585,581 active members*
3,989 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > unrecoverable memory error
Page 1 of 2 12

unrecoverable memory error

unrecoverable memory error at 00ac

what causes this? how do I fix it.?

I dont get it all the time, every once in a while. when I do get it it tells me to type "NE" then says would you like to erase (current program) if I say yes 99% of the time I get the same msg again , it does not erase the program nor fix the problem.

I have defraged the system, cleared memory etc etc.

96 4020 fadal -5 cards with 8 megs of ram

Delw

Your memory is corrupted and need to be zeroed. attached is the Zero Memory procedure. Read it thru completely and then go back and follow it step by step. If it happens again or this does not fix the problem then you have either a bad memory expansion board or a bad CPU.

Neal
    Attached Files Attached Files

It happens about 5 times a year for the last 3 years.
    Remember I had the spindle motor over load #12 errors occasionally? well you org said you thought it was the CPU or MEM card and I did replace resolvers as requested by you and other fadal techs.

All my programs are sent via rs232 I keep NOTHING in memory.

I will give you a call this week and see what we can do to get it fixed permanitly.

Thanks Neal

Delw

I also have the 8MB memory...and the same issues. Eh, don't mind the occasional hiccup but like you said, never use the machine for program storage. It will happen when you least expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by SBC Cycle View Post
    I also have the 8MB memory...and the same issues. Eh, don't mind the occasional hiccup but like you said, never use the machine for program storage. It will happen when you least expect it.
    do you get motor overload #12 errors when you try to do thread milling? or milling a bore and dropping the z in a g3 or g2 move?

running X Y and Z is fine except in the above conditions like with any helical move g03 or g02 X Y Z ... g01 No problem

I just got the UNRECOVERABLE MEMORY ERROR and I couldn't even do the Zero Memory procedure. I could not do a cold start. I was able to Re-initialize the memory to get past the error with the RI command.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadal Error View Post
    I just got the UNRECOVERABLE MEMORY ERROR and I couldn't even do the Zero Memory procedure. I could not do a cold start. I was able to Re-initialize the memory to get past the error with the RI command.
    Never had that problem. I still get the error every few months last a week then dissapears.

This thread helped me with the corrupt memory error, but:

When I got into the parameters page, some things were not correct for my machine as I have a 2001 50/20 and it was set on 40/20 along with other things not correct. So I know they were not correct to write then down or what they were set too before the memory problem.

Anyway, I did have the factory sheet showing what these were supposed to be, so I entered those. Machine will now cold start and looked to be operating correctly but: These are the things I noticed it doing or not doing, so something is probably set wrong. I am on format 1.

1. When starting a program it goes to the home position first and even when jumping to a place in the program, it's never done that before and just annoying.

2. I've had this happen a few time with different machines and restarting the machine has always taken care of this, but not now. When it's running a tool path it seem to stop for a split second at every line instead of a continual path?

3. The machine now will not rigid tap, it cycles over to the hole but never turns on the spindle and never tries to go down with the tool. It just moves to every hole and does nothing.

Those are what I have found so far, any help? Maybe I was on format 2.

Sorry a little ignorant when it comes to these machines.

Here is a segment of the tap cycle in case that helps:

N388T4M6( T4 - DRILL/MISC - .3125 DIA)
    N390S600M5M90
    N392G0X5.0515Y-5.578
    N394H4Z0.3M8
    N396G84.1G98X5.0515Y-5.578Z-0.775R+0.2S600F33.33333
    N398X1.5984Y-5.578
    N400X1.5984Y-0.422
    N402X5.0515Y-0.422
    N404G80
    N406M9
    N408G0Z0H0
    N410M1

These programs have always worked in the past, but I thought posting the G codes I was using might shine a light on what setting is wrong or different before that allowed it to work.

Thanks

I got it handled, it did need to be on format 2 instead of 1.

LOL ... I forget to turn off the feed and spindle Knobs before the g84.1 and it happens to me.

