585,931 active members*
4,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EnRoute > Roughing Path for 3-D

Roughing Path for 3-D

Sometimes Enroute won't give me a roughing path for 3-D objects. I have step rough selected. I also have an overcut that exceeds the bit diameter.

Is there a trick with this? I have done a lot of 3d carving, and it's often a struggle to get this to work right away...

Grant,

When using 'STEP ROUGH' be sure to set PASSES under CUT DEFINITION to more than one. Set your offset from surface, check on step rough and then set the number of passes for the roughing. Should work for you just fine.

Good Luck,

Tom in PA

step roughing

Hi Tom,
    I do all of the above every time. Sometimes, however, enroute won't make the roughing pass unless I add overcut. Other times it will generate a step rough pass that doesn't follow the contour of the relief.

In a recent file it wouldn't generate a step rough path for a 1/2" bit, even though there was plenty of depth and room for it to work; when I downsized to 3/8", it made the path?

The majority of the time it works great; these issues are hit and miss. As I run a lot of 3D stuff, I posted this to find out if others have experienced this. Pretty time consuming when you're in the middle of work flow!

Thanx,
    Grant

Grant,

Sounds wierd! What version of Enroute are you using currently?

Tom in PA

roughing path - enroute version

I'm working with version 4.1.0.17. I just upgraded from version 4 not too long ago - I experienced these problems then also.

It is mysterious. Sometimes I wonder if enroute has troubles with files imported from illustrator, where I do all of my preliminary work. I have noticed it has troubles exporting these files properly, and that the bezier nodes will "tighten" in some instances such as extrusion on imported .ai files...
    G

Grant,

The latest versions of v4.1 are supposed to have better import / export capabilities than previous versions, especially when it comes to .ai files which always seemed to be behind. Have you tried changing file formats on export?? We have had good luck with .eps and .dxf for all of our files.
    Check with your reseller or contact Tim Hopkins directly at SAI. He will get to the bottom of your problem.
    Do you have a particular file with a problem that I can review?? I am running the latest v4.1.0.21 doing some testing and I can see if the filtering has changed.
    Do you happen to have Rhino 3D??
    We use Rhino for some of our 3D work but it also works as a great import filter as it will import almost any file format and then export it out in better shape than when it came in. We use it to work with problem files very successfully. Prior to v4.0 the import of .ai files was limited to 6.0, I think. We had newer files to import into Enroute so we ran them thru Rhino to check them and export out at the lower level.

Later,

Tom in PA

roughing/imports

Hi Tom,
    I do have a file with an example of the roughing issues. I'll try to upload it in the next day or two, if you are willing to look at it. It would mean I can determine if this problem is local to my machine...

Regarding file formats - I use the open-source 3-d program Blender to do my file conversions for 3d objects. The .3ds format works really well.

Regarding Illustrator - the problem there is a "flatness" issue. Flatness, in vector terminology, describes how many straight lines are used to compose an arc. The problem shows up as too few straights, but only after performing certain operations, such as extrusion. The initial imports are fine; I've been using .ai. I will try the .eps format for some of my future work.

Historically, .dxf and illustrator have had some issues with split paths and compound path issues since 1992 when I started using a range of vector software in the prepress industry. I use .dxf when I have to, but with much of the complex artwork I'm using I'm a little leery.

Thanx Tom - I'll upload a file in the next day or so.

Grant,

You mention the problem with the too few straights shows up after extrusion. Have you tried changing the resolution of the relief prior to extruding??
    I will be glad to take a look at the file to help rsolve the issue. You can email the file directly to me at thomas(at)edinborohardwoods.com.

Talk to you later,

Tom in PA

flattening

The extrusion I've been using for this particular work is using a mesh, with lots stacks and rows. My reliefs are typically 100 dpi at full size.

I will send files through.
    Thanx,
    G

Grant,

Have you tried one of the files bypassing the mesh and just modifying the relief with the extrusion directly??

Tom in PA

roughing

I've had some other problems with the roughing pass. Tim Hopkins and I are working through it now - I suspect it may be the 64 XP system I'm working on - he sent me an update to enroute.

I'll let you know how it goes!

PS - your cabinetry is beautiful. Do you ever add 3-d embellisment?

Hi, I am interested with the texture carving feature of enroute pro. But having difficulties reaching SA about the product. Since it is quite expensive, can anyone tell me about how SA after sales support is ? Can someone give SA representatives contacts?

Thank you

Purnama