585,917 active members*
3,558 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > Which software to engrave with CNC mill?

Which software to engrave with CNC mill?

I need to engrave plaques using a small CNC mill. Black plastic over brass stock. I apologize if I am not using the correct terms.

Currently I am trying to find the right software. I read somewhere that some programs will raise a v bit to reduce line width. Some fonts need this. I have not seen any software to do it.

Currently I am playing with VisTool Engraving but there seems to be no support the program. The help files are missing. I have generated the gcode for a test that I will mill tomorrow. It is the sort of program I am looking for. Mostly I can take true type fonts and it will generate a pattern to cut out the interior.

I am still crawling on this but need to find my way soon.

Currently we have a diamond drag bit and a flat bottomed milling bit (D) .030 in. I like the idea of a rotating cutter more so then the scratch/drag.

What software do you recommend ?

Looking into Google Sketchup -> CamBam

I would like to hear how others do text engraving for plaques.

cnc mill

does your cnc mill want G-Code or does hpml code work?

Quote Originally Posted by benji2505 View Post
    does your cnc mill want G-Code or does hpml code work?
    I am using a MAX10 NC. It uses gcode.

I am getting closer. Using inkscape->DXF ->CAMBAM

Still a bit confused about the scaling. All the letters created with the 3D text tool seem to end up 1" tall in CAMBAM. I am looking for an easy way to scale the entire loaded file.

EDIT:
    If one selects mm as the scale in inkscape the scaling is ok.
    If one selects inches in inkscape cambam converts 1 mm to 1 inch.

try this

www.2linc.com

they have a decent software that translates everything into G01 commands, so it is highly compatible with most GCodes.

Other than that most CAM softwares have an engraving section.

Re: Which software to engrave with CNC mill?

Try this online text to cnc generator, it helped me.
    Text to CNC

Have you looked at Products - Cut2D. I started with this program as it had single fonts built in, which came in really handy. I have used the 2linc software, it worked well also, I got a intro version when I bought the spring loaded tool. But it only had one font where as cut2d had several single line fonts plus what ever is on your system, how ever you have the option to purchase more.

I have used the Text Milling from textmilling.com. Could solve my task with their 30 day trial. It has a straightforward user interface and is very easy to get started with. The software feels new and updated unlike other similar software I've tested.

Quote Originally Posted by 3v0 View Post
    I need to engrave plaques using a small CNC mill. Black plastic over brass stock. I apologize if I am not using the correct terms.

Currently I am trying to find the right software. I read somewhere that some programs will raise a v bit to reduce line width. Some fonts need this. I have not seen any software to do it.

Currently we have a diamond drag bit and a flat bottomed milling bit (D) .030 in. I like the idea of a rotating cutter more so then the scratch/drag.

What software do you recommend ?
    If you are doing V-carving, Vectric V-Carve Pro will do exactly what you want.
    It costs about $700 and is worth every penny.
    It will use any Windows font.
    You can engrave with a diamond or use a v bit and carve out letters that have a chiseled look.
    The v-carved letters can be cut with a rising bit that will thin the serifs.
    Check out their free download.
    It will now ever carve 3-d objects.
    I have used V-carve for many years on my ShopBot and am always amazed with how easy and how well it works.
    There are many YouTube tutorials showing all that it can do.

Dennis

you can use finer tip than that..
    raising out the bit would help if you work with 120 deg tip.. with 30 deg tip it doesn't help ..

0.1 or 0.15 mm tip should work..

you could try artcam express.. for express you can buy fonteditor creating single line fonts..

they will be true single line fonts , single stroke..

express cost itself 180 and everything is in you ever need for engraving..
    the fonteditor modul 250..
    and it capable otf ttf and the single line font..

ArtCAM is one of the options. Their Express version is cost-effective and very powerful. Long time user.

On this subject has anyone used a X2 mill for engraving? Heard that the spindle speed is too low. What have you guys done or will it engrave at 2500 RPM. I am looking at engraving AR15 lowers with SN and graphics. Any info is appreciated.

Take a look at F-Engrave. Does a great job and it's free!

Yes, you heard right - 2500 RPM is way too slow for engraving, if you're talking about cutting fine lines. If you can use a relatively large-tip ball end cutter, it might work better. 25,000 RPM is about minimum if you want to use the sharp-pointed engraving tools. The problem is that the cutter tip is so small, that it takes a lot of revolutions of the tool to take enough material away so it can proceed. So a toolpath that should take minutes takes hours instead. If you really want to do engraving with your X2, mount an auxiliary air spindle to the head for that; they spin pretty fast although they don't generally have a lot of torque.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Yes, you heard right - 2500 RPM is way too slow for engraving, if you're talking about cutting fine lines. If you can use a relatively large-tip ball end cutter, it might work better. 25,000 RPM is about minimum if you want to use the sharp-pointed engraving tools. The problem is that the cutter tip is so small, that it takes a lot of revolutions of the tool to take enough material away so it can proceed. So a toolpath that should take minutes takes hours instead. If you really want to do engraving with your X2, mount an auxiliary air spindle to the head for that; they spin pretty fast although they don't generally have a lot of torque.

Thanks for the Info...Where do you see these air spindles?

If you're just using this occasionally, an air-powered die grinder will probably be the most cost-effective solution. There are lots of brands to choose from; Ingersol Rand is one of the most respected: Ingersoll Rand Die Grinder
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    If you're just using this occasionally, an air-powered die grinder will probably be the most cost-effective solution. There are lots of brands to choose from; Ingersol Rand is one of the most respected: Ingersoll Rand Die Grinder
    Can I use a small trim router to do this?