585,971 active members*
4,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Vortech router opinions & general machine recommendations

Vortech router opinions & general machine recommendations

I'm new to cnc routing. I've a cabinet making shop in southeastern PA and have had many applications where a CNC router would have really helped. I've been looking, and have checked Vortech. I read other threads here, but can someone give me opinions on:

1. Vortech; quality, support, accuracy
    2. I need 4x8 cutting area. Can someone, if not Vortech, recommend a quality machine that won't break the bank?
    3. Is there a cutting "standard" that I can use to check each machine I am interested in? I.e. I want to, say, place a sheet of signboard or some plywood and have a cut session that includes straights, squares, circles etc. that I can use to compare speed and accuracy of different machines.

For the pros in here, this might be repetitive but I thank you in advance for helping a new-comer.

Question

I thought about vortech for a long time but finally opted for a shopbot, got a 4x8 used one to learn with. I went with shopbot because of customer support and their forum. If you have a problem you can get an answer within minutes of posting....control software is very user friendly. They now also offer a e-cabinets link.

www.shopbottools.com

Gene Crain
    www.plantasymaderas.com

Quote Originally Posted by EBC View Post
    I thought about vortech for a long time but finally opted for a shopbot, got a 4x8 used one to learn with. I went with shopbot because of customer support and their forum. If you have a problem you can get an answer within minutes of posting....control software is very user friendly. They now also offer a e-cabinets link.

www.shopbottools.com

Gene Crain
    www.plantasymaderas.com
    Gene:

Thanks for your response. Which model Shopbot did you end up with?

Jeff

Been running my Vortech Router for a couple years now. I am very happy with the router and the support I've gotten from Vortech. Not to put down shop bot but the Vortech is much more industrial router. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by rambo2_981 View Post
    I'm new to cnc routing. I've a cabinet making shop in southeastern PA and have had many applications where a CNC router would have really helped. I've been looking, and have checked Vortech. I read other threads here, but can someone give me opinions on:

1. Vortech; quality, support, accuracy
    2. I need 4x8 cutting area. Can someone, if not Vortech, recommend a quality machine that won't break the bank?
    3. Is there a cutting "standard" that I can use to check each machine I am interested in? I.e. I want to, say, place a sheet of signboard or some plywood and have a cut session that includes straights, squares, circles etc. that I can use to compare speed and accuracy of different machines.

For the pros in here, this might be repetitive but I thank you in advance for helping a new-comer.
    1) The quality of the Vortech router is very impressive. The support has been great and the accuracy is dead nuts
    2) From all the routers we looked at and tested the Vortech offers the most bang for the buck.
    3) You caould easily create a file with some different shapes and send it to different router mfgs to cut.

EBC; We looked at the shopbot but it was painfully slow when compared to some of the others we looked at but if you can find a used one at a low price, it should be a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirkworks View Post
    1) The quality of the Vortech router is very impressive. The support has been great and the accuracy is dead nuts
    2) From all the routers we looked at and tested the Vortech offers the most bang for the buck.
    3) You caould easily create a file with some different shapes and send it to different router mfgs to cut.

EBC; We looked at the shopbot but it was painfully slow when compared to some of the others we looked at but if you can find a used one at a low price, it should be a good starting point.
    We bought our Vortech router back in '08 and I have to agree with Dirk and Pike.. We looked at them all. Vortech is making the best router going for under $50K. I was at their plant a couple weeks ago picking up their little 2x3 router for use at my house. They showed me their new, soon to be released full size model that is a little less industrial and will be good for the home use, hobbiest and people who don't need a machine like their big heavy industrial models. priced under $10K... I'm very impressed with the routers vortech is building and the their support has been top notch.

Vortech Router

I am really jealous about your experiences everytime I read some of your comments about Vortech. I must be out of luck these days....I made calls but nobody ever pick up the phone or reply to my messages. Did I have a wrong phone number as tel. 888.398.9285?? If I don't, can somebody point me to a good number? I feel like I am a nut when dealing with this company.

After my posting on 02/28/2010 , my machine got released for shipping within a week. Now I wonder when will I get my bundles as described in my Invoice;
    1. Mach3 CNC Controller Software
    2. Starter Bit Set
    3. Vectric cut 3D Toolpath software
    4. A set of X and Y Replacement motor Drivers
    5. Instruction of my 4 axis machine as well as its electrical plan as agreed by the sales???

I think I am running out of time for I will have to leave in early April. I think I will have to call BBB at NH to get this stright.