585,764 active members*
4,233 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Chinese Spindles

For anyone out there considering either building a router or modifying a router with one of the Chinese spindles, I bought a motor with VFD for $523.00 including shipping from China. They advertised 3 to 5 day delivery, but mine actually took 10 days (but still not bad). Here is my recent experience:

1) The motor works great
    2) It is much quieter than a router (I was using a 3 1/4 HP Porter Cable)
    3) It is still not 'quiet'. The pitch is higher than a router, and my wife finds it more annoying than a router, but I CAN listen to the radio while it is running, which I could NEVER do before.
    4) I have the water cooled version, for which I used a fountain motor from HD. I first bought the cheapest one ($18.00), but it couldn't handle the head pressure from 50' of 1/4" poly-tite. I ended up changing to another fountain pump ($39.00) which seems to be working fine. I circulates with no problem and the motor stays cool (room temperature). I mounted a container up on the wall with the pump in it and it is working fine..
    5) You can download a pretty complete VFD manual to help set it up, and mine came with instructions for the NECESSARY settings for startup. There are others that need to be changed, and I found the settings online from other users.

If you have any questions or problems getting it set up and working I will be glad to tell you what worked for me.

Ken

All in all, it was a VERY worthwhile upgrade, and I would recommend it to anyone using a router for a spindle.

which company and is there a link so we can see these?

Thanks

im looking at getting one of these im after finding out what is the slowest rpm of your spindle?.

cheers

I think realistically they are good to around 6000-7000 rpm.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by stk2008 View Post
    im looking at getting one of these im after finding out what is the slowest rpm of your spindle?.

cheers
    My advice from experience would be to only buy the spindle from china and buy the vfd more local.

My spindle 2.2kw WC is fanstastic and worth every penny, but the vfd's (the clue is in **d's bit) that I experienced left alot to be desired.
    Vfd's can be very complicated to setup and understand so a good manuel is a must in my opinion.

The spindle will run as slow as you want but the main meat is between 6000 - 24000rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by hemsworthlad View Post
    My advice from experience would be to only buy the spindle from china and buy the vfd more local.

My spindle 2.2kw WC is fanstastic and worth every penny, but the vfd's (the clue is in **d's bit) that I experienced left alot to be desired.
    Vfd's can be very complicated to setup and understand so a good manuel is a must in my opinion.

The spindle will run as slow as you want but the main meat is between 6000 - 24000rpm.
    who is the manufacteure of your spindle who did you get it from?
    what are the spects on the spindle, what bearing are in it? do you have a picture?
    what is the weight of the spindle , what was the shipping cost?

You don't want to run a spindle like that much lower than 6000 rpm, since its designed for light chip load at High rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by eloid View Post
    who is the manufacteure of your spindle who did you get it from?
    Dont know the manufacturer but the supplier was Chai at linearmotionbearings look on ebay.
    what are the spects on the spindle, what bearing are in it? do you have a picture?
    2.2kw watercooled 220v 3ph 400hz 7.5A dont know what kind of bearings are inside, I havent had it apart yet.
    If you want a picture i can sort one for you but to be honest just have a look on his site and you can see it for your self or just look on some of the other posts on here theres plenty about.
    what is the weight of the spindle , what was the shipping cost?
    To be honest I havent weighed but again i can if you want me too, but i can tell you they are heavy. . . . I would say just about the same as a large-ish router.
    The shipping costs will be dependent on where you live in the world, i'm in uk so will be totally differant to us.
    The total cost inc shipping for both the vfd and spindle was $485.usd or just a tad over £300.GBP. . . . Which in the Uk is very very cheap the spindle alone would be over £500 and probably more like £600-700 then another £150- 200 for a vfd.

So you see it doesnt really matter what bearings are inside for this money because as soon has i feel it's in need i will replace them with a good quality set and will still not be any were near the price it would have cost me to buy over here in uk.

Dont know the manufacturer but the supplier was Chai at linearmotionbearings look on ebay.

2.2kw watercooled 220v 3ph 400hz 7.5A dont know what kind of bearings are inside, I havent had it apart yet.
    If you want a picture i can sort one for you but to be honest just have a look on his site and you can see it for your self or just look on some of the other posts on here theres plenty about.

To be honest I havent weighed but again i can if you want me too, but i can tell you they are heavy. . . . I would say just about the same as a large-ish router.
    The shipping costs will be dependent on where you live in the world, i'm in uk so will be totally differant to us.
    The total cost inc shipping for both the vfd and spindle was $485.usd or just a tad over £300.GBP. . . . Which in the Uk is very very cheap the spindle alone would be over £500 and probably more like £600-700 then another £150- 200 for a vfd.

