584,833 active members*
5,405 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > How long can Haas be disconnect fore loosing parameters

How long can Haas be disconnect fore loosing parameters

Hi,

I am wondering how long can Haas machines remain disconnected before loosing parameters/programs/settings stored in memory? I didn't plan on having the machines disconnected for this long but getting the new facility ready is taking longer than what I had originally thought. The machine is offline since late September.

I still have the manual with the parameter printout but I'm kind of hoping I don't have to type them all in when I power on.

thanks,

John

The battery that keeps the memory healthy lasts for many years in normal use so you are probably okay for a few months if it is not a really old machine. Also you may have all the Parameters and Settings on a floppy or usb drive that came with the machine; there is a holder inside the control cabinet door that the floppy is normally in.

One thing to remember when you do get the machine powered up is to run the Run-In program to purge all the oil that will have drained down into the lower spindle bearing; this program should be in the machine. For the Run-In program you adjust the air pressure for the spindle lube to 30 psi and keep checking that the spindle nose is not getting warm while the program is running.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

As geof has already said there may be a disk with parameters in the electrical cabinet. If there isn't then you can make a backup disk yourself. If you don't know how to do this I can tell you how.
    Just like your PC it is always a good idea to have backups of files/programs/parameters etc
    And yes, providing the battery is good, then the machine should keep its programs, parameters etc for years without being turned on.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks Geof and Haas_Man,

There is a disk that came with the machine and it's good to know that the parameters will mostly likely still be there in a month when I finally hook the machine up. Funny thing is that the machine has been sitting in the warehouse for a few month and never bothered me, but now that the pallets are staring to clear away and I can actually see the machine again, I begin to worry. . . It's really out of sight, out of mind.

thanks again,

John