585,919 active members*
3,514 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > just wanted to say hey.

just wanted to say hey.

I am very new to this and lost. I will most likely ask stupid questions. I am going to buid a cnc machine 48 x 72. I will most likely use 2x4 boxed steel for the base and mount the bearing slides to the sides and build the gantry from Extruded Aluminum and use two stepper motors to run it. I will use a porter cable 1 3/4 spindle motor. If any one has any thoughts let me know before I mess up. I haven't started yet but am anxiuose to do so. Thanks Don.

Welcome to/from a newbie

Welcome to the Zone. I too am planning a DIY cnc router build. I'm in the research phase of the planning process (research is a BIG phase). It seems the more I learn, the less I know.:withstupi Sounds like you are also in the research phase.
    Most CNC's have at least 3 axis of movement (X,Y & Z). Some have even more. As your research progresses, you'll see a myriad of design options and styles.
    You have definetely found the best place to learn all about CNC and everything involved with it. My best advice is to read/search the threads. The folks on this site are extremely knowledgable and always willing to share that knowledge. I believe the only "stupid question" is the question you don't ask. So, go ahead read the threads here on the Zone, soak up as much information as your brain can absorb. Then, when information overload sets in, ask questions. The nice folks here will be able to answer your questions or at least point you in the right direction.
    Welcome to the Zone, have fun and in due time, you too will be makin' chips.:cheers:
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!