585,722 active members*
4,396 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > mini-mill z-axis/column rigidity

mini-mill z-axis/column rigidity

Hi guys and gals,

I have an HF x2 mini-mill and want to make the column more rigid. I don't need to tilt the column, so I am planning to brace it to the bench. I was thinking of 2 x 2 tubing with triangulation out to outriggers to the sides, and maybe out back. The bench is rigid and should have plenty of space. I've been searching for pics, but not having any luck. I'm sure there are plenty of pics here, and maybe better ideas. Could you point me to a thread or post a pic?

BTW: the column is "stock" except for a DRO on the right, which I can move, and all the torsion lift and its' associated gagetry are gone. I have added an extended rack for more travel.

TIA,

jon

check out crevice reamers z axis brace for the X3 crevicereamer.com

Quote Originally Posted by knudsen View Post
    Hi guys and gals,

I have an HF x3 mini-mill and want to make the column more rigid. I don't need to tilt the column, so I am planning to brace it to the bench. I was thinking of 2 x 2 tubing with triangulation out to outriggers to the sides, and maybe out back. The bench is rigid and should have plenty of space. I've been searching for pics, but not having any luck. I'm sure there are plenty of pics here, and maybe better ideas. Could you point me to a thread or post a pic?

BTW: the column is "stock" except for a DRO on the right, which I can move, and all the torsion lift and its' associated gagetry are gone. I have added an extended rack for more travel. jon
    Hi Jon. Welcome to the Zone!

It sounds to me like you have an X2, not an X3. There are some good suggestions for X2 column improvement on Hoss's site:

http://www.hossmachine.info/Shop_Info.html

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Thanks for your answers. That's right, it's an x2. Wish I could edit the title, but I can not Perhaps a mod can change that.

Crevice Reamer's z-axis brace is close to what I had in mind. Going off the top like that, I wouldn't have to move the DRO.

Knudsen,

You can edit the title, see attached images for direction.

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edit.jpg   Edit Title.jpg  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Thanks, Jeff!