584,800 active members*
4,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Need help with your Fadal?
Page 1 of 3 123

Need help with your Fadal?

A brief history:

I worked at Fadal as an engineer for over 23 years. When service technicians were unable to fix problems out in the field, I was called to go out and fix the problem. In 23 years, I have never left a machine down in the field (thank God).

Since the Fadal plant closed earlier last year, I have started my own company repairing and selling parts, as well as rebuilding and servicing machines.

As a courtesy to all CNC Zone members, I offer free technical support over the phone and through email. Even if you have limited technical knowledge, most of the time I can help you diagnose your issue by walking you through it.

I don't always have the time to sit here and type up a response but I do when I get the chance.

I am not restricted M-F 9-5 as most companies are. I understand some of you operate your machines at night and have deadlines to meet. Feel free to give me a call anytime at my office (818) 678-9456. You can also reach me on my cell (818) 625-9948. I am often up late/early on the phone with clients overseas.

If you are located in southern California, feel free to drop by my shop. I'm located down the street from where the old Fadal plant was in Chatsworth, California.

Thank you! :wave:

-Koshy
    Need help with your Fadal? Send me a message or visit www.TheFadalParts.com. We have over 25 years of experience at Fadal and offer FREE TECHNICAL SUPPORT OVER THE PHONE!

Koshy helped me solve an issue with one of our Fadals. He was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. When he offers up troubleshooting advice, do what I did and call him.
    Thanks again Koshy!

Quote Originally Posted by 5th-axis View Post
    Koshy helped me solve an issue with one of our Fadals. He was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. When he offers up troubleshooting advice, do what I did and call him.
    Thanks again Koshy!
    No problem!
    Need help with your Fadal? Send me a message or visit www.TheFadalParts.com. We have over 25 years of experience at Fadal and offer FREE TECHNICAL SUPPORT OVER THE PHONE!

I think you'll be getting a call from me tomorrow.

I need help, please call me

My name is Wade and my # is 704-369-9537. I have a question about the 32MP. If you could help please give me a call.

Quote Originally Posted by williambrandon View Post
    My name is Wade and my # is 704-369-9537. I have a question about the 32MP. If you could help please give me a call.
    So, lemme get this straight: an engineer offers to help you, for free, and you want him to pay for the call, too?

I was wondering the same thing. takes a bit of nerve but,some have plenty. (nuts)(wedge):nono:

Quote Originally Posted by Drassk View Post
    So, lemme get this straight: an engineer offers to help you, for free, and you want him to pay for the call, too?
    It's free either way...good thing I have unlimited minutes on my shop phone.

Hi Koshy,
    Can you get any updates for the infimatic control . You came here and serviced my machine once in buffalo n.y. Mag Technology said they would have to send a service rep. out to do it. windows based why can't I just download it. Do have some intermittent glitches . turn off and restart goes away.
    Joe

6030 sick

Im getting error #17 on my x axis. had the problem before and fadal tech came out and borrowed a pencil cleaned something (think the tach and machine recovered. I s this something I can do as I neeed machine desperately today!!! Second question is for Koshy, do you do sevice calls to south Gate near 105 and 710 freeways and do you have time tomarrow AM or today?

If an axis makes sort of a 'bububububububub' sound when it's moving, that's the 'tach is dirty' sound (or at least the 'tach has something wrong with it' sound).

Sometimes you can get rid of it by putting some ethanol on a Q-tip and cleaning the tach. I set the machine to move back and forth at 50IPM or so, so that the tach's spinning relatively slowly.

Ideally you'd take everything apart and clean it up really good to stop it from happening again soon, but sometimes you don't have the option of a day of downtime to clean a motor.

(feel free to note if I'm wrong here, iess...I'm not an expert on this stuff, just a guy who keeps his Fadal running!)

I have a 4020a and when I power down the machine at night the z axis slowly falls down...any ideas as to what is causing this??

