585,930 active members*
3,749 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Trying to understand what I need?

Trying to understand what I need?

Hi All,

I have three g203v gecko drives and three stepper motors from Kelling Tech (KL34H260-42-8A). I also have the CNC4PC breakout board C11 Multi-function board. I am thinking of using two motors to drive the x-axis (2 roton ball screws drive the x-axis) and was wondering if the BOB would work for this.

I know I need another gecko drive and motor, but was wondering how I can drive the two x-axis motors in sync or if this is problem. I also have the KL-7212 (Unregulated Power Supply 864W, 72VDC/12A, Single Rectifier Module,120VAC or 230VAC) and was hoping that this is enough power to drive four motors.
    Also should I power the BOB and other low voltage electronics with a separate power supply (5v-12v)?

The router is an all metal/aluminum and I will use a Chinese Spindle. I want to be able to cut soft metals (aluminum, brass, copper, etc.) and wood of course.

What other electronics, besides a PC will I need? E-Stop, home and limit switches, etc. If someone has a list of the needed electronics, plus nice or neat stuff to add to the system for smoother or better operation, I am highly interested in any help. Also I have Mach 3, but what other software do I need? I don’t understand the difference or what I need to consider.

Of course my budget is limited, so I need to make some smart informed choices, thanks for your help.

Paul

but was wondering how I can drive the two x-axis motors in sync
    You slave the two together in Mach3. Set up the 4th axis as the A axis (with same settings as X), and slave it to the X. Config>Slaving

What other electronics, besides a PC will I need? E-Stop, home and limit switches, etc
    You don't need anything else, but you might want them. It's really up to you. I don't have any switches on my router.

Also I have Mach 3, but what other software do I need?
    Mach3 controls the machine. You'll probably also need a CAD or design program, and a CAM program. Mach3 comes with LazyCAM, but I'm not a fan of it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)