585,978 active members*
4,384 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1988 Fanuc tape cut edm HELP!

I am trying to get programs into our edm with the rs232 port our manual doesn't have the pages in it to tell us how to do it. Can anyone help with the procedure? (From the setting in hypertermial all the way to what to do on the fanuc control.) We just bought the machine. I don't even know if the cable is wired correct. I'm sure it's simple but when you don't have any idea it's not!

EDM Tape Cut

I need a little more information. post a picture on this site of the machine. and what manufacture and series is the machine. Elox Fanuc went from N all the way T ect. You can privately email the info if you wish.

Doug,
    There is a 232 port on the front of the machine. The cable I need help with is the one from our computer to the fanuc. We have one but are not sure how it should be wired and think it could be one of our problems, along with not knowing for sure how to load a program. We aren't even sure what setting to use on the computer. We paid $1800 for it and know that it ran, we can dry run it on there programs so I am confident that when we figure out how to get a program in it will work. I don't know how to send pictures to you here, I you would send me a e-mail and I can send them that way, or tell me how to attach a file to this. My address is ? I can't find any model number anywhere on the machine.

Thanks for your help,

Ted

Ted,

It sounds as if your one step ahead. what you need to do is find out what the EDM Parameters are set for communications. (I will get the block numbers for our machine) and they should be close to where yours are, or if you have the operators manual, look for the Parameter number for RS232. set these numbers into the communication program (DNC Program).

Now to download the program that's another Problem. My partner is the operator and i will get the info tomorrow. I do know that you have to delete the program that's in memory. Or you can load it as another program in the Que.

I have attached a Word Document with the Pin out for the cable.

Doug
    Attached Files Attached Files

RS232 Communication Problems

The parameters should be 310 to 313

310 = 110010
    311 = 011001
    312 = 011001

The parameters should be set at the PC with these parameters

4800 Baud
    2 Stop Bits
    Data Bits = 8
    Even Parity

Check the options for setting the EDM to accept RS232
    At the screen / Handy / set I/O = 1

To enter a program into the EDM follow steps.

Program Source Keys = Edit mode /
    At the Screen = Program / Type in 0? (this program number can not be used at the time of programing)
    At the screen = read

At this point you should have a flashing Edit in the lower right or at the bottom of the screen.

Now go to the Download computer and send the program. If it works the program should be displayed on the screen.

Type in the program number you want to use. ( we always use 01 ). so there is no confusion.

If you do this then you have to delete the program that's using that number.

Edit = 0? Delete key

Hope this helps.

Fanuc Wire Cut

It looks like a Fanuc Wire Cut. There were three companies that I know of that used the same configuration. Elox, Pratt-and-Whitney, & Fanuc.
    It looks as if it has been well used. I bet the reason the people that you got it from claimed it was running to slow. The one we bought was from a place down in Indianapolis IN, and they claimed it ran slow. And it really did. We tried a 1 1/2" piece of steel for are test and it's actual feed rate was .032 inches per minute. After a few modifications we are now running for a 1 1/2" piece of steel around .088 inches a minute. That's almost a threefold increase. The Control looks like a "O" Model control same screen as ours and same button panel same year, I will get the Fanuc Operators Manual Part number for you later tomorrow.

Is this for a OM CONTROL OR THE 6M.......?

Ours Is the OM model Fanuc Elox.

Quote Originally Posted by gabedrummin View Post
    Is this for a OM CONTROL OR THE 6M.......?
    Ours Is the OM model Fanuc Elox. but it should be the same as yours. from the pictures and the control console it looks like a OM.

My machine has the om control you can tell by main board number and if it has a sticker type key board...I had hell trying to get my rs 232 to work . Found out that the cable comming from the main board that goes to the db25 plug on the machine was wrong.......What is main board number..?

Any way I can talk you out of a copy of your parmaeter list....I bought a wire two years ago it is a modle O with a om control .I got the machine running .With a list from a w machine ......You could realy help me out with a copy......thanks