585,715 active members*
3,933 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Which is correct way to wire up a Powermax45 for remote CNC start

Which is correct way to wire up a Powermax45 for remote CNC start

I am updating my cnc plasma table with a new Hyperherm Powermax45. I need to connect the remote start connectors on my CandCnc DTHC card to the wires coming from the start trigger on the hand torch. The wiring diagram shows that the pulling the trigger connects the violet to the blue wire. (#1 to #3 wire). I put a vampire tap on each of the wires (inside of the case) and run wires back to my DTCH card and plug them onto the correct spot. Upon testing I get a "torch stuck on/off" error message on the Powermax45. This same technique worked fine on my older Thermal Dynamics machine. The Hypertherm has a safety switch in the handle that is bypassed when I use this method and I assume the error is a resulting from bypassing the safety switch. Should I tape the trigger on the hand torch closed and wire my remote start "inline" on the single trigger wire? I sure would appreciate comments from anyone who has wired up one of these Powermax45 for CNC applications. I do have the manuals from their website but it does not help on how to do this. Thanks in advance.

jr

The Hypertherm Powermax units (45, 1000, 1250 and 1650) all have available machine torches.....,when the machine torch is plugged into the quick connect receptacle, the power supply recognizes it and allows for the remote start signal to be accessed on the interface connector on the rear panel....this connector also has a 50:1 divided arc voltage output and an arc transferred signal.

The Hypertherm hand torches have a safety trigger switch, and a safety circuit that attempts to not allow having a separate remote start switch attached at the same time the hand torch is attached. This is done for safety reasons...Imagine a remote switch firing the hand torch when you did not want it to fire...such as when you are changing consumables, or when the torch is setting next to a high pressure gas cylinder. Hypertherm made these safety decisions a few years ago after an accident in the field caused a serious fire in a shop....because of misuse of a remote start input.

There are many in the field that have bypassed this circuitry......and it involves cutting and splicing wires in the torch handle, or in the power supply....unfortunately, because this circuit is designed as a safety circuit, I cannot offer you advice on how best to defeat it! I recomend either using the machine torch for machine cutting applications....or, if you use the hand torch you must modify the wiring to the trigger circuit at your own risk.

Jim Colt Hypertherm.

I have a 1250 and with a hand torch and initially just used the terminal block inside the case which has the arc start input and arc OK output. That's when I found out about the arc start input not working when you have a hand torch. I simply re-connected the arc start wires from the DTHC board in parallel with the hand trigger switch wires. I used those automobile connectors where you don't have to cut into the wires. They typically get used when wiring in a towbar. Any auto shop should know what I mean there. Thought maybe the arc OK signal from the terminal block might not work but it did when I tested it and fired it from my MP3000 DTHC in Mach3.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the pointers. I did almost exactly as you wrote and it worked fine. My main problem was determining which were the correct wires from the torch handle. A conituity tester would show more than one wire grounding when the trigger was pulled because of the safety switch. Thanks

jr