585,728 active members*
4,690 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Is mist for me? (Yet another cooling system decision)
Page 1 of 2 12

Is mist for me? (Yet another cooling system decision)

As with others, I too am looking to move away from my current cans of WD40 cooling method. The only metal I machine is aluminum and roughly just 3-4 hours per week, usually all at once, but tool changes take up a good bit of that time. I don't want flood or cold-air blast, so that leaves me with...

(A) Handheld spray bottle with some other coolant (Kool Mist 77, 78, etc). Should work better than WD40, and cost is next to nothing, but it's still manual

(B) Mist. There are tank and tankless units, but I am not clear of the differences/pros/cons between these types. Apparently requires a significant compressor also.

(C) Fogbuster. Apparently the compressor requirements are much smaller, so I called the fogbuster folks and they had no clue how much CFM I'd need, but then had the audacity to suggest that "when I buy one", to call them back and let them know how much it requires. Really?! Don't these folks sell essentially just this one product?

(D) DIY fogbuster, with the info that Karl T and others posted.

At this point I'm going to do (A) anyway, as I probably have a spray bottle laying around, and I'd need to buy coolant anyway, no matter what other system I choose. So with minimal machining, should I still get a coolant system? I would be nice to walk away from the machine now and then, though I am not thrilled about the noise of a compressor. Sure I can build a sound-attenuating enclosure, but that's more space and cost.

From what I read on these forums, I was really thinking I'd just sink the money into a fogbuster and get it over with, but not anymore. So that leaves me with (B) or (D). I've read about the fog that mist systems develop, but wondering if it's still fine for my minimal usage? I'm in a warehouse-type unit, 40ft x 15ft with high (maybe 15ft to 18ft) ceilings, so not sure if I would be affected by the fog that apparently develops.

I would do a DIY fogbuster, but I think it will take some experimentation, and if I can avoid another project at this point that would be great. But the cost savings seems very appealing, and from what I read, the net result would be a very workable system with no side-effects.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,
    -Neil.

I should also mention that I have an automotive compressor with 2-ish gallon tank, which I setup as a pressure-tesing device. It should be able to deliver about 0.5CFM, and it will generate over 100PSI (though I'm not sure of the CFM at that pressure). One of the cooling systems I had looked at is the Flexi-Mist system shown here, which claims that it only needs 0.3CFM at 90PSI. Not having to buy another compressor is a definite plus.

Thanks,
    -Neil.

The air pressure requirement for the fogbuster isn't much from my experience, I generally run my 1/2 gl model at 5-10psi tops. This produces plenty of air pressure to clear away chips from even the most aggressive cuts I have made with my x3 mill.

I would stay clear of a mist unit... they are very messy and hazardous to your health. The result will be a film of sticky sh*t all over your machine and surrounding area.

Quote Originally Posted by cnczoner View Post
    (A) Handheld spray bottle with some other coolant (Kool Mist 77, 78, etc). Should work better than WD40, and cost is next to nothing, but it's still manual
    You might try Kerosene. Cheap, local and works well with Al. Not sure if it's really any better than WD40, but 1/10th the price.

I have a Noga system similar to the one pictured above the flexi mist at enco - it was this one from Wholesale Tool. I used to run it off a 5 gallon or so compressor which was OK although the compressor would kick in too often if I used too much PSI. It does let you control both air and fluid which is kind of nice. I like it because I can mix up a gallon of kool-mist and just drop the pickup line in the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcodewiz View Post
    I have a Noga system similar to the one pictured above the flexi mist at enco - it was this one from Wholesale Tool. I used to run it off a 5 gallon or so compressor which was OK although the compressor would kick in too often if I used too much PSI. It does let you control both air and fluid which is kind of nice. I like it because I can mix up a gallon of kool-mist and just drop the pickup line in the bottle.
    +1 for the Noga system. But it is going to require more air compressor than you have.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

I think I need to understand mist systems better then... yes, I've read that they can be harmful, but I thought that was due to the specific coolant. Kool Mist says on their website "The Kool Mist unique formula of coolant is safe for people, ...", and I'd think they'd be too large to blindly make claims about that. I've also read about the film they can leave, but thought it was a few isolated cases (and I assumed it would be for those who machine quite a bit). I do have 2 niceish cars taking up the rest of the warehouse space, so I will not go for mist if it will indeed leave a film on everything.

