586,009 active members*
4,921 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Deep hole with small drill

Deep hole with small drill

I need to drill .75 through 6061. I would like to keep the size close to .062, no larger than .076 (#48) Can I make it with a parabolic? Suggested feeds and peck amounts? I can only turn 4,000 RPM.

Vern

Doing one or many?

In cases like this I tend to get really conservative; lots of nice rich coolant flooding the drill, run at the 4,000 rpm, feed very slow at 1 ipm and peck every 0.05" maybe even less.

Awful time consuming if you are doing lots but then you start slow and crank things up until drills start breaking then back down a bit.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I'm not sure what many is I will be drilling 300 holes in 100 pieces. We are not under much time pressure here so chips per hour are never the number one priority. I checked the prices and these little guys don't grow on trees so it would a fair expenditure, relative to the value of the finished part, to get the 300 holes with one drill. I'm assuming the parabolic drill is the way to go.

I'm getting some really strange Haas faults from my G code on the new Haas lathe when I use the bar puller. The fact that I had to write the bar puller code probably has a lot to do with it I plan on spending some time with it tomorrow and will ask for your expertise on the Haas lathe forum. Can you see over the snow drifts in your front yard?

Vern

30,000 holes? That would qualify as many.

Snow drifts, what snow drifts. We are having an El Nino winter with temperatures well above freezing and no snow for the Winter Olympics that start in a couple of weeks. I drove up to our cabin in the mountains yesterday, just over a hundred miles inland at an elevation of 3500 feet and the temperature was +2 Celsius.

Hmmm...that's almost 13D. I'm with Geof, buttery coolant, slow feed and lots of pecking. You might even drop the RPM some. My worry is that the drill will pump the coolant out of the hole before it actually gets to lubricate anything. You'll also have a problem with chips packing up in the flutes (hence the frequent pecking).

How long are the flutes on the drill? Do you actually have 0.75" worth of flute to eject chips or will they pack up while down in the hole?

I might even spot the hole locations just so the bit doesn't wander on first entry and break from being off-center.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    ....My worry is that the drill will pump the coolant out of the hole before it actually gets to lubricate anything.....
    If you keep it completely flooded with coolant it cannot 'pump out', that would create a vacuum in the hole and simply suck more in.

Spotting is a given of course.

vern
    I do a .055 dia drill at 8500rpm 3.1 IPM and .040 pecks with regular coolant .650 deep
    on my old machine same drill size part and everything it was 3500 at 1.5-1.7ipm. with 0.025 pecks. Once my new balance collets get in I am hoping to run 12k at 5-7ipm.

My old acroloc vibrated too much at 6500rpms and threw the drill size off so I had to run around 3000-4000 rpms on small drills in that collet tool holder. I ran oil in this machine. sure wish I could run it in the fadal and haas but the mist is way to much.

I use cobalt 135º split points from................ ooops , can't remember the name tan and white package USA made. if the holes are deeper than .750 I use screw machine drills down to 3/4" flute length then switch tools to a normal or extended length to finish the size..

on the haas with the .055 drills I am getting about 150-200 holes per drill before I start cussing.

Thanks for all the input. I have the flood coolant and it sounds like some of you are doing similar things with regular drills so I should be ahead of the game with the parabolics. I have a question on pecking. My software has a pecking cycle and a deep hole drilling cycle which is the same as the pecking except it rapids all the way out of the hole after each peck then rapids back in to a preset amount above the previous peck depth. Are any of you using the deep hole type of pecking or is that unnecessary?

A little optimistic to think I can do 30,000 holes with one .062 drill am I , I fat fingered the numbers.

Vern

Check out the videos I posted here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...77&postcount=5

For the number of holes you have to do, it may be worth talking to those folks.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Smith View Post
    .....I have a question on pecking. My software has a pecking cycle and a deep hole drilling cycle which is the same as the pecking except it rapids all the way out of the hole after each peck then rapids back in to a preset amount above the previous peck depth. Are any of you using the deep hole type of pecking or is that unnecessary?.....
    Vern
    Are you referring to G73 HIGH SPEED PECK DRILLING and G83 NORMAL PECK DRILLING CANNED CYCLE?

