584,830 active members*
5,738 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Which bar puller do you use.

I need a bar puller for a SL-10 and very sorry to say a feeder can't be used so What puller works the best for you, ease of setup etc.

This machine is wonderful and I haven't even come close to it's limits.

Bar Pullers

Hi,

Here is a link to one that my friend recently purchased for his HAAS GT10 Lathe.
    It is made by Royal Products. This particular one serves as both a cut off tool and bar puller. They have several different ones so you can also browse their website for additional models. Hope this was of some help.

John

http://www.royalprod.com/product.cfm?catID=4&ID=26
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Mines a ROYAL and I love it!

A friend of mine actually makes bar pullers at his shop. Go to my website sandiegocnc.com and you'll see a short video of it in use on a Hass SL-10. His shop is West Industries, LLC.

Quote Originally Posted by 123tool View Post
    I need a bar puller for a SL-10 and very sorry to say a feeder can't be used so What puller works the best for you, ease of setup etc.

This machine is wonderful and I haven't even come close to it's limits.
    I will take you ten minutes to make a few bar puller, go to Kipware web page they ...... show you how.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Which bar puller do you use.

None. They are to darn slow; you have to stop the spindle then restart it.

Why can you not use a barfeeder? Preferably one that lets you feed the bar with the spindle spinning to save time.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I have a dunham and a royal grippex for my SL-10, haven't used them much since I got a subspindle machine though

http://www.dunhamtool.com/cnc_lathe_bar_puller.html

http://www.royalprod.com/product.cfm?catID=4&id=27

to use the grippex you need the high volume coolant pump. The little stocker just won't do it.

(wrong)

Thanks again I'll order the Royal that accepts the cut off attachment... then figure out the programing when it gets here. The scrap alone from running 40 inch bars when the parts are about 2-1/2 to 3 inches will be high... nothing else can be done right now.

I would love to have a bar feeder but the shop is still a 2 car garage that has a SL-10, TM-1P, (2) mills, a surface grinder, a manual lathe and the coolest $399 production lathe that was made for Valenite 20 years ago by Len Albright (shadow cnc). I think another machine will be purchased in a few weeks and no place to put it...

The time spent learning this machine last weekend put production on hold for the other products I make. I did hire a guy last week right out of school but it didn't work out, I need someone who can work on these machines without any help from me. This is only a hobby that's growing to fast to keep up... I need to retire and get a larger shop.

Talking My poormans bar pull setup

Here's my setup.I can take it all apart when I need the space.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bar pull.jpg   short config..jpg   long config..jpg  

Bar Puller

Nastyzen,

Nice setup and a very clean machine. Do you always run the same size bar? If not, do you use some type of reducers in the pillow block bearings?

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Thanks I try to keep it clean between jobs. So far I have uhmw reducers from 1/2 thru to 1 3/4 and the pillow blocks are 2.0 inch.
    The spindle hole is 1 3/4.
    Yup I have to change over every time I use a different bar size.But I don't need an expensive and cumbersome bar feeder.
    One of the parts I make out of 1/2 in. brass bar in 12 ft. lengths takes about 1 hr and 45 min. to go thru the whole length.I set up a pat light in my other shop and in the window so I can tell when it's time to feed it an other bar.I can see the green light from my kitchen window.
    The biggest run of parts I've done so far is 7000 parts.It runs from 8 am to about 10 pm for 13 days or so.
    Some other parts take up to 5 hrs. to eat up the bar while I work on other projects.

Information

Nastyzen,

It looks like your bar stabilizer is in two pieces and that they are bolted to the floor. Do you have any alignment issues when you take it apart and put it back together again?

How fast do you turn the spindle when you are using the puller setup?

Any vibration issues?

Did you make your own bar puller that fits in the turret? I would think that it would have to be pretty well made to pull a 12 foot 1/2 diameter bar.

I currently don't own a CNC Lathe but I am thinking of getting one in the near future and really like your setup.

Thanks for sharing your information on the setup you utilize.

John
    When I set up the stabilizer I put a 12ft.1 1/5dia. bar clamped in the chuck to line everything up.Thats also the method I used to build it.First I loaded the bar then bolted the plates to the floor,leveled it all,then filled the gaps with tubing and welding.I can barpull 1 3/4 x 12ft long no problem as long as I slow down the pull cycle a little so that it doesn't give it to much of a jerk or it slips a little because of the mass.
    I slow the rpm to about 1000 with the larger dia. to keep the vibrations down and to be a little easyer on the spindle motor.
    If the bar is strait I can go to 2500 or so with any dia.
    The bar pull is from Royal and cost me about 1200.00Cdn Loonies.