501,631 active members
8,204 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123
    Registered

affordable brushless motors

IMTT USA (http://imttusa.com) has a line of very affordable brushless motors. These are not being marketed specifically as servo motors, but my tests show they work very well in precision servo positioning applications. They do NOT have an integral encoder, however, so you need to provide an encoder somewhere in the system. Probably the best option is to drive the leadscrew with a toothed belt and put an encoder on the end of the leadscrew with a flexible coupling. The smallest size 34 motor has 50 In-Oz continuous torque and lists for $89.70 in single quantity (they also have a sale on right now). The largest has 198 Oz-In continuous and is $149.29 list.

I have tested these motors with my brushless drive and they work well with very little hum or vibration. The only interfacing trick was to use 1K Ohm pull-up resistors on the Hall outputs.
    I can supply connection details to anyone wanting to hook these motors to my drives.

Jon

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by jmelson View Post
    IMTT USA (http://imttusa.com) has a line of very affordable brushless motors.
    Jon
    I have just gotten a NEMA size 23 brushless motor from Keling (KL23BLS-115, $52 plus shipping on 4 Lbs). These motors are pretty awesome. They do not have an encoder fitted to them, but the rear shaft is 1/4" and perfect for a small encoder to be installed. These motors work very nicely with my brushless PWM servo amplifiers.

Jon

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by jmelson View Post
    I have just gotten a NEMA size 23 brushless motor from Keling (KL23BLS-115, $52 plus shipping on 4 Lbs). These motors are pretty awesome. They do not have an encoder fitted to them, but the rear shaft is 1/4" and perfect for a small encoder to be installed. These motors work very nicely with my brushless PWM servo amplifiers.

Jon
    I have just tested out a Cui encoder that seems to work very well on this motor, and am planning
    on offering motors with encoders in the near future, so that I can provide motors that match with
    my servo amps and controllers. I haven't decided on a price, but maybe about $120 with the
    encoder fitted. This motor/encoder is in no way sealed, or even shielded, so you would need to deal with keeping the swarf and coolant out of it. It does have a "dust cover" over it.

Keling also has a size 34 motor available. Judging from the performance of the long-stack
    size 23, it must a real powerhouse! It is not as insanely cheap as the size 23, though.

Jon

Company Representative
    Keling also has a size 34 motor available. Judging from the performance of the long-stack size 23, it must a real powerhouse! It is not as insanely cheap as the size 23, though.
    I have a couple of the keling 23 and 34 and using them for testing my new brushless Viper servo drive. The Size 34 is a really nice motor with lots of torque.

Larry K
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Brushless Motors

Is anyone familiar with hollow shaft brushless servo encoder motors?

Jon,

Funny thing. I got that exact model to serve as my testbed reference motor for our upcoming field oriented control, field-weakening, space-vector modulated, feed-forward compensated PID BLDC servodrive. It will become the most instrumented motor in my experience.:-)

Seriously folks, these aren't sci-fi terms; look them up on Google. They sound cool but all they really mean is getting the most out of a modern BLDC motor servodrive.

Mariss

Hollow Shaft Brushless Servo Motors

I have been looking at the Allied Motion CM-900 motors for driving a 3.5" piston for moving 1,000ml water piston tank.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post
    Jon,

Funny thing. I got that exact model to serve as my testbed reference motor for our upcoming field oriented control, field-weakening, space-vector modulated, feed-forward compensated PID BLDC servodrive. It will become the most instrumented motor in my experience.:-)

Seriously folks, these aren't sci-fi terms; look them up on Google. They sound cool but all they really mean is getting the most out of a modern BLDC motor servodrive.

Mariss
    Very affordable, and has a rear shaft for mounting encoder. It makes a very clean servo if you don't have a very dirty environment.

Jon

Company Representative
    my testbed reference motor for our upcoming field oriented control, field-weakening, space-vector modulated, feed-forward compensated PID BLDC servodrive.
    Thats a mouthfull...... Mine will be running a 'Physics Engine'

LK
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Registered

Anaheim Automation's Brushless DC Motor

Has anyone tried Anaheim's brushless motors, BLWR23 Series Brushless DC Motors?
    http://www.anaheimautomation.com/pro...rs.php?vTID=96

Larken,

Hmm... Now, where have I heard that catchy phrase before?

Mariss

Gold Member
    What is the advantage/disadvantage of using brushless servos?

Page 1 of 3 123