I have three steppers with the following specs:

Step-Syn
    Type 103G770-2521
    DC 4.1V
    1.1A
    1.8DEG/STEP
    Sanyo Denki Co., LTD.
    6 Wires

Can any one help me? I need to figure out the pinout/ wire configuration of the motor before I wire it up. I've tried the company and they are no help.

hpapilot

>>Can any one help me? I need to figure out the pinout/ wire configuration of the motor before I wire it up. I've tried the company and they are no help.

One of the easiest ways to determine the internal connections of a stepper without any reference documents is with a multimeter, just check the resistance between the leads..
    In the photo below, the black is 'center tap' on the top windings..
    if the meter shows [for example] 20 ohms between the red and the red/white, then either black&red or black&red/white would show half of that, or 10 ohms..
    When it's hooked up if it seems to 'jitter' or not move correctly, or very jumpy, usually reversing on pair [the red & the red/white] would correct the phase shift properly..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stepper1.jpg  

This really helped. Within just a few minutes I was able to determine the correct wiring. Now I have one more question. Both center taps should be connected to positive power, correct? I have a resistor since I am using 12 volts, so should I just connect both the center taps to the resistor and then that to the control board(a stepper world SP-3)? I really want to make shure I get this right since this is my first experience with steppers.

You can connect both power feed leads [the center tap] to one resistor, but it's not normally done that way..mainly because of driver configuration.. Normally the current drop resistors are large, and off the main driver board, and while this will work in a straight full step driver, it doesn't in a driver board that ouputs half or micro step..
    If you are only driving one coil at a time, it's ok, but when you feed two [in half or micro step mode] you will feed more current [in total] through the resistor..
    easier to put two in for each motor / driver pair..

Thanks for the advice. Does this still apply based the attached diagram that came with the controller?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SEM061-fd02 wNew Colors lowres.JPG  

In the photo they show ONE current drop resistor, so { I Assume } that this is a full step drive only..in which case a single resistor will work..
    basically the same as the diagram I showed [black / white center taps],
    then the resistor, and then to driver..

sure..

enjoy..

What Is The Differance Between Slo-syn And Other Stepper Motors? Thanks John

Re: Step Syn Motors

Help needed, Hello, I wonder if anyone may help me with the wiring of a Step-Syn SANYO DENKI Stepping Motor Type 103G770-2521 I have a controller card for a NEMA 23 Stepper motor with 4 threads and this one has 6¡¡¡¡¡

in post two, use the diagram, and an ohm meter to find out internal wiring ... the center two would not be used with a four wire output controller

Thanks a lot, then I just have to ignore the two central wires and find out pairs with the help of an Ohmeter. Is that so?