584,830 active members*
5,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for side work

Young machinist looking for side work. Have a years worth of lathe programming, setup, and operation experience. I have turned to tight tolerances in hard, soft, and non ferrous metals, turned mold cores, cavities, and other intricate parts. I also have experience in programming, setup, and operation of cnc milling, hard and soft metals, stainless, and mold components. If requested, I will do these parts after main job hours, and on weekends.

I hope your boss knows about this. Not cool to be competing with legitimate shops with "borrowed" materials and machine time.

Yeah it's not worth it for you to be doing stunts like that if your boss doesn't know about it. Not to mention if your not paying for none of the materials, tooling, electricity and machine wear then your really sticking yourself in the foot by lowering the value of the industry that puts food on your table. Thats really pretty crooked if that is what your doing and if that is what your doing I hope you lose your job.

Don't jump the gun on this guy. If thats what he's doing yeah its wrong. He said he'd work after main job hours not steal from them or use there equipment without permission.
    I have companys that I used to work for that to this day allow me access to there equipment at no charge. You don't know his situation or his relationship with the company. :stickpoke
    Judleroy

No, it wouldn't be "borrowed" machine time. I'd be paying a percentage to the boss men for machine wear, power bill, and all tooling used for what I do. Side works been done before in our shop, so I don't see a problem doing it, as long as they are compensated. Sorry I didn't make myself more clear.

I'm just a younger guy in a small shop, so I had to learn quickly on all aspects of running our machines. Just hopefully it works out I could make a little extra cash on the side so I could potentially have a small home shop of my own to continue doing jobs on the side.

pm sent

Smile CAD file design extensions:

Hello Trey88,

I have a part designed in Rhino that is approximatly.

3" x 2" x 36" inches in 6061 T6 aluminium.

It is basically a lower control arm for a car.

If you want to send me a PM regarding file extensions and material sourcing

we can take a shot at working together on this project..

thanks,

If you are doing this honestly and renting out the machines more power to you!. You are in a good position then.

I never thought these "need work, send prints" threads got any responses, maybe I was wrong?

Did'nt think so either, I got one but it was for such a puny job and it did'nt even go through.

I am going to advise you to get whatever arrangement you have with the owner of the shop in writing and keep impeccable records.

Here's why:

Just last week, I was subpoenaed to testify against a former boss of mine in federal court. The defense couldn't rebuke any of my testimony, so they tried to smear me by saying I stole machine time and shop resources when that wasn't the case. I have good records of the transactions that happened during the period, but not a written agreement.

In theory, if he were to be acquitted of the charges, he could file a complaint for felony theft of services against me. This isn't realistic for him to worry about since he is looking at 240 years in prison if convicted on all charges.

All of that happened several years ago, and I know better now.

Fegenbush

/For those interested, look up Keith Shaw at www.whas11.com

Who did the work?

I think this place is a long, way away from that sort of drama.

Local NewsFeb 2, 2010

Experts testify in defense contractor Keith Shaw's trial
    Witnesses take the stand in the trial of a former louisville defense contractor.

http://www.whas11.com/news/Former-de...-83389692.html

Need work/send prints posts do work......sometimes

I've had a little bit of luck with getting work from here on CNC Zone, I have also given a little bit of work to people I only know on here. The jobs may not be big jobs, but work is work, and money is money.

BTW......I NEED WORK, PLEASE SEND PRINTS !!

Smile this is what I want

How do I upload a picture????

When you post a reply, click on the paper clip, and then you get a pop-up window that allows you to browse for the picture and then upload it.

Control Arm

quick representation:
    SIZE: 2"x4"x39" (INCHES) imperial.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wink Really Nice work found here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
    When you post a reply, click on the paper clip, and then you get a pop-up window that allows you to browse for the picture and then upload it.
    Thanks, I think I got it.

bytheway: you make some really cool stuff, great work.

Trey 88

Are you located within the Southern California area?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
    I've had a little bit of luck with getting work from here on CNC Zone, I have also given a little bit of work to people I only know on here. The jobs may not be big jobs, but work is work, and money is money.

BTW......I NEED WORK, PLEASE SEND PRINTS !!
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101402

I can send the copper, it would be seemingly simple lathe work. basically just using a 1/16" cut off tool to cut grooves in 1.5" od copper.

cheers