585,992 active members*
5,225 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

"Test this axis" - unexpected result

Every problem seems weird till you know the reason, so try this one for size.

In stepconfig, I've set the limit switch pins(11,12,13) to "Unused", on the assumption that this will remove any self-inflicted errors, due to my still not being sure what settings to use.
    Other pins are set using my controller cct diagram, or set to Unused.
    The parameters set on the next pages of stepconfig for X and Y axis are identical, apart from the maximum travel.
    Likewise, Z differs only in travel and mm/rev.

Testing X and Z axis, both jog and run work correctly.
    Testing Y axis, when I open the "Test this axis" window, I can hear the power go to the motor, and the shaft "locks up".
    However, neither Jog nor Run work, unless I open the NC limit switch on that axis, then each works.
    I've switched cables, and tested the X motor in the Y socket, and the Y motor in the X socket.
    The symptoms show the problem is only associated with the Y socket.
    If I have the "Run" on , and ease the plug gently into the Y socket, I can make the Y axis run OK, so some pin when unconnected allows it to work. Pushing right in locks up the Y motor.

I've tried reversing the step and direction settings for the Y axis, and inverting the signal for one or both, but no improvement.

Do these facts point to a specific source of the problem ?
    I suspect the controller, but I can't think what would produce this symptom - the supposedly disabled limit switch preventing the step signal getting through, unless the NC limit switch is opened (which ought to have the opposite effect).

John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

I've just re-read earlier posts I made re this controller, and think I have the answer.
    The Y axis, designed to have a two motor option, needs N/O limit switches.
    At least that's my interpretation, and certainly that's the condition in which the motor moves.
    So it looks like a swap round for that axis limit switches, though I would be happier with the fail safe that N/C give.

Any ideas how I can get fail safe with needing a low (?) on the input pin ?
    Perhaps I'm just being over cautious ?

John

Did you check your .ini file? I had a problem with stepconf inserting wrong values in mine and had to manually change them.

Thanks for the tip, marzetti, I'll have a look.
    John

I've run into a situatioin where Ubuntu wouldn't let me load up, so, not getting a quick answer, I've decided to make a fresh start, and reinstalled.
    At least I've learnt a fair amount this time round.
    John

So I've now reinstalled, updated, and set up a new stepconfig file.
    I've got the three motors on the bench, connected to the controller, with one N/C limit switch on each.

Whatever config I set up for the limit switches, with normal or inverted signals, using the "Run" command in "Test this Axis", operating the limit switch has no effect on X or Z motors, but the Y motor will only run if the switch is open.
    This remains the case whether or not a jumper is used on the limit switch pins of the Y2 socket, as required by the designer, and as was proved necessary with previous software.

I've attached the schematic for my controller.
    Attached Files Attached Files

In believe the axis testing routine ignores the limit switches.

Quote Originally Posted by marzetti View Post
    In believe the axis testing routine ignores the limit switches.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

But thanks, again marzetti.

Could anyone confirm marzetti's suspicions ?

John

I just checked on my machine to be sure and the limit switches are indeed disabled in the test routine.

Just to clarify my first post to this thread- the error I found in the step-conf wizard was that it inserted an inverted value for the home search velocity and I had to add a - sign to correct it. So it's possible that it misconfigures other values as well. The wizard is a good aid to set up but it bears checking.

Thanks, marzetti, for the update/confirmation.
    I've just returned in the early hours here, on this side of the pond, from a very convivial evening with friends.
    So in a warm mood I can take onboard the new info, and with Bruckner's 8th playing in the background, feel that all is not lost, and perhaps by tomorrow the ice and snow will have disappeared, the software will talk to me in civilized tones, as equals, and we will move forwards.

Tomorrow I shall see what the AXIS gui has in store for me, re limit switches.
    Regards
    John

OK Houston, we seem to be one giant step forward.
    Close examination of the controller cct(posted in #6) shows the need for an NOTenable signal on pin 1 to feed into part of the cct that splits the Y step signals into Y1 and Y2/Astep.
    Though I'm not using the Y2 motor, I still needed that NOTenable, as well as the limit switch jumper on the Y2 motor socket.

So now I have all axis behaving the same, I can try and get the limit switches set up correctly.
    John

John-
    I was beginning to suspect it was your controller. Looking at the schematic it seemed to be more complex than the average setup.
    Just curious- what type of machine are you running?

Regards,
    Greg

Hi Greg.
    It's a 3 axis DIY router.
    The original package I bought a couple of years ago was SuperCam 3.5 software (designed to run on win98) with 3 steppers plus the controller.
    It's capable of a variety of set ups, but the software was designed to convert vector graphics directly into step/dir commands, with only limited G code support.

I tried Turbocam, and found the manual so heavy going that I switched to the EMC2/ubuntu route, and though I'm having a few issues, they're far less than the previous softwares were giving me.
    The bonus is of course that I get to become familiar with an open source program.

Re: "Test this axis" - unexpected result

I have only half the way through this book so far but I have enjoyed spending my lunches learning SY0-601. This dump helps me to learn a lot of useful things from it make me expert enough to deal with anything related to this exam. Great DumpsTool for those who are doing their first steps in the CompTIA SY0-601 exam. It helps a lot to pass CompTIA Security+ Exam easily without any harsh consultation.