586,024 active members*
4,391 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Facemill results

I just picked up a Glacern FM45-400 4" face mill with the X83 inserts.

First I have to hand it to Glacern for the awesome videos, and the very reasonable prices for their face mills. The face mill looks like a quality part (what do I know)...and these inserts are razors. Sliced my finger open just handling the tool holder.

I'm not exactly a seasoned machinist or CNC operator so I wasn't expecting much, but I loaded this face mill up in the CNC and did a light pass over some aluminum. 30IPM 3000RPM, face wasn't perfectly level so depth of cut ranged from 10-20 thou. I was just astonished at the finish. Maybe its old hat for most, but nothing that pretty ever came out of any of my machines to date so I just had to post.

Now to figure out how to keep from flinging coolant all over the shop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4453rs.jpg  

Looks like a pretty standard facemill so should work well. Good finish too prob somewhere between a 32 and 64 by the looks of it.

On my unbalance sandvik 6 insert face mill I am feeding 80ipm at 2500 rpms and get the same finish.
    On my balance one I go 6500rpms at 150IPM at a .050 cut.
    speed that thing up you will get a nice finish.

For your sprinkler system, just turn the coolant off for the face mil, you only need a little bit unless your hogging. just before you face mill take a spray bottle with some coolany and dust the part, or WD-40.

Delw

man nice... i just wish there was a easy way to adapt this to tormach tooling..

We'll see if my X2 can swing the 2.5" FM45 around. For now I just wanted a larger face mill but I want to get the aluminum inserts and try putting a nice finish on at some point.

A clean balanced tool is an excellent start. The main component is good inserts! You use the wrong insert and your finish will just be the opposite. The insert seating in the tool is important so you don't get rings. I am happy you got a good finish with the tool. Make sure you use good inserts with different materials.