585,931 active members*
3,684 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hand torch to machine torch

Hi,

I have a powermax 900 with a pac125 hand torch, i have been trying to hold it like a machine torch but the trouble is the torch body has the air pipe coming out of the side.

Im thinking i can get round this by buying the machine torch body and putting it on the end of my wires, then buying the tube that fits around it and make a machine torch from parts, this should save me quite a bit over buying a new torch.

Am i wrong? or is it that simple?

Also what size would the clamping tube of the torch be on the outside? the bit that fits into the torch holder.

thanks

matt

Matt,

I'll get back to you a little later this morning on the details and parts required for switching over to a machine torch for your 900. I'm plowing out about 1200' of steep NH roads at my place in NH....had a bunch of snow yesterday and high winds.....snow drifts are 4' deep! The Tractor and my F250 will get a workout...

Jim

You probably could put a machine torch on your hand torch leads, although you will have to change some connections inside the torch.....and.....from a liability point of view I cannot offer advice on doiung that as you will be interfering with the safety circuitry on the system.

The best upgrade for the 900 is to put the newer style RT60 torch on your machine as it will breath new life into your older Powermax900. The RT60 torch is similar to the Powermax1000 torch.....which cuts faster, pierces thicker, and provides longer consumable life as compared to the older PAC125 torch that you currently have.

Attached is the brochure that talks about upgrading. If you still want to try to adapt the machine torch to the hand torch leads....you can order just the machine torch body and the mounting sleeve separately....part numbers will be in your Powermax900 manual. If you cannot find the part numbers get back to me and I will look them up for you.

Best regards, Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by matttargett4 View Post
    Hi,

I have a powermax 900 with a pac125 hand torch, i have been trying to hold it like a machine torch but the trouble is the torch body has the air pipe coming out of the side.

Im thinking i can get round this by buying the machine torch body and putting it on the end of my wires, then buying the tube that fits around it and make a machine torch from parts, this should save me quite a bit over buying a new torch.

Am i wrong? or is it that simple?

Also what size would the clamping tube of the torch be on the outside? the bit that fits into the torch holder.

thanks

matt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Jim,

Thanks for your help, funny thing is since christmas my supplier has hiked the price on their parts so where it would have been cheaper to do what i was talking about its now cheaper to buy the rt60 upgrade so thats what ive done, is a ashame since i have a bunch of pac125 consumables but ill have to see if i can ebay them or something.

Thanks again

Matt

I think you will like the new torch....

was the RT60 upgrade noticeably worth it? I've got a powermax800 with pac121 machine torch, I'm thinking of upgrading to the rt60 to improve the cut, I'm more interested in an upgrade in quality than consumable life.

You will see faster speeds, better cut quality, longer consumable life.....those are the reasons that the RT60 and RT80 torches were made available for older Hypertherm systems. They are the same technology torches that are used on the Powermax1000, 1250 and 1650 systems. I am, of course, a little biased as I work for Hypertherm.....so hopefully a few users of the RT torches will chime in!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    You will see faster speeds, better cut quality, longer consumable life.....those are the reasons that the RT60 and RT80 torches were made available for older Hypertherm systems. They are the same technology torches that are used on the Powermax1000, 1250 and 1650 systems. I am, of course, a little biased as I work for Hypertherm.....so hopefully a few users of the RT torches will chime in!

Jim
    thanks Jim,

you've very helpfully replied to a thread of mine before, regarding adding a THC to a Burny/Max100 system (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=36), but I've recently picked up this powermax800 for a couple of hundred in a risky punt on ebay- the torch was cut off (weird), but I rewired it and it all works fine, I've connected it to the Burny now. I'm hoping to improve cut quality over the max100 on thinner materials. But I'm wondering whether it'd be worth spending GBP500 on the RT60 for an old machine- as I said, it's cut quality I'm after (I'll order finecut consumables for whichever torch I end up using). If you take the speed and consumable life out of the equation, is there a marked improvement in edge quality or bevel? Or are the new machines much better than the 800+RT60 (although a new powermax 45 with machine torch would cost four times the 800/RT60 combo...)

steve

Jim
    thanks Jim,

you've very helpfully replied to a thread of mine before, regarding adding a THC to a Burny/Max100 system (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=36), but I've recently picked up this powermax800 for a couple of hundred in a risky punt on ebay- the torch was cut off (weird), but I rewired it and it all works fine, I've connected it to the Burny now. I'm hoping to improve cut quality over the max100 on thinner materials. But I'm wondering whether it'd be worth spending GBP500 on the RT60 for an old machine- as I said, it's cut quality I'm after (I'll order finecut consumables for whichever torch I end up using). If you take the speed and consumable life out of the equation, is there a marked improvement in edge quality or bevel? Or are the new machines much better than the 800+RT60 (although a new powermax 45 with machine torch would cost four times the 800/RT60 combo...)

steve

There is a good improvement in edge quality/bevel with the new torch especially on materials thicker than 3/16" (4.5 mm). If I remember correctly, the Powermax800 original torch did a nice job on materials thinner than this....equivalent to the RT60. However, the RT60 will provide consistently longer consumables life throughout the power range. The Powermax800 system is a reliable power supply. It is your determination as to whether you will use the torch enough to justify the cost through better thick plate quality, speed, as well as longer consumable life.

I had a Powermax900 (similar torch to the 800) when the Powermax1000 came out. I remember that I loved the 1000 (same as the RT60 torch) for the thicker material, but I complained to our process engineers that the thin cut quality was better with the 900......shortly after that we introduced the Fine Cut consumables that dramatically improved thin plate cutting...

Jim

There is a good improvement in edge quality/bevel with the new torch especially on materials thicker than 3/16" (4.5 mm). If I remember correctly, the Powermax800 original torch did a nice job on materials thinner than this....equivalent to the RT60. However, the RT60 will provide consistently longer consumables life throughout the power range. The Powermax800 system is a reliable power supply. It is your determination as to whether you will use the torch enough to justify the cost through better thick plate quality, speed, as well as longer consumable life.

I had a Powermax900 (similar torch to the 800) when the Powermax1000 came out. I remember that I loved the 1000 (same as the RT60 torch) for the thicker material, but I complained to our process engineers that the thin cut quality was better with the 900......shortly after that we introduced the Fine Cut consumables that dramatically improved thin plate cutting...

Jim
    I've got to do a lot of 4mm and 2mm ali this week, so I've ordered a fine cut kit for my pac121 which should be here tomorrow- hopefully I'll notice an improvement.

Also, yesterday a regular client asked me if I could cut some 1/2" bronze plate- they'd had an artistic pattern water-jet cut into it, but it had been profiled too large, and he needed it cutting down same day. He only had a tiny piece of scrap for me to test, but it was too small to work out what settings worked. I was using a piece of 1/2" scrap mild steel plate for the torch to pierce, and then run onto the bronze (it needed cutting up to the edge), and I was amazed at the cut through the steel (the bronze was awful with the same settings!)

I've attached a picture- the piece of steel is something I'd previously had profiled on a commercial laser, but the inner rectangle was done by my Powermax800 set on 40A with a dirty old nozzle and electrode (the one that came with the machine)- the slot width is only 0.4mm different from top to bottom edges! It's hard to tell the difference between the plasma and the laser edges. There's a steep bevel where the torch turned the corner however, whereas the laser is pretty perpendicular in the corners. But not bad for a £200 ebay purchase...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg