584,849 active members*
4,227 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Viper200 in EMC2

I want to use my Viper 200 drives with EMC2. From what I can find it won't work because EMC2 uses PWM and not step/direction for servos.

Gecko's have the same problem however there is a Pico Systems Gecko Interface card that requires the Pico stepper controller board also. It is a fairly expensive combo however it allows you to use Gecko's.

Will this work with the Viper drives instead of the Gecko's?
    Seems like it would but I don't want to buy anything until I verify the Vipers will also work.

couldn't you run these in EMC2 as steppers? I wouldn't think it would know the difference.

A step/direction driver for a servo or a stepper is the same thing from the point of view of the CNC software.

Here are the pinouts the pico card uses for the Gecko:
    1 Gecko Enc -
    2 Err/Res
    3 Phase B
    4 Phase A
    5 Enc +

http://pico-systems.com/gecko_pins.html
    http://pico-systems.com/images/geckouse1.pdf

Not sure if the Err/Res would translate properly to the Viper?

From what I could find out the problem is that EMC2 needs the encoder feedback to go to the controller. With the Viper 200's it goes to the drive. The Pico card splits the encoder signals so they can go to both.

The card will work on Gecko's which need the encoder signals like the Viper 200.

Are Gecko's the same as Viper's? I am not sure if there is a difference enough to make the card work or not work.

UPDATE- The Viper200 will work with EMC2.

I verified it in the EMC2 forum however you loose your XYZ position on a fault which is a real pain when machining a job. I have not verified if the PICO Systems Gecko card will solve the problem. Looks like it will but not confirmed yet.

I would pay $500.00 extra to not have to home and indicate my zero points when I get an axis fault. When I machine stuff I like to zero off two edges of a block and if I stall an axis it is extremely time consuming and sometimes impossible to find my exact Zero again. I figure I better pass this along to people just starting with cnc.

You can reset the Viper200 and not need to home the axis. It just clears the internal counters and holds where it is.
    You would need to only power the encoder +5v from the EMC board and not connect the +5 encoder power from the Viper.
    Grounds between the EMC BOB and Viper control side would need to be short and well though out, so encoder signals don't get corrupted.

I think EMC outputs step/direction, doesn't it ?

Larry K
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Yes EMC2 outputs step and direction.
    It might actually be fine after a fault. I will be testing mine shortly.

I would think since the encoder is tied to the drive the encoder signal can't be interrupted or else you won't know where you are. Even if everything stopped and you re-powered something could move slightly and you could be out of position.
    Now if the control had the encoder signals it wouldn't matter what happened to the drive to keep your xyz positions.
    I think the Pico would be a reassuring thing to have but like you say it might not be needed.