585,883 active members*
4,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > (Mastercam) Program 4th axis contour around rectangular part

Angry (Mastercam) Program 4th axis contour around rectangular part

I am new to the forum and would appreciate any help I can get. I will try to describe this the best i can. I have a rectangular shaped hollow part with . 060 wall thickness. I need to make a simple 2d cut around the part with my cutter only entering about .150 deep. This will seperate the part into (2) pieces. The cut contains lines and arcs. I am not that familiar with programming the 4th axis in mastercam, I did get it to run my path and rotate the part, but the tool is not perpendicular to the plane it is cutting.
    Any advise will be very helpful.

Thank you

Which Version of Mastercam??
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

If programming 3+1 axis ( the 4th axis is positioning only )

Then your WCS and planes may be the problem

The WCS for each operation would be the view you have for your TOP view, the C/T planes for each operation, are set to how the tool is to address the part

ie using the standard mastercam views
    machine the front face ---WCS = TOP, T&C planes = FRONT

NOTE- the back and bottom standard views will be 180° rotated around Z-axis (upside-down), you will have to create the correct views

I am currently running Mastercam 9.1. In reguards to Supermans response If I am understanding you correctly, I want to run a continuous path around the rectangular part without interupting the cut. So the 4th axis should not start to rotate until in reaches the corner of the part. My attachment shows what i am trying to cut, the cylinder going through the center of the part indicates center of rotation.

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th axis part 1.jpg  

So the 4th axis should not start to rotate until in reaches the corner of the part.
    It doesn't program that way. 4th axis rotary even for what you're doing will start right away... even from a lead in if you have it. It takes a custom post to move along a plane until a corner is reached for rotary.

However, you can "cheat" this by seperating the cuts and pasting them after posting. Cut the plane, rotary on the corner, cut next plande, rotary on corner, etc, etc.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....