M49
    G84.1.....
    M48

Re: unrecoverable memory error

Over the weekend I have been trying to help my neighbour to solve the same problem. He is OK with generally using his 20/40 (same vintage) but this sort of (computer) system problem goes a bit too far and so he calls on me. He is not a native English speaker, I'm a British ex-pat living in The Netherlands. I created a user account here a few years ago when I was building/converting a mini-mill to CNC running on LinuxCNC, so my knowledge of Fadal's is rather limited, I'm a retired Systems Analyst with a model engineering hobby. OK so far, as to who we are.

We have run through this procedure in the document supplied by Neal a couple of times but it hasn't completely solved the problem. When I arrived to look into it he had been messing around with settings himself and the BL command showed no existing values. Luckily he had a print out stuck to the back of the pendant so after following the steps shown (whilst also referencing the Fadal manual) we managed to add all the saved and known data, and again restarted the machine. So now when it starts we see a different message on the screen:

"You have a version upgrade or memory has been corrupted. Memory needs to be zeroed". According to the manual "This occurs when the control detects that a new module has been inserted". Now, of course, we haven't added any new modules but I have suggested that maybe due to the extreme temperature changes we experienced this summer the hardware has been affected in some way.

Another problem which I can't seem to find a solution for is that the Tool Table as displayed seems to be corrupted. My neighbour says that he used to see the data for the 21 tools displayed in ordered lists, now it is (AFAICS) the same data but jumbled up on the screen. Searches on the forum only seem to turn up tool changer problems.

Any help or pointers gratefully received.

Regards, Martyn

...the "Zero Memory" procedure is on page 328 of 724 pdf Maintance Manual link below
    https://nxgenparts.com/content/Fadal...e%20Manual.pdf

Good luck,
    DJ

...also, Very important you must record the AXIS Survey numbers if, you have the newer Axis boards -5 and -6 I think. you can print/store all of them out via RS232... there is a Parameter stored on the Z card that affects the the Tool Changer Height offset for your machine. SVZ,10000

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...the "Zero Memory" procedure is on page 328 of 724 pdf Maintance Manual link below
    https://nxgenparts.com/content/Fadal...e%20Manual.pdf

Good luck,
    DJ
    Thanks but, as I wrote in my post, we have already been through this procedure as described in post #2 by Neal

...also, Very important you must record the AXIS Survey numbers if, you have the newer Axis boards -5 and -6 I think. you can print/store all of them out via RS232... there is a Parameter stored on the Z card that affects the the Tool Changer Height offset for your machine. SVZ,10000
    AFAIK the machine has no new boards, everything is original '95. The problem mentioned has nothing to do with parameter problems with the Tool changer, it is solely about the way the parameters of the Tool Table are displayed in the pendant screen. Maybe I should attach a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipmate View Post
    AFAIK the machine has no new boards, everything is original '95. The problem mentioned has nothing to do with parameter problems with the Tool changer, it is solely about the way the parameters of the Tool Table are displayed in the pendant screen. Maybe I should attach a photo.
    ...after a Zero memory one more thing has to be set. move the Tool Drum to position #1 then, using SETTO at the Command Prompt may clear the screen up.

...after a Zero memory one more thing has to be set. move the Tool Drum to position #1 then, using SETTO at the Command Prompt may clear the screen up.
    Aah! - OK. We'll give that a try. I was just going round to my neighbour's place now he's finished with (daily) work.

OK. So it seems to be fixed. We didn't directly use SETTO as when I arrived he'd already been reading the manual and used the RI command fully. So yes to: ZERO TOOL TABLE; ZERO FIXTURE OFFSETS; REINITIALIZE MEMORY. Earlier we'd done the Reinitialize Memory but not the others. This evening we've checked and, where necessary, re-entered parameters. Dry run seems to be OK so tomorrow we'll run a program and see how it goes.

Thanks to everybody.

...oh good to hear. I would suggest to watch the 1st Tool change or even do a Tool change or Step thru without any tool holders very 1st time. This to make sure the Z axis is in the correct height position.

DJ

Page 1 of 2 12