585,663 active members*
3,103 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Programming PLC on Fanuc 0M

Does anybody know anything about programming the PLC on a Fanuc 0M? My shop has a Lucas boring mill that we can't program an M04 because of a bug in the PLC program. We install CNC's all the time and know how to program the PLC's in other controls, but know nothing about this Fanuc. I do have a hard copy of the ladder, which is how I figured out where the problem was. I also was able to read the PLC program out of the eproms, but it's in binary and I have no way of dechipering the code back into a readable program. Does Fanuc have PLC programming software still available for this control? If so, how much $$$ does it cost?

Any help appreciated,
    Scott

What is the nature of the problem? does the M3 work ok? As you probabally already know the M4 usually just output the spindle reverse signal and the FIN signal will wait until the up-to-speed, before the program will continue, it is usually very little ladder.
    The Fanuc software and programmer cost a bundle unless you can rent of off someone. If it's an original bug, what about recourse back to the machine tool builder to correct it?
    Is the Fanuc set to display the ladder on the screen, with bit status?
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,

Yes, the M03 works OK, but because of a bug in the ladder, the FIN signal never turns on when the M04 is commanded. The spindle actually starts in reverse, but the programs hangs because the CNC is still waiting for the FIN signal from the PLC. Can you tell me how to display the ladder on-screen? In my explorations so far, I haven't come across this.

Scott

Thats odd, the M4 is usually identical to the M3 except that it outputs the reverse signal instead of forward, and waits for the same FIN input which is the spindle-up-to speed, which is the same for both M3 & M4. Is this a ladder problem or that for some reason the up-to-speed is not occuring in the rev direction, The input status screen for this signal should confirm this.
    I will have to look up the parameter to allow display of the ladder.
    Al

Albert E.

Al,

I know exactly why it doesn't work, I just don't have the tools to make the change that will fix it. If you know what software or hardware I need, that would help me a lot.

Thanks,
    Scott

The software is only available from Fanuc, also depends on what format the PLC is in eeprom board etc, also AFAIK you still need their programming terminal, I do not have the above but fortunately I have access to it, a large local corporation purchased it when I retrofitted their machines and they allow me to go in an use it anytime.
    Fanuc should be able to let you know what you need.
    That is one reason why I like companies like Mitsubishi, the software is free (or used to be) and any old PC can be used, you can also program right on the screen.
    Al

Albert E.

Thanks Al,

We have the PLC manual coming from Fanuc. Hopefully this will help. I still think we are going to have to find someone who can do this for us, but you never know. I agree with you on the Mitsubishi, I think their controls have the best built in PLC's of anybody.

Scott

There is always a set of keys that have to be pressed when dealing with fanuc.. On my machines it is the pgdn key 2x's with the machine in manual mode or someting along that line (maybe shift and pgdn key). It's been a while since I have done any plc programs on it, but I am familiar with many other plc programs if it is a routine you need help developing?
    menomana

You need the FAPT programming software for your PC, this is available for big bucks from FANUC. It sounds like you already have an EPROM reader and burner so you are good there. Also, Fanuc calls it PMC (Programmable Machine Controller) not PLC there is a difference in the way the ladder is scanned. The control scans in priority; High, Med, and low. Be carefull not to change things in the wrong priority levels and not in another as you can cause a bit to be set high and low at the same time causing problems with the machine.

Not all Fanuc 0-series controls had dynamic ladder display. Older models A & B did not support the display of the ladder. Newer versions Model C & D allow the user to view the ladder for troubleshooting. Fanuc 21, 16, 18, & series 15 controls now allow the ladder to be modified in the control and it is far better than Mitsubishi has ever been.

Thanks to all!

This control turns out to be a Fanuc 0M-A, which does not have the on screen ladder display. We have a tech from Fanuc coming out on Monday to work on it. I'll be watching over his shoulder every chance I get though .

