585,753 active members*
4,020 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > COMMUNICATIONS SETTINGS NOT SAVED

COMMUNICATIONS SETTINGS NOT SAVED

I am running X3 and when I go to communicate with the machine to send a program, the baud rate, stop bits etc. are all screwed up and I have to reset them every darn time, I have gone into the machine def, and the control def via the machine def, all settings look good when viewed but if I close out of MCX and open a new session, back to the wrong settings even though the machine def still looks correct??? any clue to what is going on? thanks in advance

What software are you using to communicate with ?
    and how ? RS232 ?

In Cimco, it doesn't use the mastercam settings, I'm guessing other software would be the same.
    The Xfer settings would need to be done thru the actual software set-up area, something like- create a macine or contoller profile, set your baud, blah blah etc and then save

You open the NC-file with the Xfer software, select a profile, then, "Send to Machine", go to the machine and then "Read" that file into the control.

This is a basic procedure to send the entire file, it may alter slightly for different machines

DNC is a similar procedure, but the machine must be DNC capable before going into this area

thanks superman,
    there are 3 choices when i click the little communicate button on MCX, they are legacy, mastercam and cimcodnc, I never thought to change it because the lathe guy who gave me a quick heads up before he quit never said anything about that, just commented how mastercam never seems to remember settings, do you recommend that i try the cimco? or is mastercam just as good. we do communicate throught the rs-232 port but rarely do we drip feed programs. thanks

Try to get the transfer program to operate without running mastercam.
    ( I suggest using the software that you have set to open the posted files in the editor )( you post the files, it opens in the editor, do some checks etc, select a machine profile, then send to that machine. )

We use OneCNC, but they all tend to operate along the same lines
    some use seperate recieve and send settings

Have a simple test program in the control and upload to the PC first as the controllers sometime add code to the files during transfers, ie a filename or % on the first line and a % on the last. And it does make it easier.

Adjust the PC settings to suit the control settings then you will know what is needed in the file when sending to the control.

When you have set the PC to recieve files, then ttry sending that file back to the control