584,846 active members*
4,630 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Metric drawings anyone? + HDPE Joe's?

Hi guys seems to be a fair few people using Joe's plans to make machines and been happy with the results.
    I have a small desktop one to build and am fairly settled on Joe's design. My cellar has fluctuating levels of humidity and temperature so it seems that MDF is out. I am thinking along the lines of a mini 4x4 hybrid using the aluminium extrusions and then replacing the MDF parts with HDPE. Eventually I will be using this machine to make a larger machine poss 4x4 or 4x8 so I can experiment with this one a bit.
    HDPE all comes in metric sizes over in the UK as does MDF so does anyone have a drawing for it so I can work out what I need and don't need please I have access to a pro CAD setup so DWG would be great

MM / 25.4 = INCHES
    INCHES * 25.4 = MM

:wave:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Thanks Toby I could redraw everything but trying to source 18.75mm boards is tricky :P Wondered if anyone had sorted the tolerances and meeting points for metric rather than imperial. I will do it by hand if I have to but better to ask first so I can move on faster with the build

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Thanks Toby I could redraw everything but trying to source 18.75mm boards is tricky :P Wondered if anyone had sorted the tolerances and meeting points for metric rather than imperial. I will do it by hand if I have to but better to ask first so I can move on faster with the build
    Write the conversions on the prints next to each dimension. It takes some time but worth the effort. It is the cheapest simple route
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I think I need to explain what I meant.
    If you have a piece of MDF 1/4" thick then that is 6.35mm now the board over here is either 6 or 8mm thick so a difference of .35mm. Or you can machine a piece of 8 to a 6.35 which is more expensive than rescaling the drawing so where it is 1/4" thick you make it 6mm thick this then moves everything around that, the same with half inch sectionsand 3/4 etc etc it is not guaranteed to fit together precisely first time.
    Realisticly I can machine this once and don't have the luxury of spending for it cutting again after trial and error. Therefore if someone has done this and been successful then that means I can do it the once. If I already had a machine I would do the trial and error approach but I am on a shoestring budget for the first machine.

hi, i'm very new here, but currently converting the joe2006 plans to european standards. It's a wip, and i don't know when i'll finish this, hopefully in the next weeks. Using 18mm mdf, 42 mm pipes, making it all slightly bigger, and with some small adjustments.

Here's a small screenshot of the x torsion box. I will start a new thread when i made some further progress, because i will need some more advice from the experts here.

Edit: I just realised i didn't ask permission to do this. I'll first ask, sorry if i broke any rules.

Hi

I have the same problem its a nightmare to convert all of this to metric. I was going to star to redoing a set of plans but perhaps we can join efforts and share the work. I use AutoCad 2009.

VCR

I have nearly finished converting the plans to metric when I will finish meybe i will give them to the people

Pklecz

It may be late to mention this, but Josh Madison has a great little conversion program:

http://joshmadison.com/software/convert-for-windows/

His program will convert all types of measurements, not just lengths.
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."