584,830 active members*
5,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > OneCNC XR Online Demo

OneCNC XR Online Demo

I had my online demo of XR (Express and Advantage) yesterday. I gotta say, it was very cool to see it in action.

The Tech walked me through working with a pre-made model (demo model) that was similar to the type of work I will be doing. I also emailed him a model I had made in inventor (.igs exported) which he then loaded into XR. It handled it perfectly, and we went through setting my part up for milling.

Even with my cable-modem it was choppy sometimes, which made it hard to see how smooth the program really is. Still overall it was a good demo.

Improvement: I really wish I could get a demo to try on my own machine first.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Unhappy

We had an online tour here at work too. Unfortunately our boss isn't willing to shell out the bucks for a product that we can't actually demo on our own first. One says the reason they don't give out demos is because they are affraid it will get cracked. Too bad for us I guess :frown: IMO, most shops wouldn't risk a lawsuit if they got caught. Plus, at the rate software improvements are comming, it won't be long till their current product is outdated anyways.

Outdated

You would be surprised how many places I have visited that are using outdated software. Or have the attatude that once they own the software, unless something major happens why upgrade.

I had a boss that had that attatude towards upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by cbass
    We had an online tour here at work too. Unfortunately our boss isn't willing to shell out the bucks for a product that we can't actually demo on our own first. One says the reason they don't give out demos is because they are affraid it will get cracked. Too bad for us I guess :frown: IMO, most shops wouldn't risk a lawsuit if they got caught. Plus, at the rate software improvements are comming, it won't be long till their current product is outdated anyways.
    Without a doubt I am sure that they DO lose sales by not offering a demo that you can use on-site. It would even be better for them to have a US Outside sales rep/tech who could come on site for 'serious' buyers and demo the product onsite. But, that all costs money...

Oddly enough, I was told there was no demo due to some of the technology being 'Pat. Pending'. Which, since they are SELLING it to anyone with money, doesn't make any sense. A competitors CI group would be happy to shell out the cash to get their hands on the product - or even easier still - just read the Pat. applications for free. In other words, it was a bogus answer. I still love the software though.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

As a software developer, myself, I know how hard it is to develop a program locked down for demo use. Still, as much energy as you put into making a demo someone will spend countless hours cracking it until they get it. Whether the competition or a Russian, someone will crack it.

OneCNC would probably benefit a lot from have a downloadable demo. Moreso than they would suffer for having their technology public. Then if someone does actually steal it, they could hire me to do internet recon to find the pirates. So, again, as long as they aren't Russian I can take them down. =)

(On a sidenote, I don't have anything against Russians. They just happen to be the world leader in software pirating. Them and Brazilians.)

Quote Originally Posted by def
    (On a sidenote, I don't have anything against Russians. They just happen to be the world leader in software pirating. Them and Brazilians.)
    The Chinese aren't any slouches either...

Hell, I'm sure the US has a fair share of the market. I actually think other countries permit and even encourage software pirating due to the materials its businesses produce and for their loathing for the US and it's people.
    -def
    a.k.a. Tony
    a.k.a. DJ Tone Bone
    a.k.a. Blue-Butt (That 2000 Flushes will get ya')

Quote Originally Posted by def
    As a software developer, myself, I know how hard it is to develop a program locked down for demo use. Still, as much energy as you put into making a demo someone will spend countless hours cracking it until they get it. Whether the competition or a Russian, someone will crack it.

OneCNC would probably benefit a lot from have a downloadable demo. Moreso than they would suffer for having their technology public. Then if someone does actually steal it, they could hire me to do internet recon to find the pirates. So, again, as long as they aren't Russian I can take them down. =)

Actually, they could have an online demo without putting their software at risk. PCAnywhere has been around a long time and there are other similar softwares that would allow you to remotely demo a program without possessing the code.

As long as they took your info and verified you were a legitimate customer, they could allow you to remotely demo their software, control the server load by allowing a limited number of demos for a limited period of time and maintain security.

It's pretty costly to send out demo CD's to every web surfer on the planet (unless you're AOL). Likewise, with all the backstabbing & buggy software being peddeled, I can understand someones initial reluctance to spend the money.

I will say this, OneCNC gives you a 30 day evaluation period. If you don't like it you can send it back within 30 days for a refund. Can't think of too many software companies willing to do that.

color

I thought their were color of graphics liitations with with PCAnywhere. But I've not played with it.