585,962 active members*
3,776 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

looking for some materials

hey this is probly in the wrong section, i couldnt figure out with would fit best.

but anyways can anyone recommend a spot to get some steel ive searched and im not coming up with much i need

4340 and 1050 steel billets

TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by ebydrc View Post
    hey this is probly in the wrong section, i couldnt figure out with would fit best.

but anyways can anyone recommend a spot to get some steel ive searched and im not coming up with much i need

4340 and 1050 steel billets

TIA!
    Try McMasterCarr, they have quite an assortment of materials. If you need bulk they are a little on the expensive side. We use them as I can get what I need the next day, for me getting my stock quickly is more important than saving a few bucks, and we don't need large amounts of stock. Hope this helps.

onlinemetals.com, speedymetals.com for hobby sized stuff

Quote Originally Posted by JDenyer232 View Post
    Try McMasterCarr, they have quite an assortment of materials. If you need bulk they are a little on the expensive side. We use them as I can get what I need the next day, for me getting my stock quickly is more important than saving a few bucks, and we don't need large amounts of stock. Hope this helps.
    they didnt have any 4340

Quote Originally Posted by will gilmore View Post
    onlinemetals.com, speedymetals.com for hobby sized stuff
    tried both those i need some larger billets, im starting to think im going to have to start calling forge company and seeing what they are able to offer for the steel, im afraid they are going to want alot of $$$

What size is "bigger"?

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Look in the yellow pages for industrial supply, steel supply, etc. There are at least 6 suppliers in the town I work in, all having huge warehouses full of steel. Where are you located?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Look in the yellow pages for industrial supply, steel supply, etc. There are at least 6 suppliers in the town I work in, all having huge warehouses full of steel. Where are you located?

Matt
    mountain home, ar

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    What size is "bigger"?

Dick Z
    flats like, 1.5" x 4" x 6"

laser fonts

Has anyone purchased software called CAD-KAS FONT 2 DXF is it worth the money? Needing to find a software that can do letting for lasers, that has the letters split into or a stencil format.

Alro Steel has warehouses in Tulsa and St. Louis. I buy most of my stock through them.
    www.alro.com

If that doesn't work out, you could contact Nessteel. They specialize in tool and alloy steels and ship all over the US. Shipping might be more expensive since they are in CT, but they could probably get you what you need.
    http://www.nessteel.com/

Matt

It might be less expensive to purchase drop-offs from round bars and mill it to size. Many alloys are available in hot rolled rounds only.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

If that is the case then onlinemetals has round bar of the appropriate size.
    linky
    $260

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    If that is the case then onlinemetals has round bar of the appropriate size.
    linky
    $260

Matt
    yeah exactly way to much, has anyone worked with forging company or have a recommendation for one, i have no idea about that stuff or the right companies to deal with i need those sized billets i said earlier, in small quanities like under 20 pieces a month.

Quote Originally Posted by ebydrc View Post
    flats like, 1.5" x 4" x 6"
    If you plan on doing close to 20/month you can get a 20' bar and have two months worth.

I wanted some 19 gauge CR steel sheet and my usual place laughed at me. I found a place called Windustrial and they got some and delivered me 5 4'x8' sheets. I looked and there is one in KC.

Hi ebydrc On doing that much a month you should be able to get some good pricing
    I use Nessteel they have may have what you need

http://www.pennsylvaniasteel.com/flexor.php
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by will gilmore View Post
    If you plan on doing close to 20/month you can get a 20' bar and have two months worth.

I wanted some 19 gauge CR steel sheet and my usual place laughed at me. I found a place called Windustrial and they got some and delivered me 5 4'x8' sheets. I looked and there is one in KC.
    ill have to talk to them about a year ago i talked with a forginf company, they wanted a 100 unit first off and a large fee to start a run, the rep i talked to said that was industry standard, i never checked other companies to see if there was any truth to the statement, at that point i was thinking about a new business venture, now. however id really like to pull the trigger and figure out where and what i need to do to get the material

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Hi ebydrc On doing that much a month you should be able to get some good pricing
    I use Nessteel they have may have what you need

http://www.pennsylvaniasteel.com/flexor.php
    that number is projected, oviously i would love to see atleast 50+ a month but with the current state of economy its hard to tell.

any exp. with that flexor?