585,712 active members*
3,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Emc2 from Linux cnc freezes on startup, how to fix?

Our school has recently had an old CNC machine donated. We are now attempting to run it on gecko drives while controlling it with Emc2 software. Whether the gecko drives are connected to the computer or not, Emc2 freezes, when loading any of the mill configurations except for the SIM. this is the second install of the OS first time we used ubuntu and installed the software manually, then we used the linux CNC live CD of Ubuntu. Both of them had the same problem.

Thanks in advance

Mine does too

Quote Originally Posted by EvanGtown View Post
    Our school has recently had an old CNC machine donated. We are now attempting to run it on gecko drives while controlling it with Emc2 software. Whether the gecko drives are connected to the computer or not, Emc2 freezes, when loading any of the mill configurations except for the SIM. this is the second install of the OS first time we used ubuntu and installed the software manually, then we used the linux CNC live CD of Ubuntu. Both of them had the same problem.

Thanks in advance
    Mine freezes too, I have the xyz setting perfect and running in the set up, but then when I save my mill configuration and go back into it the whole computer freezes, I cant do anything not even shut it off without pressing the button

Most likely EMC2 is unhappy with some hardware/driver.
    Try swapping out the graphics card if one is being used. Older nVidia and Matrox cards have worked for me (hopefully you're a hardware pack rat). Test first with the open source drivers provided with Ubuntu before installing anything proprietary. You could also try using the on-board graphics but it's not generally recommended.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.