584,837 active members*
5,022 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BobMill - Okay, I´ll go first

Well I just bit the bullet and ordered my first CNC machine. I was going to order the 1175 which I thought would work pretty good for me but I finally decided on the 2300. After talking with Al for quite a while it was obvious the 2300 was in a whole other class. I'm convinced the 1175 is a great product for the money but I am hoping to keep this machine busy and felt the 2300 was better suited for my plans.
    The reason I decided on the BobMill is because I am completely inexperienced with cnc and I feel having the complete machine/software package will be a benefit in learning. This way they can be a one stop shop for all my questions. I guarantee they are going to be earning their pay with me when it comes to technical support.
    I will finalize the sale Monday morning (submit payment) and then wait for the machine to arrive in about two weeks. I'm very excited (and scared) about the purchase and the new addition to my business.
    If anybody else has a comment or advice about the BobMill let's hear it, you won't be alone anymore. Just remember I am an absolute cnc novice!
    Another beautiful day in sunny Michigan!
    - Tim - www.tracktrends.com

I can't comment on the BobMills, except to say that they look quite nice and I'll be interested in hearing about your experience.

I don't know what software package they're bundling with the BobMill, but I would definitely recommend starting with V23. It's not perfect, but has many more features than V21 - especially on the CAM side.

Steve

I went for the V23 option and the BobArt software AND the tutorials. I'm going to have to get on the BobCad website and start watching their webinars.

Ordered a Bobmill 375

Hi,

I ordered a 375 and a pile of software about 2 weeks, I have received the software and training CD's, its looking pretty good. My mill still has not shipped but it should be soon I think......
    I also ordered some endmills and a block of that blue Machinable Wax, it's quite pricey for wax, I will try to make my own at some point.
    Well, I'll let you know how it goes....

JL

Would it be out of line to ask what kind of price you paid? I've been looking very hard at building a home CNC but if a turnkey machine is priced right, I may save myself the hassle.

If you'd rather not, that's cool. If there was a price list out there that someone could point me to that would be great also.

I thought about asking that same question, After looking at the specs and seeing that price, I just hope it was way less than half of that! You could buy two tormach's for that price!

Where did you get your numbers?

If you go online to tormach.com and to novakon or bobmill.com, the numbers are all right there, the bigger of the two are very closely priced.
    Tormach's smaller one is about twice the weight of the bobmill 375, which is bigger than I wanted.
    I am still waiting its arrival.... I hate waiting.
    JL

I don't like waiting either. I already have parts sold but I don't have a machine to make them with.

It's here... yes!

Now I just have to figure out how to get it out of my truck and into the shop.
    and how to set it up, and how to.....
    I figure a few months learning it and cutting wax, then some real parts. Then I will resurrect my knife making and start with some folders and automatics, maybe some parts for my AR-15 habit.....

JL

I'm really enjoying my V23 Bobcad. I wasn't sure what I was getting into really, after dealing with their less than proffesional salesteam, but I wound up getting it cheap enough I figured it had to be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by JLyons View Post
    Now I just have to figure out how to get it out of my truck and into the shop.
    and how to set it up, and how to.....
    I figure a few months learning it and cutting wax, then some real parts. Then I will resurrect my knife making and start with some folders and automatics, maybe some parts for my AR-15 habit.....

JL
    The 375 is roughly the size I'm looking at. Right now I can make the 40 mile trip to the shop and do my hobby stuff but I'd rather go down to the basement and quietly whittle away at my own leisure. Very interested in your thoughts. Please keep us posted!

In the shop.....

OK, took 4 of us to get it out of the truck and into the shop.
    I have started putting it together, If I thought I could have handled the tormach I would have gone that way.

There are a few issues right off the bat, some of the threaded holes in the stand had to be re-tapped, because of paint and crap. There are also small detail stuff that the Chinese manufacturers just cant get right. like the flexible wire conduits going to the stepper on the left side, It's not put on right so I have to redo it,, aaarrrggghhhhh!
    Anyhow, we'll see what else I find once I really get into it....

Quote Originally Posted by JLyons View Post
    If you go online to tormach.com and to novakon or bobmill.com, the numbers are all right there, the bigger of the two are very closely priced.
    Tormach's smaller one is about twice the weight of the bobmill 375, which is bigger than I wanted.
    I am still waiting its arrival.... I hate waiting.
    JL
    My mistake I was looking at the 2300 which is 14995.00

Very interested in your experiences! Keop us posted please.

MD

Didn't want to rush anyone....but how's it going?

Learning is Slow

I wish I knew someone that is close by using one of these.
    I am learning but it would be faster to have someone that could run through and do a checkout run for me.
    I have run it through a few paces, but I still have a long way to go.
    I am learning BobCad, BobCam, Mach3, BobArt, BobNest, Alibre and the machine itself, My time has been limited due to the various home projects.
    I have a couple of small jigs I want to make, I should make them on the mill out of aluminum, but they are very simple and it would be easy to do it on a drill press.

here we go...

JL

What happened? The web domain named BobMill.com has been locked and is now displaying a web page which appears to indicate that the Domain may be for sale!

I'm doing a survey of machine tools to see how many use the PC Parallel Printer Port. If I can't find the information online then I'm asking in the specific machine tool forums. Anyone know if BobMills use the PC Parallel Printer Port for communicating with the controller?

Bobmill

You might try the following URL for their contact information. They don't list how the 4 axis controller is fed on their specification PDF. Good luck.

BobMILL 1175 | TurnKeyMills | complete cnc Turn-key package comes with everything you need to get started... machines specs

Quote Originally Posted by Rockn-Roll View Post
    What happened? The web domain named BobMill.com has been locked and is now displaying a web page which appears to indicate that the Domain may be for sale!

I'm doing a survey of machine tools to see how many use the PC Parallel Printer Port. If I can't find the information online then I'm asking in the specific machine tool forums. Anyone know if BobMills use the PC Parallel Printer Port for communicating with the controller?
    The Mill with Servo drives uses an Ethernet Connection to talk to the Drives and Master Control Board. It also has a USB connection to a remote Ethernet card. The PC is an Industrial type PC running Windows 7, with a touch screen.
    I swapped the Mach3 Screen though to one I'm use to.