585,712 active members*
3,956 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > need help with 3 AXIS (TB6560) CNC DRIVER BOARD
Page 1 of 2 12

Exclamation need help with 3 AXIS (TB6560) CNC DRIVER BOARD

Hi, I bought the 3 AXIS (TB6560) CNC DRIVER BOARD from cncgeeker it is the univelop board, it is hooked to the proper V 12 v motor ac adapter, and 9v board ac adapter, db25 to an hp running Windows XP I'm trying both mach 2 and the new windows version of turbocnc I'm not getting any movement what so ever in the motor, I'm pretty sure it isn't the stepper as I have 15 of them, 2 different brands, and nothing on any of them, I'm including some pics of my set up, they are no the best pics but I hope they are clear enough. this is for a small desktop cnc dremel. but I haven't been able to get a single step out of the motors.

I've gone through this site and found a couple post about the older version of their 3 axis board and at least in mach2 I believe I have all the settings correct. I need to get this thing up and running this weekend, so anyone who has any ideas please let me know

btw same results all three axis

thank you
    Jason Miller
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boardandmotor.jpg   board1.jpg   board2.jpg   motorhookup.jpg  

motor.jpg   power.jpg  

really need some help here, if anyone knows anything about this driver, please let me know something

Jason,

You said... "it is hooked to the proper V 12 v motor ac adapter, and 9v board ac adapter" I am assuming you have 12V DC for the motor power, but, you stated 9V?? for?? The board requires 5V DC (+ or - 0.5V) for logic power. Anything much over 5.5 Vdc for the logic power and it will kill the logic circuits in the driver chips.

The DB25 connector must be connected to a DB25 PARALLEL port on the computer and not a serial port, or USB to parallel adapter etc.

Ensure that your enable outputs are Enabled (active low) via your software.

Steve

the ta8435 is 5v and the manual for this board is the one that downloads from the tb6560 page, but the manual that came with the tb6560 says 7.5 to 9.5 v I'm guessing because there is much more on the board it needs more power.

I'm not sure if active low is enabled how do I do that in mach 2?

Jason Miller

The manual on the download is for an earlier board with no on-board voltage regulator. Your board has one so the 5v supply should be 7.5-9v DC, and I can see its powered up OK because the LEDs are on.

What amperage output is your 12v adapter?

Are you sure your motor wiring is correct one phase to A/A- and the other to B/B- and not cross-wired - its hard to tell from the pics because you used one colour for all wires.
    If you're in Europe why not come and visit the UK CNC Community at http://www.mycncuk.com

the motors are unipolar I think they are wired correct to be bipolar, but it's hard to tell, they are the 6 wire kind, I'm checking the continuity of the wires, and its odd, there are two sets of wires, 3 each, one wire in each set should have half the cont, but all wires are the same

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Miller View Post
    the motors are unipolar I think they are wired correct to be bipolar, but it's hard to tell, they are the 6 wire kind, I'm checking the continuity of the wires, and its odd, there are two sets of wires, 3 each, one wire in each set should have half the cont, but all wires are the same
    what are you measuring them with and what value resistance are you getting (you need to be able to read down to ~0.1ohm to see the difference between windings)?

Try this...

pick a wire - call it 1
    find another wire with continuity to 1, call it 2
    find a third with continuity to 1, call it 3
    measure resistance 1-2 = M
    measure resistance 1-3 = N
    if M bigger than N then label A= 1, B=2, common1=3
    if M same as N then label common1=1, A=2, B=3
    if M less than N then label common1=2, A=1, B=3

repeat for remaining 3 wires, and label C,D, common2

for bipolar use common1 & A for one phase (A+/A-), common2 and C for second phase (B+/B-)
    If you're in Europe why not come and visit the UK CNC Community at http://www.mycncuk.com

ok did that, still no movement, even when I try shorting out the board as per the manual,

I'm at a total loss here, and I really need to get this thing running tonight.

1. Are those old floppy drive motors?
    2. When powered, do your motors lock up?

Quote Originally Posted by H500 View Post
    1. Are those old floppy drive motors?
    2. When powered, do your motors lock up?

not sure, maybe, and I hevent been able to power them yet, cause I can't get any power to go through the board to the motor, when I put the v meter on the screws connecting the motor wire I get nothing

So your power supply is no good.

Does ANY of the motor pins show 12v?

no when I touch the screws that connect the power supply I get 12v, when I touch the screws leading to the motor there is no voltage

That's odd. The center motor pins should be directly connected to the 12v. Did you blow a fuse? Do you have a pinout diagram for the drive?

OK, try this.

Unplug the parallel port cable from the board.

Is the motor free to turn by hand?

Now with a short length of wire, link the enable line (on the DB25 connector on the board) of the axis you are using to test with to any of pins 18 - 25 on the DB25.

You will need to check in the manual what pin the enable line is for each axis.

The motor should lock up and be hard to turn by hand.

If this works then the problem is Mach isn't configured right to drive the enable line low for the axis you are using.

My comment assumes you have a unipolar driver.

Quote Originally Posted by H500 View Post
    That's odd. The center motor pins should be directly connected to the 12v. Did you blow a fuse? Do you have a pinout diagram for the drive?
    Not necessarily, these are bipolar drivers, he is using a Unipolar 6-wire motor and driving half of each winding.

If the driver is not enabled then there will be no volts on any of the motor pins.

I don't have a diagram and no, I am actually if I set one prong of the v meter on either of the center pins, and the other on the ground of the 12v in screw I is showing 1 volt.

had a small break through, I now have 12v running to the 4 motor screws. however no two screws complete a circuit, I have to run the v meter to the main power in ground screw in order to complete the circuits.

still no motor movement.

gonna try another motor now

if anyone have any ideas please let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Miller View Post
    had a small break through, I now have 12v running to the 4 motor screws. however no two screws complete a circuit, I have to run the v meter to the main power in ground screw in order to complete the circuits.

still no motor movement.

gonna try another motor now

if anyone have any ideas please let me know
    Jasp0n, what did you do to achieve this?

Measuring the voltage at the motor isnt necesarily helpful... let me explain...

These are bipolar drivers, think of it as a set of 4 switches on each phase, one from each side of the motor winding to +12 and to ground.

If all 4 switches are open (driver disabled) there are no volts on the motor.

If the upper two switches are open and the lower ones close there will also be no volts on the motor.

If the upper two switches are closed but the lower ones open then there will be 12v on the motor with respect to ground, but no volts across the motor winding so no current flow.

If the upper left and lower right switches are closed then current flows in the motor coil and a step is made (similarly lower left, upper right).

At no time will upper and lower on the same side be closed together!

If the driver is trying to step the motor you will see a voltage of ~1 - 6v with respect to ground on each end of the motor winding, or a voltage ~1 to 6v across the motor winding. Although 12v is being applied to the motor it is being switched on and off too rapidly for your voltmeter to follow so it will see an average voltage which is typically the rated voltage for the motor.

The best test of whether the motor is being driven is if the rotor is locked... even if its not moving this is the holding state.

You still haven't said what the current rating of your +12v adapter is... that information might shed some light on this...

Page 1 of 2 12