585,665 active members*
3,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Need advice on Precision Automated Equipment

Need advice on Precision Automated Equipment

Hello everybody, I was hoping to get some input about precision automated equipment(pae). I have been looking at there 4 x 8 110 series. Being totally new to the cnc world I wanted to see what others thought about there design, quality and service. I have read that they bought out practicalcnc which sounds like they had a bad rep on service but I don't see much about the quality of the equipment. Any input would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    Hello everybody, I was hoping to get some input about precision automated equipment(pae). I have been looking at there 4 x 8 110 series. Being totally new to the cnc world I wanted to see what others thought about there design, quality and service. I have read that they bought out practicalcnc which sounds like they had a bad rep on service but I don't see much about the quality of the equipment. Any input would be appreciated.
    they did not buy practicalcnc they are practical cnc remorphed. the original machines are 8020 bolt together which for me was a big no no, i have yet to see the new one, but for me no bolt together tables. to thier credit they use decent parts and wincnc which i have had on several machines and love!!

they also charge for support which is obsolete at this level of machine. although the newer machine with the welded tables is not the previous practical machine and is vastly improved.
    http://pcnc-support.com/
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Angry PAE referral

We recently (Dec. 2009) purchased a CNC with 4th axis from PAE. Machine is sturdy, well-made. The major problem with PAE is customer service and tech support. You can't get any. We've had a project on the table for a week that we can't finish due to mechanical problems. Their tech was too busy to really talk us through it and sent us parts, which was great, but that didn't fix the problem. (It's been a recurring problem since the day the machine was delivered.) Been trying to call for three days and can't get anyone to answer the phone. If you don't live within 30 minutes drive from them, I'd recommend going with another company who has a good reputation for service and enough personnel to handle the demand. I'm sorry I didn't go with our local manufacturer now. Hind sight.

Still waiting

I am still waiting to get a reply from them about our newly purchased control box. We upgraded a box and are not sure how the new one goes together. We have had issues with their support before, and now they are not responding at all. I'll update when, and if, they call back today.

In addition, finding Josh or Rob or any of the people that work there on this forum would be a plus. I wonder if they even care about how poorly they are represented on this forum. I've seen the threads. That leads me to point number 2....

Is there somewhere ELSE to go for service on these machines (PAE's) They are pretty basic.

the pae machine is pretty basic and it uses wincnc controllers, the fellows at camheads .org have got a grip on using this software. the machines can be serviced by a host of companys some are listed on wincnc website

I'll check that info out. We're located in Tennessee and PAE is in Michigan, so it's not like I can drive over there and bang on the door. We should still be under warranty and no one will touch the machine in case it would void the contract. Our fabricator thinks it's in the software. The Z drive will not go up and down. If we switch the Y controller to it, it does. We've changed the disk in the reader and adjusted that, but that didn't do anything. Josh had us change some settings in the configuration on the Zaxisvel, but that didn't do anything either. The problem seems to be involving the Tool Changer, too. That's how the problem started. If anyone thinks they've had a similar issue and knows what we might do to fix this, please, please let us know.
    HIRO - if you're out there anywhere, show yourself! We need your help!
    ko

"Our fabricator thinks it's in the software. The Z drive will not go up and down. If we switch the Y controller to it, it does."

did you do this in the .ini file or with switching the wires at the drive? do you have high speed internet at the cnc computer

i set you a pm for the .ini file

jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fullscreen capture 312010 105546 PM.jpg   Fullscreen capture 312010 105623 PM.jpg  

Angry DONT BUY PAE - I REGRET MY PURCHASE

YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED - BUY A SHOPBOT WITH TONS OF SUPPORT