I always use G83 mostly due to laziness because I never all the entries that are need for G73 to have it occasionally pop right to the surface to get rid of chips. I have proved to myself that just pecking to break the chips without retracting to get rid of them does not work, the chips eventually pack up in the flutes.

Geof,

As you well know, I would not know G83 and G73 from G string However, I have always used the pop up every time option which my software calls deep hole drilling. It adds very little time to the cycle and I always hoped would extend the life of my drills. I have always used cobalt drills as well for the same reason. They are a little more expensive though. I see most all the parabolic drills are cobalt.

Now to the Haas lathe choking on my G code

Vern

These little tiny holes are where an aux high speed spindle would be nice.

Best,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Fullerton Carbide Drills that have a 5-axis grind on them and are self centering work best in Aluminum. 4000 rpm @ .040 - .080 peck, w/ 3.0 ipm, G83 Cycle. I have never liked parabolic type drills unless I am cutting wood or if I do not care about the hole size tolerance or finish.

I have nightmares working with drills this size. One day they will run fine the next they snap off with the same cycle. If you can afford it carbide would be your best bet, like nova said they self center.

I'm pleased with the results. I tried to take a compilation of all the good suggestion from this thread. I've gotten 300 holes from one parabolic drill, 6,000 rpm, 2ipm, pecking every .03 with full retract every peck. I send the drill over to the Renishaw after every other hole to be sure it's still there. That way I don't have to baby sit the project. Tomorrow I might try pecking .04, depending on how brave I feel. The drill is one of MSC's Accupro 130 degree drills, bright finish.

Vern

The Haas G73 drill cycles are interesting and I do have them set up in my Haas post and use them fairly often:
    G98 G73 R0.05 Z-0.75 K0.09 Q0.03 F7.2
    This one drills in pecks of .03, and whenever those pecks add up to .09, a full retract will occur. This is probably what I would try with a parabolic drill because the chip travels up the flute very quickly, if the feed is heavy enough. Because the chip travels far, the next one may push the first one out, or spiral up parallel to it. 3 pecks may be a practical limit before your luck runs out and you need to do the retract

G98 G73 R0.05 Z-0.75 I0.2 J0.05 K0.05 P0.05 F7.2 is a different permutation of the G73. This one has a longer first peck I when the chip has a tendency to come out of the hole quite well. Then the J value is the reduction in length applied to I for each subsequent peck. So the second peck is .15, the third is .1, the fourth is .05 and K is as short as the pecks get, and a full withdraw occurs between each peck.

If you have a lot of holes to drill, it may make sense to drill the first half inch with the second style of G73, then revert to the first style for the deeper part of the hole.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    The Haas G73 drill cycles are interesting......

G98 G73 R0.05 Z-0.75 I0.2 J0.05 K0.05 P0.05 F7.2....
    Vern; See what I mean about too many entries for this poor old brain to remember.

I guess the only solution is to learn how to use CAM.

PS, Joke, joke, not serious; start breathing again.

I'm not proud of my inability to write G code, it's simply a combination of advanced age, and a tendency to take the easy way out. A couple of years ago when I figured CNC would be a fun adventure I purchased Peter Smid's book on G code as well as downloading the OneCNC CAD/CAM demo software. It didn't take very long to see which way was going to be the easier. It was also an easy to justify decision when you immediately invision yourself machining an endless string of super complex 3D parts with your soon to arrive toy. You only learn what a simplistic analysis this is when you try to create the solid models and surfaces in the CAM software necessary to make all those sexy 3D parts. Lord, what a nightmare that is

All that being said, I'm not above simple plagiarism and I will dutifully copy the drill cycles Hu was nice enough to supply and paste them into my post

Vern