they will not be for sale, but I intend to learn and progress and eventually make the AR parts, and some prototypes and small production runs of various things. I may even try some small R/C engines for fun.
    I will add equipment down the road as needed. I will probably make a line of folding knives including automatics and liner lock type folders. I am looking for an adventure, this should be fun.... I don't want to spend too much, and my space is limited so a full size machine is not in my desires.
    I hope to order a machine this week.
    Thanks again.
    JL
    AR10- AR15 Upper and Lowers for personal use this is fine, but for commercial sale you will need a License.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Hi Tobyaxis,
    I realize the law on the lowers, I think I stated "not for sale", I actually want to make one AR-15, one AR-10, and a 1911, I already own commercial versions of these, but just feel that the joy of being able to make my own would be very satisfying.
    My main purpose for acquiring a mill is to create a home based business that I can use to teach my sons a few skills. I have been gathering a fairly extensive list of things we could make using a mill like this. I have many interests and hobbies like knife making, that could take a new direction with this tool. Once I am up to speed and making some products or some clientele in prototyping I will consider expanding and growing as required. I have a small shop but lots of property so once proven out, I could expand my shop.
    Thanks again
    JL