585,665 active members*
3,813 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Broke endmill on accidental door open/close

Broke endmill on accidental door open/close

accidentally opened the door on my 2006 minimill - feed stopped and rpm drops to 750. Closed the door - the program continued at 100% feed rate before the spindle spun back up to 6k and <$NAP>.

Anyone know how to ensure that the spindle is back up to speed before feed starts on accidental door opening?

I searched and found Parameter 206 to rapid before fully spinning up spindle - I'm not in front of the mill, would turning this off also apply to feed on door stop/start?

I also found parameter for door spindle stop and door spindle RPM. I'd like the spindle and feed to stop when opening the door, but just need spindle to ramp back up to 100% before feed starts.

I think it's a setting for percentage of spindle speed before resuming. I'm not in front of the machine but, I seem to remember seeing that somewhere in there.

My solution (because I don't even want to worry about it) is to just press FWD on the spindle direction and give it a chance to come back to full speed before pressing the Cycle Start button again.
    Greg

Wink

Well, heres what happens:

1. run program
    2. Open door: Feed stops, spindle speed drops to 750 RPM
    3. Close door: Feed starts immediately, spindle speed ramps up after feed starts.

If you don't jog away, there is no cycle start button involved - as soon as the door closes, the feed resumes immedately before ramping the spindle back up.

All parameters are factory set - 2006 MiniMill. I tried setting parameter spindle nowait from 1 to 0: It had no effect on door closing, the feed starts immediately.

So nobody else ever has this happen? bumping the door handle causing a quick open/close causes a broken endmill and ruined part? At least i'd like to require a cycle start on door close!

Yeah, I'd say that you should call your HFO. There is something not right in your control.

The VF-5 we just bought at work, won't even do a tool change with the door open (even with door hold override turned on). It will start the tool change, then go into Feed Hold, waiting for the doors to close. After they're closed, it still requires a Cycle Start to complete the tool change.
    Greg

Newer controls require a cycle start after the door opens. However, you're still faced with getting the spindle up before it feeds. If you're quick enough to think of it press the feed hold before closing the door. Tap cycle start or turn the feed overide to zero and press cycle start and quickly press the feed hold again. The spindle will accelerate and then you can press the cycle start and continue feeding. However, this still doesn't help the bumped the door open and back closed on accident scenario.

Greg

contact your HFO maybe you can get a software update that will do this, another good reason why haas should tell about software updates

Delw

Thanks for your input - I talked to local HFO - recommendation was set parameter "Spindle Stop on Door Open" from 0 to 1. This stops spindle on door open and transforms the door hold to a feed hold on door close.

Only problem is that this is not like a regular feed hold, I can't seem to restart the spindle again using the cw button - have to press cycle start which once again starts feed before spindle, so either I have to use Greg's 0&#37; feed trick above or i have to cancel the program and restart. if this happens again, but at least it will prevent the door bump from ruining a part.

Looks like there is another parameter for MAX spindle speed with door open. I might talk to them about this one - setting it to 6000 might mean it doesn't slow down with door open.

This may be bringing up a touchy subject but I can't remember being in, or working in, too many shops where the door interlocks worked at all. Never had an installer by-pass an interlock but all were willing to maybe mention how to......

On my 2004 Super MiniMill when the door is opened the spindle stops and the feed stops. When the door is closed the spindle comes up to speed but the feed is on Feed Hold until I push Cycle Start.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Almost every machine I have worked on had a bypassed Door Interlock. The only ones that still had it were HAAS.

The HFO here sets the machine to Feed Hold when the Door is opened while the spindle stays on. You would then have to hit the Cycle Start to resume the program after the door was closed.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I have never understood how one could properly dry run a job looking through a filthy window, a tiny window, a window in the wrong place etc. I am not by any means saying that this is a safe practice. But I don't find it practical to try to machine a part that can cost thousands of dollars half blind. Nor especially in the case of turning sometimes you really need to see tool interference issues and not always the one workng at the moment. I would be very interested to see a poll on this issue. If I was a betting man and I am, I would say around 80 percent have a dis-abled, or run a dis-abled inter-lock machine. Any takers?