The Noga system sounds very convenient, but isn't it still a basic mist system?

I'd like some clarification on the diffs between mist and fogbuster -- (a) mist actually atomizes the coolant but the fog buster does not; (b) mist runs at higher pressure, but the fogbuster does not; (c) mist picks up unpressurized coolant with the venturi effect, but fogbuster actually forces the coolant through by pressurizing the coolant.... is this correct?

knudsen, I also heard that ATF works well, but I tried that in a spray bottle and can't say it did anything different than WD40. I never did calculate the cost of that though.

Thanks,
    -Neil.

just setup a airline to your table and flood coolant and you have yourself a very effective cheap way of getting rid of chips and cooling.

As with others, I too am looking to move away from my current cans of WD40 cooling method. The only metal I machine is aluminum and roughly just 3-4 hours per week, usually all at once, but tool changes take up a good bit of that time. I don't want flood or cold-air blast, so that leaves me with...

(B) Mist. There are tank and tankless units, but I am not clear of the differences/pros/cons between these types. Apparently requires a significant compressor also.

(C) Fogbuster. Apparently the compressor requirements are much smaller, so I called the fogbuster folks and they had no clue how much CFM I'd need, but then had the audacity to suggest that "when I buy one", to call them back and let them know how much it requires. Really?! Don't these folks sell essentially just this one product?

(D) DIY fogbuster, with the info that Karl T and others posted.

At this point I'm going to do (A) anyway, as I probably have a spray bottle laying around, and I'd need to buy coolant anyway, no matter what other system I choose. So with minimal machining, should I still get a coolant system? I would be nice to walk away from the machine now and then, though I am not thrilled about the noise of a compressor. Sure I can build a sound-attenuating enclosure, but that's more space and cost.

From what I read on these forums, I was really thinking I'd just sink the money into a fogbuster and get it over with, but not anymore. So that leaves me with (B) or (D). I've read about the fog that mist systems develop, but wondering if it's still fine for my minimal usage? I'm in a warehouse-type unit, 40ft x 15ft with high (maybe 15ft to 18ft) ceilings, so not sure if I would be affected by the fog that apparently develops.

I would do a DIY fogbuster, but I think it will take some experimentation, and if I can avoid another project at this point that would be great. But the cost savings seems very appealing, and from what I read, the net result would be a very workable system with no side-effects.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,
    -Neil.
    You don't say what kind of machine you have, but I'm assuming it's a benchtop, which means you really don't need anything more than a Fogbuster, and a home-made one will work just great. A Fogbuster will give you all the cooling you'll ever need on a benchtop machine. I've been using several home-made Fogbusters for years on my machines, including a knee mill, with no problems whatsoever. And, I've been slowly working my way through the same gallon of KoolMist for years as well, so the coolant cost is near zero. A $79 compressor will work just fine. It'll run a lot, but it can do that for years on end. When it finally dies, you buy another $79 compressor. FogBusters do not require high pressure, normally operating around 10-15 PSI. You will want to get a good "relieving" low-pressure regulator to maintain constant pressure, or the flow will vary all over the place. This one will work well:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...29&catname=air

Regards,
    Ray L.

I really don't have space for an enclosure, so don't want to futz with coolant.

But I also have a G0602 lathe. I've not set it up yet even though I purchased it several months ago, but I do intend to eventually, and would like to use the cooling system on that too.

I checked the specs on my compressor -- it's 1.35CFM at 0PSI, 150PSI max, and has a 2.4 gal tank. So it *may* work for my low-duty use.

Himy, are you using the same design as Karl T posted? Sounds like you've got it down to a no-brainer, so I'd love to know what your mixer/nozzle design looks like, if it's shareable.

Cheers,
    -Neil.

I really don't have space for an enclosure, so don't want to futz with coolant.

