584,829 active members*
5,121 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Way Covers for the IH Mill...

After 4 years I finally decided it was time to replace my way covers. They were cracked, tearing, and generally worn out.

Home Depot Shower Pan Liner is an inexpensive and very nice material to use as a replacement. Rather than fit it to the existing brackets, I made some new brackets using neodymium magnets. If an interference develops, they just pop off rather than tearing.

Here are a few pics:

I may make up a couple more sets of those magnetic clamps. I think they'll be handy for some other things.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

It is not elegant looking but it should work well.

Paul

Not bad! Should work fine. I like the accordion style that is on mine right now but it is starting to unthread itself & come apart. I have been trying to figure out an alternative. Been thinking about using some 1/8" or so thick rubber material. Should be an easy repair & cheap too. Wouldn`t think it would retain chips as bad as the original way cover that is on there now either. That would be a plus. Still pondering.

Chips don't seem to stick to this material, and it gets out of the way just fine, so no need for accordion.

Some day I'd like to build some stainless telescoping covers with parallelogram linkage, but that's a lot of trouble. This was easy!

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Hello Everyone,

I've not made the cover for the z axis yet but here's my covers the the other ways. I used carpet runner. This is pretty handy stuff. You can get it at the depot.

It's got ribs so it moves differently in each direction. Handy when your trying to get it to work a certain way.

It's probably much more durable than the shower liner. It's designed for foot traffic.

I drilled and tapped some holes below the y dovetails in the front of the machine to roll the cover over when the table is near you. You don't have to do this if you don't want to. It just makes it neater.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails runner3.jpg   runner4.jpg   runner5.jpg   runner6.jpg