584,846 active members*
4,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

need help with getting turbocnc to work

my problem is that i made my own conrtoller with 3 uln2003a chips wired them up and tested the two out of the three axes thats the x and y
    i checked them in jog mode they work fine with nothing on them motors but the jog fine but the problem i have is when im running one of the sample cnc programs it comes with the motors just lock up and done move an inch even though the program says the x and y axis moving
    can anyone help me with this
    the motors are nmb pl42-042 six wire 120 ohm thats whats on the paper
    im using 12v but i think they run on 24 could this be the problem

Try lowering your feedrate first to the same as your jog speed. Also lower the acceleration rate. Then you can work up from there. I didn't find your motors from a quick Google search nor on NMB's website. Do you have a link to a pdf or webpage?

You are going to be very limited in speed with the driver you've built, especially if they really are 24V motors.

well here is the link for the motors
    http://www.eminebea.com/content/html...f/pm42l048.pdf
    well i seemed to have found out something that the motors actually step but they do so very very slowly and i increase the feed rate by 1000% they run normal but only for that step in the g code line the next line they move the same way is there any way to make the program run the motors at that feed rate for all the steps in the g code

Look for any F codes in the G-Code file you are trying to run. For example, F10.0 used in the code will set the feedrate to 10.0 units per min. If you have set up for metric it will mean 10.0 mm per minute. You can change these values anywhere you want in the program. They stay in effect until another F code is encountered (unless you use feed override.)

An easier test is to use MDI mode and just type in something like G1 X2 F100 and then play around with the values. Your configuration menu will also limit max feedrate based on frequency and scale how many steps it will take to move an inch (or mm).

You're going to have to study up on this anyway to be able to use it well, so good luck.

thanks for the advise i will soon be going to utech and they will teach me all this stuff but i thought why not build my own machine
    so far i have done the controller and the motors though i might need a bigger one for the z axis
    i try what u said though

i found out what was the problem i had the scale worng thats why they jog becase the scale doesnt affect that but when running the scale comes into play i had the scale at 48 inches for a 7.5 degree motor