585,992 active members*
5,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G203v disable pin

I am not currently using the disable pin on my Gecko 203v but I have a question concerning what happens when the disable pin is used.

I have discovered that the stepper motor is held as soon as my DC supply is powered up thereby rendering manual movement of the axis impossible. My question is if the disable pin is pulled high, does it allow the motor to become freewheeling?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by kae View Post
    I am not currently using the disable pin on my Gecko 203v but I have a question concerning what happens when the disable pin is used.

I have discovered that the stepper motor is held as soon as my DC supply is powered up thereby rendering manual movement of the axis impossible. My question is if the disable pin is pulled high, does it allow the motor to become freewheeling?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    I believe you are correct in that it turns off all of the output from the drive allowing it to freewheel. If you go to the Gecko website under support and download the manual it goes into further detail.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I did not see this in the manual. I am considering wiring a disable button for each axis so that I can use an edgefinder with the handwheels to set the DRO at the edge of a part. I know that this can be done in jog mode also but I thought that I would have better feel by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALLYRC View Post
    I believe you are correct in that it turns off all of the output from the drive allowing it to freewheel. If you go to the Gecko website under support and download the manual it goes into further detail.

Mike

Exclamation I need to drink while reading the manual.

hi Kae,

From the manual, top of page 2 and here is the link.

http://www.geckodrive.com/upload/G203V-REV-7-MANUAL.pdf

DISABLE PIN
    TERMINAL 7 Disable
    This terminal will force the winding currents to zero when tied to the step and direction controller +5V.
    The DISABLE input on the G203V is optically isolated and requires logic “1” to DISABLE and logic “0” to ENABLE the drive. Once it is
    disabled, the motor windings are unergenized and the motor freewheels. Unquote

I had to read it again since they are so full of information that it is easy to over look exactly what you are looking for.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Mike,

Many thanks! It appears that I need to read the manuals more closely. Since I need to add an E-stop, I could have the E-stop bring the disable pins high thereby allowing the motors to freewheel. I would kill two birds with one stone that way.

Regards, Kent

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALLYRC View Post
    hi Kae,

From the manual, top of page 2 and here is the link.

http://www.geckodrive.com/upload/G203V-REV-7-MANUAL.pdf

DISABLE PIN
    TERMINAL 7 Disable
    This terminal will force the winding currents to zero when tied to the step and direction controller +5V.
    The DISABLE input on the G203V is optically isolated and requires logic “1” to DISABLE and logic “0” to ENABLE the drive. Once it is
    disabled, the motor windings are unergenized and the motor freewheels. Unquote

I had to read it again since they are so full of information that it is easy to over look exactly what you are looking for.

Mike