585,973 active members*
4,138 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazak QT10 T1

Hi all,

New here needing help if possible. I have a early Mazak QT10 Universal with Mazatrol T1 controller. I have never programmed a CNC Lathe before but am learning slowly through the manual i received with the machine. I am having trouble with Z Offset setting, im sure i have most of the program sorted apart from setting the Z. Have read the manual more than enough times (i think)but still cant get it. Anyone have any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Andrew

Hopefully, I understand you correct, if the Z offset you are talking is measure the tool since you don't tool eye? If that's a yes, OK just bring the tool up to the face(feel the tool with paper..blah blah.... you in the business longer enough I don't think I have to tell you what to do), then go to offset page, highlight Z offset you want, you should see a TEACH..... hit that done. Repeat the same for next tool. Think you can do that for X too.

Get back see where you are.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Thanks for your reply, yes i do know how to teach the tool measure. What im trying to work out is on a new program at what point do i set the Z offset? Do i zero the Z at the face of the material?

Thanks

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but hope this helps. I always program with z zero on the face. With machines with out a tool eye I have tool #1 as the reference tool. Tool one is a turning tool that always stays in the machine. Tool #1, the ref tool, will always have the tool length offset set to zero. Note that tool length offset and Z offset are two different offsets. I face the stock with tool #1 and set Z offset at that point. Now that zero is established on the stock I can touch off the other tools and set their tool length offset's.
    Since X zero is always the centerline, X offset is always set to zero. Touch off all tools, including ref. tool and set their tool offset.

Thanks for your time, you say that tool offset and Z offset are different which im sure i have my tool offset sorted its just trying to find my starting point in Z for programming purposes. For example if i bring my selected tool to the face of my material i would assume that should be my Z zero and starting point( am i correct?)

Thanks

I'm not familiar with your controller, but it should show you the tools position on the readout. Some controllers will show the position relative to machine zero and another for relative to work zero. you should be able to set work zero, by adjustting the Z offset.
    For programming purposes, just program from the face of the part. Then you can bring a blank tool to z +.05, butt the stock up to it and clamp chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Andycnc View Post
    Thanks for your time, you say that tool offset and Z offset are different which im sure i have my tool offset sorted its just trying to find my starting point in Z for programming purposes. For example if i bring my selected tool to the face of my material i would assume that should be my Z zero and starting point( am i correct?)

Thanks
    Yes, that's you Z zero.

Ok thanks, have set my Z and tried to run the program but now has alarm'89' ILLE Program

At the main screen you need to call the program you want to run.

PS: make sure you are P17 = 1 (index position)