585,715 active members*
3,806 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Laser Engraver import to USA

I am considering the purchase of a Chinese Laser Engraver and importing it to the USA. Has anyone done this? I have contacted Artsign and Triumph and got machine pricing. I also have an email into Jcut... I was able to give them local international airports to get air freight quotes. Can anyone tell me how to find a seaport near me? I am located near Reading PA, which is only about 1.5 hours from Philly and 2.5 hours from NYC. Will I have to pay import taxes on the Engraver? If so, how much?
    Can anyone give me a reccomendation on any of these manufacturers?
    Artsign is FDA and CE certified. Triumph's machine isn't FDA certified, but they told me they have shipped to the USA without problems. I am still waiting to hear from Jcut...

Thanks,

I live in northwest PA and in Oct. of 2007 I imported an LC6090 laser from G. Weike (wklaser.com). It's over 2 years old and still runs like a champ. You might want to check out this brand also.

If you search back through my posts, I listed the import costs in a post. I had mine come via ship to LA and then by rail to Pittsburgh, and then by truck to my door. WK Laser has a freight forwarder that they work with in LA that took care of all the details of customs and shipping and I just had to send them a check.

This fellow got the same machine sent to LA, then to Seattle. He lists all the details on his website. http://www.polygonlabs.com/blog/?page_id=6 If you can't find my post, this might give you some idea of the customs fee and duty.

It's not very difficult to import one, but you need a freight forwarder to handle the details of getting a customs broker and getting it cleared, and arranging shipping.

There may be other ways to go about it, but that is what I did and it went very smooth.

Hope that helps
    Skip

SkipW,
    Thanks for the info. I searched through your posts and found lots of helpful info. I just mailed WK for prices. Is there really any differences between their cutters and engravers, other than size?
    Artsign has told me it can also sent by Air or Carrier. I am waiting to hear back from them with pricing on this. Triumph will ship there machine by DHL freight for $600, with a delivery time of 8 days. I assume the customs end of it is handle by the carrier, and I would only be responsible for the duty on top of the shipping charges...

You're welcome, glad to help. Another option for you would be to check out Legacy Lasers in PA ( http://www.legacylasers.com/index.html ) The owner is Dean Novakowski. He has some good deals, good lasers, and local support, which is worth a lot.

The difference with the WK Laser cutting (LC) and engraving (LG) models is in the drive system, but either model will cut or engrave, so I'm not sure why they do that. Maybe one of the reps from WK Laser that post here can explain.

Skip

Still waiting for a reply from WKlaser... How long does it usually take for them to reply?
    No answer from Artsign on Air or carrier freight yet either...

"Tina" from WKLaser posts here. Her email is [email protected] Maybe you can try that email or send a private message here http://www.cnczone.com/forums/member.php?u=163754

Still nothing from WK. I mailed Tina this morning.
    At this point, it looks like it will be the Artsign machine. They have been very helpful. They got me pricing on Air, Sea, and DHL. They also gave me the contact info for an agent in the US, but they are in California. Sea is by far the cheapest. I will probably have it sent by sea.

I think China is on average 12 hrs ahead of Eastern time. 8:00 AM here, 8:00 PM there.

Glad at least Artsign is getting back to you. I think most of the people that have their lasers are happy with them.

I got pricing from WK. There pricing is almost identical to Artsign. It appears that I picked the wrong time to be ordering. They have a Spring Festival Holiday that is a week long, in the beginning of February. I think I might go with the LG900, if they can get it out before the Holiday.

If manufacturer will ship out equipment from factory it doesn't mean that equipment will start motion to USA because whole China will celebrate. Be honestly you have choose worst time for ordering. One week before and one week after Spring festival quality of all equipment, assembled in China, is not perfect. All warehouses are full of shipments and there is bigger possibility of something unusual like delay or broken packaging

Thanks for the reassurance

Just thought you might also check out www.scottware.net .. They sell laser machines. They import from China and sell from their stock in CIncinnati, Ohio. Your waiting time is just a few days... and no worries about taxes, freight forwarders, customs brokers ..etc.

Ray

Hello everyone:
    I bought a laser machine Artsign (JINAN ARTSIGN SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY LTD.) JSM3060U specifically with a 60W tube.

Without commenting on the machine and finish as received, the problem is that it has been running exactly 20 minutes. After 20 minutes has given me an error in the connection to the PC via the USB connection and now says "Unknown Device USB device error." Software NewlyDraw also gives me a port error.

I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and software. I've done it again (installing from 0) from another PC and still gives the same problem. It seems as if the motherboard had worsened.

Does anyone know what can happen?

The worst thing of all, it took 4 days of writing these ArtSign emails unanswered. I call on the phone and hang me or not automatically pick up the call. For Skype or MSN no signs of life ...

The truth is that I am quite concerned. Can anyone help me?.

Thank you all in advance
    Greetings from Spain

hello cncspain,

pls add my msn
    then I will talk more with you,

sunny

The most likely cause is the USB cable, if you are are using the one they provide (very low quality).

I would also check that you are not connected via a hub, some PC's have multiple USB ports (front, back etc) but they are really connected to a powered hub built into the motherboard. If possible connect the unit directly to a master USB connector (usb#0) with a quality cable (5ft or less).

Zax.

Agree with zax about first step.

SunnyChu - if you want advice and HELP - best way is post here

When Chinese Laser engraving machine being exported to US, AMS and ISF will be needed. Well understanding of these two documents is important. Or you will be fined by the US imported department is any details missed.
    www.yorklaser.com
    [email protected]

Smartman - check carefully - cncspain ask TECHNICAL SUPPORT and he is NOT FROM USA

to the person considering a Triumph Laser from China

ok - I am totally new to this forum, so sorry in advance if I step on anyone's toes...

I also am considering a Triumph laser cutter. Did you purchase from Triumph? Does the machine perform as expected?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Hello:
    After 1 year using my chinesse laser, I can not recomend it. The quality is very bad.
    If you need a minimun precision, do not buy one of this machines. I am sorry for this, but i have wasted my money. I can not use the machine for profesional use.

If you want a expensive toy, buy one, but if you want a good machine buy a trotec, epilog or any other machine. I have tested during 1 hour a profesional one last week (i do not say the brand name ) and i wanted to cry... There is too much diferent to my chinesse laser cutter.

If you want to use the machine for profesional use, buy a well known brand name. If you can not pay it, think on change your business. I had to do this.

It is my honest opinion and sorry for my bad english.

BEst.

P.D.: i sell very cheap a chinesse laser cutter/engraver in Spain.. If someone is interested, please, contact me. )

Page 1 of 2 12