Back feeding due to the weight of the Z axis.
    If there is a hydraulic counter balance or a lock/brake of some kind, this should be checked.
    If hydraulic counter balance is used, often both ends of the cylinder or closed causing hydraulic lock, if the seals leak, this will cause it.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

YOUR Z AXIS DRIFTING DOWN AFTER POWER DOWN IS A SURE SIGN THAT THE Z AXIS GIBBS ARE NOT IN ADJUSTMENT - I BELIEVE A VMC 4020A HAS LINIER RAILS ON X + Y AXIS, BUT THE Z AXIS IS BOX WAYS - A QUICK CHECK IS JOG THE Z AXIS DOWN AS LOW AS POSSIBLE AND LOOK AT IT'S BOX WAYS FRONT SURFACES - DOES THERE APPEAR TO BE A HEAVY LUBE OIL PRESENCE - IF YOU SEE THIS CONDITION THE GIBBS ARE NOT ADJUSTED PROPERLY THERE SHOULD BE ONLY A VERY SHEEN LOOK AS THE LUBE IS BEING WIPED AWAY - CAUTION IF YOU DECIDE TO ADJUST THE GIBBS BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERTIGHTEN THEM - A EASY WAY IS TO CHECK YOUR BACKLASH BEFORE ADJUSTMENT AND AFTER - IF THE BACKLASH HAS INCREASED ALOT MAKE SURE THAT THE Z ZERVO DOES NOT TO START TO WARM UP - IF SO BACK THEM OFF - AFTER YOUR DONE DO A MDI Z MOVE Z-5. G0 AND RIGHT AFTER IT STARTS TO MOVE HIT YOUR E-STOP, YOUR Z AXIS SHOULD NOT DRIFT MORE THAN A INCH FURTHER

Quote Originally Posted by comtooldale View Post
    Im getting error #17 on my x axis. had the problem before and fadal tech came out and borrowed a pencil cleaned something (think the tach and machine recovered. I s this something I can do as I neeed machine desperately today!!! Second question is for Koshy, do you do sevice calls to south Gate near 105 and 710 freeways and do you have time tomarrow AM or today?
    Glad to help with your machine today...let me know if you need anything else!

Quote Originally Posted by Drassk View Post
    If an axis makes sort of a 'bububububububub' sound when it's moving, that's the 'tach is dirty' sound (or at least the 'tach has something wrong with it' sound).

Sometimes you can get rid of it by putting some ethanol on a Q-tip and cleaning the tach. I set the machine to move back and forth at 50IPM or so, so that the tach's spinning relatively slowly.

Ideally you'd take everything apart and clean it up really good to stop it from happening again soon, but sometimes you don't have the option of a day of downtime to clean a motor.

(feel free to note if I'm wrong here, iess...I'm not an expert on this stuff, just a guy who keeps his Fadal running!)
    Cleaning the tach does fix the problem but eventually it comes to a point where you need to change the brush.

Quote Originally Posted by cnctech View Post
    I have a 4020a and when I power down the machine at night the z axis slowly falls down...any ideas as to what is causing this??
    Call me at the shop at 818 678 9456 tomorrow...there are a few things that could be the problem.

Free tech help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. However this practice of ask the question here and get a private answer defeats the purpose of a forum. We'd all like the answer so we can expand our knowlege also.

Quote Originally Posted by masterfabr View Post
    Free tech help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. However this practice of ask the question here and get a private answer defeats the purpose of a forum. We'd all like the answer so we can expand our knowlege also.
    Bingo, that's why I joined this Forum, to share information within the Forum. It makes me a better machinist/engineer. I'm not making money off this forum per se, I'm making my job skills better. You give you take, as needed.

When you introduce a business into the forum where people can benefit monetarily, it changes the whole dynamics of it. I personally don't think it works as well. Forums normally split regular Joes from the business people whom they require to be sponsors, who can then pimp their business. The Joes then patronize the business out of loyalty to the forum.

My .02.
    Still working in the "D".

Quote Originally Posted by masterfabr View Post
    I post when I get the chance. I've been extremely busy lately...attending to a family emergency the past few days while trying to keep the shop running. I'll do what I can to help out but sometimes private messages and phone calls get things done faster.

Page 1 of 3 123