With the tool change arm thats swings at 1 million miles and hour I am glad they did put a door interlock on it.
    Mine is always parameter switched to no interloc unless I am not in the shop. lots of people even seasoned machinest are not acustom to that type of tool changer especially new employees that never ran side mounts .

I know it scared the crap out of me a few times,, and I been doing this a log time, just never had a side mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    With the tool change arm thats swings at 1 million miles and hour I am glad they did put a door interlock on it.
    LOL, I watched a new Mazak Horizontal throw Tools against the Wall about 10 years ago. They could have used a Door Interlock on that junker. It was a CAT50 to boot.

TOOL CHANGE EVERYBODY DUCK!!!!!!!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I had an operator crash my sl-10 a few years ago because the door accidentally opened and stopped the machine. His solution was to reset the machine and hit cycle start. The machine wasn't programed to go home before a toolchange so when he hit cycle start he broke a 1/2" spot drill on the chuck. No major damage, just a slightly mis-aligned turret It does make me appreciate the other machines at my shop that actually lock the door during operation so the door can't open.

FWIW, all my machines have functional interlocks except my old fadal that didn't have a functioning interlock when I bought it. I tried to fix it but fadal had switched to a newer design and couldn't get it to work on my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    I had an operator crash my sl-10 a few years ago because the door accidentally opened and stopped the machine. His solution was to reset the machine and hit cycle start.
    This could have been avoided by a simple G-Modal Header at the beginning of the program.

O01010
    G0G40G54G80G99M5
    G28U0W0M9
    M1
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    I had an operator crash my sl-10 a few years ago because the door accidentally opened and stopped the machine. His solution was to reset the machine and hit cycle start. The machine wasn't programed to go home before a toolchange so when he hit cycle start he broke a 1/2" spot drill on the chuck. No major damage, just a slightly mis-aligned turret It does make me appreciate the other machines at my shop that actually lock the door during operation so the door can't open.

FWIW, all my machines have functional interlocks except my old fadal that didn't have a functioning interlock when I bought it. I tried to fix it but fadal had switched to a newer design and couldn't get it to work on my machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    This could have been avoided by a simple G-Modal Header at the beginning of the program.

O01010
    G0G40G54G80G99M5
    G28U0W0M9
    M1
    thats what we did on all out lathes to avoid operator screw-ups, I did get good at indicating turrets in on all the machines in the shop, I was able to them then in a few mins/ every time I had a new operator it happened a few times a month.

Best one was cause by me OOOPS had to re aling the head stock, geneva gears are pretty damn strong on a turret when the tool and part of the id tool holder is in the part and chuck......

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    LOL, I watched a new Mazak Horizontal throw Tools against the Wall about 10 years ago. They could have used a Door Interlock on that junker. It was a CAT50 to boot.

TOOL CHANGE EVERYBODY DUCK!!!!!!!!!
    did you ever see a acroloc? never had tool changer problems but had some tools fly off the spindle at 6500 rpms and spin like tops in the shop. those holders weighed close to 20 lbs

I pinched this during cut-off on a Dianichi BX45. This broke the pin in the Turret, wiped out all my drills and boring bars. LOL, the guy next to me had to check his drawers. 5/8 Hex 316L SS.

This is what I get when I leave it up to the operator to change the cut-off insert. He didn't last very long, LOL.

In the last pic, he thinks he is good with a calculator
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pinch1.jpg   pinch2.jpg   pinch3.jpg   pinch4.jpeg  

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Just wanted to update the thread with my final resolution for this problem for future reference.

1. Set "max spindle speed with door open" to 6000 (max spindle speed on my mini mill)
    2. Set "stop spindle on door open" to 0

Now, if the door opens, we get a feed hold, but the spindle continues at my programmed speed. I can manually stop the spindle if needed. When the door closes, the program continues. This way we at least get some of the safety of the door interlock (I don't turn off parameter 51 since i vaporized a drill bit with the door open).

Seems that depending on other parameters or control age, you may have to press cycle start, but i don't.

Everything's good now - thanks for everyone's input.