585,762 active members*
4,263 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Programmer for hire...almost..

Hello everyone..my name is Charlie Luna...I live in Elwood, Indiana and I have been attending college full time to receive my Associate's Degree in CNC programming. I have been unemployed since November 2007 due to the downturn of the economy and I will be looking to contract out my services when I get closer to graduating.

My relevant classes are as follows: CNC programming 1 (coding by hand using G and M codes), CNC programming 2 (using GibbsCam Solidsurfacer), Advanced Programming Techniques (using GibbsCAM once again), Advanced Problem Solving and Teamwork, CAD/CAM 1 (using MasterCAM 13), Metallurgy, Basic Electricity, Materials and Processes, Intro to Machining, Turning and Milling Processes, Physics, College level algebra and geometry and Trigonometry (actually comes in handy), print reading, intro to government and politics, workplace safety, computer fundamentals.

As you can see, I am well versed. I do have a full working copy of Mastercam 13 courtesy of my school. I mainly do 2D work with it but I can do some 3D geometry (still working on that). I can take just about any print you have and convert it into a working program with optimized toolpaths for your machine.

The machines I have experience with are Okuma lathes, Full size haas machining center, mini haas milling center, hurco mills, bridgeport hand powered mills, and willis hand powered lathes. I do have 3 months of solid hands on experience with the okuma lathes since that was my job a few years ago.

I can open just about any file format in mastercam 13 including DWG, Solidworks, and past versions of mastercam. I will have to look into the other file formats to ease your mind into what i can accept.

My tentative pay rate will be $20 per hour. This is the first time I have done this so I will have to iron out any bugs when I start doing this. But I would like to get more into this the closer I get to graduating. I am choosing this as a possible full time job since I know the job market for my area of study is not in high demand but I want to offer a service where companies who can't afford the software or even hire a full time person to do it at their facility, I can at least do it from home.

other things i offer is a vast knowledge of computers and green energy sources and practices. i have been around computers since i was 9. i'm 35 now. so yeah, i know a thing or two.

tentative requirements for submission: these can either be email or hard copy. i can take both. i will look over what you send and give a rough estimate to the turn around. i will send you a non-disclosure document signed by me in order for you to feel confident that i will not give out your products to competition. industrial espionage and reverse engineering is not my forte.

if you have any questions, please feel free to comment on this thread or send my an email: [email protected]. thanks and have a great day or night!! i look forward to working with you.

i just remembered: tools and measuring devices!! digital calipers, vernier calipers, dial calipers, digital micrometers, vernier micrometers, tape measure, files, surface grinders, band saws, straightedges, dial indicators, edge finders. and the list goes on. i am confident in my use of these tools as well so i can take an actual part and take measurements to make prints and ultimately a program for your cnc machine.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_luna View Post
    I do have a full working copy of Mastercam 13 courtesy of my school.
    i will send you a non-disclosure document signed by me in order for you to feel confident that i will not give out your products to competition. industrial espionage and reverse engineering is not my forte.
    Uhh...have you ever read the terms of use agreement that came with your copy of Mastercam 13? "Courtesy" of your school? Why would somebody trust your non-disclosure agreement when you're advertising the illegal use a $20K+ seat of software?(nuts)

Here you go:
    Educational Pricing

If this Software was obtained through or in accordance with a CNC Educational Pricing plan, option, grant, schedule or program, it may not be used by anyone, including you, to conduct any computer aided design, computer aided drafting, computer aided machining, or training activities that, directly or indirectly, generate or otherwise result in monetary revenues for the benefit of any individual or any entity, other than the school that originally received this Software.
    http://www.mastercam.com/Legal/Licen...t/Default.aspx
    Greg

Luna,

You can't not used any patch or student version to make money, it's illegal. You can only use for to improve your skill, not to make good for industrial/individual.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Luna,

These guys are right and this is the case with most software suppliers.
    Sorry to rain on your parade but these License agreements are there for a reason.

BTW just so you know we have Licensed Mastercam Resellers on this site that will tell you the same as mentioned above.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

What does the licenced version of Mastercam cost?
    In our country, such use of student versions is also illegal,
    but isn't controlled by the government below a certain turnover.

Quoted somewhere else:
    -------------------------------
    12,000 is the list price for level 3

Or: How to develop a little business, try to do something in life, at 20$, and start with -12000$... not me.
    Let him try out, when it works he will automaticly evoluate to the full version.

I know it stays illegal, so let us all sit down, do nothing, try nothing, and stay unemployed till eternety.
    Remember: Passivation is the weapon. Don't get passivated.

Quote Originally Posted by RalcoBe View Post
    In our country, such use of student versions is also illegal,
    but isn't controlled by the government below a certain turnover.

Quoted somewhere else:
    12,000 is the list price for level 3

Or: How to develop a little business, try to do something in life, at 20$, and start with -12000$... not me.
    Let him try out, when it works he will automaticly evoluate to the full version.

I know it stays illegal, so let us all sit down, do nothing, try nothing, and stay unemployed till eternety.

Illegal is Illegal there is no way around it. If it were that easy to do no one would buy software. If they can get away with making free money, why would a person buy it?

Would you let someone live in your house for 6 months free with the promise that they will buy it, if they like it?? While you and your family are homeless??? "No".

This is no different.

Once you to Agree to a License it is a "Binding Contract" and you can't get around that.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Me too, I'm against illegal abuse of student versions.
    But what's legal-illegal is defined only by our governments.
    In my case, I won't be trying to be 100% legal, before the government itself is so.

Everyone has his own choice, limits and risks.

If it's the 'full version' with 5 axis and all the optional modules, it's over $20K when you're done with all the fees and a year of maintenance.
    Greg

Christ I remember when I got out of college and found a job it was for $2.75 an hour, and there was no pushing buttons, but rather changing gears and using a damned slide rule (why they ever made those stupid things I will never know). If your using a student copy of software to make a profit for yourself, for god sake man keep it to yourself. Nobody needs to know that.

Come work for us we will pay you $2/year.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

yep, i'm not doing it anymore. i've recently found this out and decided i wasn't going to do it. didn't know about the issues of making money off of it. but, that **** wasn't disclosed to me anyway from my professor until i wanted to do this. sorry if i pissed off anyone. i was clueless.

yep, i'm not doing it anymore. i've recently found this out and decided i wasn't going to do it. didn't know about the issues of making money off of it. but, that **** wasn't disclosed to me anyway from my professor until i wanted to do this. sorry if i pissed off anyone. i was clueless.
    Keep this in mind the next time you have any type of contract agreement. Read and understand what your agreeing too and if you do not understand it, ask a lawyer.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com