584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

really dumb question

I tried using a program called deskengrave on my vertical cnc mill and the text came out mirrored and upside down however it shows correct in mach3. I looked it up online and someone said it could be that its jogging the wrong direction . Im not sure which way the machine should move.I am a confused newb.

Right now when i jog x left the table moves left ,tool goes right .Is that correct?

Does the direction it jogs manually matter when the program is running automatically? How can i tell if my machine is moving the correct way when running a gcode?

When i home the table moves towards me in the Y and table moves to the right in the x. so the tool moves to the left and to the back.
    Grizzly G0602-AXA QCTP<<< Soon to be CNC and 3PHA-VFD !
    7x14Lathe, X2cncmillG540 Solidworks,HSMworks,VcarvePro

Try standing on the opposite side of the mill.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    Try standing on the opposite side of the mill.
    ??? if i do that its not upside down but its still mirrored

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnis View Post
    I tried using a program called deskengrave on my vertical cnc mill and the text came out mirrored and upside down however it shows correct in mach3. I looked it up online and someone said it could be that its jogging the wrong direction . Im not sure which way the machine should move.I am a confused newb.

Right now when i jog x left the table moves left ,tool goes right .Is that correct?

Does the direction it jogs manually matter when the program is running automatically? How can i tell if my machine is moving the correct way when running a gcode?

When i home the table moves towards me in the Y and table moves to the right in the x. so the tool moves to the left and to the back.
    You need to reverse your step direction for the X and Y axes. Your table should move right when you jog left(negative). For Y your table should move away from you when you jog Y negative.
    Shoptask rebuild:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2139
    Home built gantry router:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5049

Ok, ok....
    Write a VERY basic program, like:

G0 X0 Y0 G54 G90 (MOVE SPINDLE TO MIDDLE OF TABLE
    G1 X5. F10. (TABLE SHOULD MOVE LEFT
    G1 Y5. F10. (TABLE SHOULD MOVE TOWARDS YOU

In the X move the table should be moving left because the cutter is moving in a POSITIVE X relative to the part. Same thing for Y.

Think of yourself as the cutter, and where YOU (as the cutter) are moving relative to the program zero in absolute mode ( G90 )

so the x axis home switch should be on the right side of the table and the Y axis home switch should be towards the back of the mill correct?

Right now i have the Y axis home in the front on the stepper mount and the x axis on the left part of the table.

that kind of depends on how the switches are setup, but if I were to guess on how you have them installed, yes, they should be on the other side!

It's easy to get confused. But the main thing is you need to think as the CUTTER not the table. 0,0 is usually on the left corner of the part, towards you. The CUTTER moves to the right with positive X numbers (which means the table moves to the left!) and the CUTTER "moves away" from you (which means the table moves towards you) with positive Y numbers.

Z positive is up, usually no confusion there

Rig whatever numbers you need to in Mach to make it happen like that. Now for jogging, I have it set up backwards - I think of jogging as moving the table to the right spot so the cutter can take over. I realize it's wrong, but I was doing it wrong for a few months before I realized it, so I'm sticking with it for now. I recommend you set it up correctly and just get used to it

Quote Originally Posted by TiagoSantos View Post
    that kind of depends on how the switches are setup, but if I were to guess on how you have them installed, yes, they should be on the other side!

It's easy to get confused. But the main thing is you need to think as the CUTTER not the table. 0,0 is usually on the left corner of the part, towards you. The CUTTER moves to the right with positive X numbers (which means the table moves to the left!) and the CUTTER "moves away" from you (which means the table moves towards you) with positive Y numbers.

Z positive is up, usually no confusion there

Rig whatever numbers you need to in Mach to make it happen like that. Now for jogging, I have it set up backwards - I think of jogging as moving the table to the right spot so the cutter can take over. I realize it's wrong, but I was doing it wrong for a few months before I realized it, so I'm sticking with it for now. I recommend you set it up correctly and just get used to it
    Thanks for the help guys . I got it all taken care of now without needing to change any wiring.

The X axis was correct in both tool moving and homing but not in jogging but jogging wouldnt effect the program.I just changed the jogging to the right way in hot keys.

The Y was the only axis that was backwards .The motor(tool movement),Homing and jogging were backwards. It was zeroing to the home switch in the front.I had to really think to fix this one. I reversed the motor in homing/limits setting so the motor is moving the correct direction.I thought i would have to rewire the homing switch however i was able to go into the inputs section and under Y home i changed it to input 1 where i have my limit switches wired so basically i turned the limit switch into a home thru mach3. I just tested the homing and now it moves the tool all the way foward and to the left

Table goes to the back and right to zero. I get it now. I also tested some rapid moves and all is well.

Is that correct?