584,846 active members*
4,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Acramatic 850SX Z axis

Hi I have a Sabre 1250 machine and when i start it up it goes through all of its self tests just fine, but then once its to the point where I can use the keys and screen I get an error 160 Z axis open loop, and when I go to the machine setup screen and view the current positions the Z axis is going continuously negative even though the physical axis is not moving. Has anyone had this problem or have any ideas on what I should be checking to fix it?

Thanks for the help, Joe

open loop means its your z axis encoder or encoder cable has a problem.

Well after doing a bunch of checking things I found that one of my run capacitors on my rotary phase converter was going out and causing some distortion on my 3rd leg of power. It was just enough to through the machine for a loop I guess, I'm supprised that this is the only fault I had with it like this but this machine has to have all 3 legs to run apparently.

Luckily it sounds like it did not fry anything.
    Although I hear of plenty successes running CNC equipment with RPCs, this is always a possibility.
    I am springing for a Phase Perfect ($3000) when I get my shop built for this reason. Hopefully I do not run out of money first

Joe

Yeah I was a little hesitant about running a converter at first as well but its the only way with my location. I built my own with a 40hp motor and caps from a local electric motor shop. Then just a bunch of time and testing with oscope's and volt meters. With I had the money for something like a phase perfect though still.

Yeah the price difference between an RPC and a digital converter is a lot more if you built your own RPC.
    I refi'ed my mortgage and got the money to build a "garage" while I was at it.
    I'm hoping I can pull it off with enough to spare for the DPC.
    Oh and some for moving my VMC to my house, too.
    Of course all sorts of hidden costs are materializing as the project proceeeds.
    Ain't that always the way?
    May end up building an RPC after all...

Joe