585,987 active members*
4,436 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Reversing an electric drill using a toggle switch

Reversing an electric drill using a toggle switch

I am trying to build a cheap manual torch height control for my Torchmate. What I have done is build a bracket to attach a 120v reversable drill to the shaft where the hand wheel was on the original height control. The problem is I want to use a momentary toggle switch to control the up down instead of the trigger/reversing switch that came with the drill. I have a dual pole dual throw toggle with six terminals on the back. The drill I have has a trigger with 2 wires going in from the plug and 2 wires going out to the drill. There is a separate reversing switch with 4 wires going to the brushes and the stator windings.

Could some one help me out with a diagram?

The reversing switch on the drill swaps the brush polarity in relation to the field winding causing the motor to run the other direction. The Trigger just switches both sides of the incoming power on and off. In order to use a single switch to get the drill to power up and run in a particular direction, you will probably need at least a 3 pole double throw switch. 1 pole for power switch, and 2 for direction control.

Run Hot (L1) side of power to center of pole #1
    Run Nuet (L2) side of power to one end of field winding and to center of pole #2
    Run both sides of pole #1 to remaining end of field and to center of pole #3
    Connect the ends of poles #2 and #3 in an X crossover and connect those points to the armature brushes.

Make sure the switch is "Center Off" type.

Steve