584,874 active members*
4,962 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Jerky Y axis

Jerky Y axis

I have just finished cutting out and assembling the Joe's 2006 router. The Y axis seems to jerk a bit when moving. When I push back and forth I can not feel any looseness. I am just curious what might cause this? I was thinking maybe a bad bearing... Also should I have a bearing on the lead screw at the back of the gantry?

Also what kind of speed should I be getting? Anything over about 30-40 IPM and the motors stall. I am using the hobbycnc pro board and the 305 motors. Does this sound about right?

Thanks, Joe

Quote Originally Posted by beamsjr View Post
    I have just finished cutting out and assembling the Joe's 2006 router. The Y axis seems to jerk a bit when moving. When I push back and forth I can not feel any looseness. I am just curious what might cause this? I was thinking maybe a bad bearing... Also should I have a bearing on the lead screw at the back of the gantry?

Also what kind of speed should I be getting? Anything over about 30-40 IPM and the motors stall. I am using the hobbycnc pro board and the 305 motors. Does this sound about right?

Thanks, Joe
    you should easily be getting 80-100ipm, not sure what you mean by a bearing at the back of the gantry can you take a picture of the area. Also use white lithium grease on the leadscrews to ensure smooth and easy turning of the leadscrew.
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Does it run on linear guides or box ways? If it has ways, check gib adjustment. Check backlash for the lead screw.

Ok, I have taken it apart and checked the bearings. I had 3 that were really hard to turn and I replaced them. I installed an anti-backlash nut at the rear of the gantry, where the leadscrew exits the gantry on the Y axis. I am getting about 60 ipm now. The hopping still exists, but very slight.

When the gantry gets close to the ends of the Y axis (mostly the back end, about the last 20" about 12 in the front) it stalls out. I have checked the lead screw to make sure it wasn't bending and binding it up. I will take some video and post it up tonight.

I will also get some white grease on there!

Thanks, Joe

Here is a video of a test cut at 60 ipm I did earlier today. It came out ok, some jaggy edges I am sure is from the hopping.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhu96Szswz0"]YouTube- Test cut on my homemade CNC Machine[/ame]

Not cutting square

I have got the machine running pretty good now, I am having a really hard time getting it to cut square though. Its off by about 1/4 inch over 30 inches. I used a square to check the table inside of the cross braces and they seem square. The gantry seems to be square, when I run it up to the front of the table the gantry sides are the same distance from the end. Any ideas on what I should check next would be appreciated!

Thanks, Joe

I was playing with the gib adjustment and I think that is going to fix my problem. Hopefully I will have some time to play with it in the morning.

Thanks, Joe