585,938 active members*
3,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

timing belt width?

Hi, Im designing a kit for the mini mill that uses timing pullies and belts. I am trying to figure out what width belts I should be using, I was thinking 3/8" would definately be good but I am measuring some parts and I dont think they will quite fit where I want to put them.
    Will 1/4" belts work for 272oz-in motors on the mini mill with stock leadscrews? I am assuming that it wouldnt be a problem, am I correct on this?

Let me know,
    Jon

This is an excellent link for timing belt information and design
    http://www.sdp-si.com/herb/spk/sdp-si/D260/D260cat.htm
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I use xl belts and pulleys on my mini-mill conversion. I keep the gibs very tight and use 2.1 to 1 plastic cog pulleys on the ball screws and steel pulleys on the steppers. Works well and is economical. Only been done for a month and the plastic pulleys on the ballscrews show no signs of wear or distortion.

What width belts are you using on your machine?

Jon

3/8ths belts

I am using 3/8ths belts. They are plenty for the mini-mills and lathes. I even setup a stepper on my 7045fg Lathemaster.com bench mill and they work there as well. This was done with a spud on the existing lead screw of the big mill. I just wanted to make sure the 276 inch ounce steppers could push the table and do cutting in steel. On the big mill I used 2.8 to 1 cog pulley drive. Except for slow rapids, I was surprised that this setup worked as well as it did with the OEM acme lead screws. Maybe someday I will add ballscrews to the Lathemaster. Right now I am working on cnc'ing an enco xy table that I can use either to extend the travel on the mini-mill or clamp on the table of the 7045fg to add 2 axis cnc to the big bench mill yet still keep it as a manual machine. I am retired so this is a fun experiment. I just got the Arcsin board from buildyouridea.com. This provides plenty of drive with 276 inch motors with a bit more than the rating of 2.8 amps spec'd for the motors. Hope I don't cook them. I heard that you are working with Rod on direct drive for the mini-mill spindle. I have been thinking of doing this myself. If I am not mistaken, I believe you are the one using a big treadmill motor mod. I sure would like to see pic's

take care,

John Ocala Florida

I am using 9mm wide HTD belts with 187 OzIn steppers on my mini lathe, and by mistake drilled a hole through one belt (don't ask). Keep using it for about 8 months before it stretched enough where the hole was to jump the pulleys. I also had no guarding on the belt so it swallowed a far bit of swarf. I'd say this gives a high degree of confidence that a cared for, guarded 9mm (3/8") belt will be fine.
    Regards,
    Mark

Hi,

I'm busy with a conversion for a micro mill. I've got some 5mm pitch, 10mm wide Syncroflex belts for it. I obviously haven't used them yet, but if those don't hold out, then I don't know what will, because they're TOUGH!!!

I'm going to use them with 180Ncm (254 ozin) motors. If I remember correctly, the datasheet mentioned 5kW somewhere for maximum power transmission - I can't see that being too small...

Warren

timing belt question.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a online store that sells a MXL .25" width, .08" pitch MXL timing belt?

Checked e-bay out but seller that has 'em don't accept international sales---including canada.

Please Help.