But I also have a G0602 lathe. I've not set it up yet even though I purchased it several months ago, but I do intend to eventually, and would like to use the cooling system on that too.

I checked the specs on my compressor -- it's 1.35CFM at 0PSI, 150PSI max, and has a 2.4 gal tank. So it *may* work for my low-duty use.

Himy, are you using the same design as Karl T posted? Sounds like you've got it down to a no-brainer, so I'd love to know what your mixer/nozzle design looks like, if it's shareable.

Cheers,
    -Neil.
    Mine is based on the Fogbuster patent. The construction is completely different, but the important dimensions are the same. I've posted pictures of mine, and the link to the patent several times here, so you should be able to find it by searching.

Regards,
    Ray L.

FogBuster Clone

Here are a few pics I posted of the FB Clone I made. It was one of my first projects. It can easily be adjusted to anything from all air to to a nice spray of coolant. It works great, definitely worth the effort.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=36

DIY zero fog mister

Since I need it anyway, a short search found this plan. I cleaned up the dimensions a bit.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zero_Fog_Mister.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I think you guys (or gals if any of you are ) have convinced me to DIY now. Himy, I did not find pics of yours, but I did find the patent, which is quite well detailed. mmprestine, those drawings are the Karl T ones I was referring to, but was unclear on a couple things, which the patent doc now cleared up for me.

I'm running this through my head, and the more I think of it, the simpler I think it will be. Only thing is that I need to find a suitable tank, and wondering if a plastic fuel can can handle the pressure (since it's not much). Yes, there are two "can"s together in that last sentence. If not, the PVC idea seems nice.

Thanks,
    -Neil.

If you downloaded the patent could you please post it here? I would like to see it for myself.
    Mat

Patent is here.

thanks

You may also want to consider this system from Micro Mark: http://www.micromark.com/MICROFLOW-C...STEM,8474.html

My coolant needs are very similar to yours. I did not want to deal with the volume of liquid produced by a flood system nor did I want mist due to health concerns and the need for a compressor. The Micro Mark system shoots a fine spray which seems adequate for cooling and removing chips from smaller cutters (up to ~3/8"). Having said that, now that I have the system (running Kool Mist 77), I plan on modifying it for greater flow in order to remove more chips (sort of like a "light" flood system). I may need to change pumps and make some other modifications, so you may be wise to just build it from scratch. For me, I wanted to make parts, not spend too much time engineering a coolant system.

I did make a mount for the nozzle as shown in the attached picture.

-Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taig Mill 013.jpg  

I think you guys (or gals if any of you are ) have convinced me to DIY now. Himy, I did not find pics of yours, but I did find the patent, which is quite well detailed. mmprestine, those drawings are the Karl T ones I was referring to, but was unclear on a couple things, which the patent doc now cleared up for me.

I'm running this through my head, and the more I think of it, the simpler I think it will be. Only thing is that I need to find a suitable tank, and wondering if a plastic fuel can can handle the pressure (since it's not much). Yes, there are two "can"s together in that last sentence. If not, the PVC idea seems nice.

Thanks,
    -Neil.
    Neil,

Go to a home center or plumbing supply store. For about $20 you can buy a whole-house water filter canister, which is a 1/2 gallon plastic screw-on tank with pipe fitting inlets and outlets. It makes a perfect reservoir for a Fog buster, that will hold several days worth of coolant for a small machine.

Keep in mind too, once you master setting feeds and speeds, you really don't need coolant for aluminum. If you run a heavy enough chipload for the RPM, the chips will carry away the heat, and keep the tool cool. I'm now running 1/2" endmills at 3200 RPM, 0.150"DOC, 75IPM in 6061 without any coolant - just air to clear the chips.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Wow, I search Home Depot for water filter and came up with this, which looks sooo familiar (like the fogbuster unit). A clear container would be nicer, so I'll go by there and look in person.

For the regulator, I was thinking I could just use something like this.

I have oodles of NPT fittings, so plumbing should be easy.

Cheers,
    -Neil.

Page 1 of 2 12