Thanks again,
    Scott

Programming PLC on Fanuc 0M

Scott,

Did this ever get resolved? Would you mind telling what Fanuc charged to come out & do it? I read your post today (4/29). We could have had you email the bin file, we could decompile, edit, burn a new chip and send it to you. Especially if you knew what needed to be changed.

Regards

Paul Sevin
    Ovation Engineering, Inc.
    http://www.ovationengineering.com
    off. 586-336-1590
    cell 586-764-1125
    fax 586-336-1589
    Paul Sevin - Ovation Engineering, Inc.
    http://www.ovationengineering.com

Paul,

Now you tell me. I didn't see the bill, but it was a guy from GE Fanuc in the Detroit area. I do know that they bill round trip travel plus they have a four hour minimum charge. But he was able to make the change we wanted, so I guess it all worked out. If I had known you could work from the eprom files, that would have saved us a lot of time and money. You could have just emailed the files back to us, we have an eprom programmer. Oh well, now we know.

Thanks,
    Scott

Smile

I think Ge Fanuc is in the area of abou $135.00/hr plus expenses, travel, etc... and yes they charge a four hour minimum. Techs from GE Fanuc are far better for this type of fix than Fanuc America but you can always get better help for less money from people like Paul at Ovation ( I assume he is better )

What does Ovation charge?

i don't believe m04 that is plc bug. i think that the equivalent actions has not finished. It means some gears or movement axies has not reached the target position. ANy type cnc are the same that is the basic principle. As you know any m.s.t output need has a response which is m.s.t answer signal. if you want to look ladder you can use A08B-9201-J500#EN FAPT LADDER SOFTWARE. if you want to discompile your eprom you can choice a simplest way that is using fanuc eprom converter software. FANUC trditional way was used fa-writer to read and combination a binary file for discompile.
    For more detail you can browser www.cncb3h.com which has software introducion and fanuc pmc analysis in the articles .

Question Fanuc eprom converter software

Dear Oliver,

How can I obtain the conversion software for the OE1/2 eproms?

I have visited www.cncb3h.com but cannot see a method of obtaining it.

Regards, Richard

http://www.cncb3h.com/fladder_e.htm
    website of eprom converter

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
    Not all Fanuc 0-series controls had dynamic ladder display. Older models A & B did not support the display of the ladder. Newer versions Model C & D allow the user to view the ladder for troubleshooting. Fanuc 21, 16, 18, & series 15 controls now allow the ladder to be modified in the control and it is far better than Mitsubishi has ever been.
    Do you know if there is any way to get hold of a set of Eproms E01 & E02. for a Interact 720. Merory Board A16B-1212-0210 [E01 (DEC 89 INT 720F PMC-L P.72M)] [E02(DEC 89 INT 720 OMNTC MF P.72M)] Eprom Chips Toshiba TC57256AD-15 Japan 8909EA1 VPP 12.5v.

We lost the information on E01, E02 seems ok but not really sure so I want to replace any way.

Quote Originally Posted by RLMTS View Post
    Dear Oliver,

How can I obtain the conversion software for the OE1/2 eproms?

I have visited cncb3h_±±¾©µÏÈóºã»úµç¼¼ÊõÓÐÏ� �¹«Ë¾,DNC´óÈ« but cannot see a method of obtaining it.

Regards, Richard
    Hi, you can send a mail to that website.

Quote Originally Posted by DougWoz View Post
    Do you know if there is any way to get hold of a set of Eproms E01 & E02. for a Interact 720. Merory Board A16B-1212-0210 [E01 (DEC 89 INT 720F PMC-L P.72M)] [E02(DEC 89 INT 720 OMNTC MF P.72M)] Eprom Chips Toshiba TC57256AD-15 Japan 8909EA1 VPP 12.5v.

We lost the information on E01, E02 seems ok but not really sure so I want to replace any way.
    Hi,
    i can't remember series number, but you can read your eprom by eprom reader/writer. Your eprom type is 27256. And you send your eprom file to
    my mail box. You can according above cncb3h website and there is a mail box

i can convert oe1 and oe2 bin files, to #ex, if you need i can help you, send me mail to [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12