So you see it doesnt really matter what bearings are inside for this money because as soon has i feel it's in need i will replace them with a good quality set and will still not be any were near the price it would have cost me to buy over here in uk.
    i understand that shiping varies from place to place im probly closer than you are... from china... just want a ball park idea.. sometime shipping is more than the spindle... send a link or pic of the unit you got do you know who made this spindle there so many cloes out there? any info fro chi or manual
    i know the lower end model spindle are lighter weight?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

i understand that shiping varies from place to place im probly closer than you are... from china... just want a ball park idea.. sometime shipping is more than the spindle... send a link or pic of the unit you got do you know who made this spindle there so many cloes out there? any info fro chi or manual
    i know the lower end model spindle are lighter weight?
    Like Ger says about $75 shipping.

I dont have a clue or care for that matter who makes these spindles, they are not complicated pieces of kit, just bearings and windings no rocket science involved.
    The only thing that concerns me is that the quality is ok and in my particular case it is good and i'm pleased.

If you want know who makes it ask Chai i'm sure he'll tell you (not).

Like Ger says about $75 shipping.

I dont have a clue or care for that matter who makes these spindles, they are not complicated pieces of kit, just bearings and windings no rocket science involved.
    The only thing that concerns me is that the quality is ok and in my particular case it is good and i'm pleased.

If you want know who makes it ask Chai i'm sure he'll tell you (not).
    There hundred of chinnses spindle manufacture... quality is not all ways visual
    eg the rotor is the most import and hardest item to find a replacement if damaged...most cheep motors ie general use thinly coated insualting enmal wire coating on the rotor with time heat vibration dirt you will develop a short and prehaps melt thany internal plastic parts... if you dont know what product you have your s.o.l for replacement and if chi is long gone then you sol again... Im my case i looking for 3-5 kw with ATC
    which around 3-5 k$ not a cheap investment.... for me its not a throw away part. the rockeket science come into play when you try to source a part to a spindle you dont know who it made it. And chi is around wanting to help you
    cause he looking for fast buck to sell you a nother 3-5k spindle

There hundred of chinnses spindle manufacture... quality is not all ways visual
    eg the rotor is the most import and hardest item to find a replacement if damaged...most cheep motors ie general use thinly coated insualting enmal wire coating on the rotor with time heat vibration dirt you will develop a short and prehaps melt thany internal plastic parts... if you dont know what product you have your s.o.l for replacement and if chi is long gone then you sol again... Im my case i looking for 3-5 kw with ATC
    which around 3-5 k$ not a cheap investment.... for me its not a throw away part. the rockeket science come into play when you try to source a part to a spindle you dont know who it made it. And chi is around wanting to help you
    cause he looking for fast buck to sell you a nother 3-5k spindle
    Well the answer for you then is simple, dont buy from Chai.

This spindle is used for serious home/hobbie work and I dont and wouldnt relay on it for my day to day living.

The point i was trying to make was, at this price point a few 100$ i dont expect it to be top quality. . . . There's an old saying which holds true " you get what you pay for"
    The spindles at this price point I believe are good value and I got more than I payed for, so i'm happy.

If i was investing 5k then yes i would expect and demand good quality but the again I wouldnt buy it from china, I would pay the extra and buy local for the backup service.

Someone asked about the weight. The 2.2Kw is almost exactly 3kgs.

Lars

Check out these ball screws from the same seller. Three, Ground ball screws for $146

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-anti-backlash-...item3a5077d2ea

At these prices there won't be any competition from Japan,USA or anywhere else.
    Its too bad these guys are flooding the market with super cheap parts. Sure its great for hobbiest, but in less than 20 years, i bet ALL manufacturing will only done in China and the unemployment in the western world will be 30% . China has 1.3 billion people and they want what we have, and maybe its their time, who knows.

Next year that spindle will be about $100...maybe 3 for $100.

Quote Originally Posted by eloid
    There hundred of chinnses spindle manufacture... quality is not all ways visual eg the rotor is the most import and hardest item to find a replacement if damaged...most cheep motors ie general use thinly coated insualting enmal wire coating on the rotor with time heat vibration dirt you will develop a short and prehaps melt thany internal plastic parts...
    BTW, There is no wire in the rotor on an induction motor.

Larry K

This spindle is used for serious home/hobbie work and I dont and wouldnt relay on it for my day to day living.

The point i was trying to make was, at this price point a few 100$ i dont expect it to be top quality. . . . There's an old saying which holds true " you get what you pay for"
    The spindles at this price point I believe are good value and I got more than I payed for, so i'm happy.

If i was investing 5k then yes i would expect and demand good quality but the again I wouldnt buy it from china, I would pay the extra and buy local for the backup service.

Well a good spindle is 10-15k with atc.... from alocal supplier but as you said...they are not complicated not expensive... unfortunly ..till you try find parts for it(nuts)

Quote Originally Posted by Larken View Post
    Check out these ball screws from the same seller. Three, Ground ball screws for $146

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-anti-backlash-...item3a5077d2ea

At these prices there won't be any competition from Japan,USA or anywhere else.
    Its too bad these guys are flooding the market with super cheap parts. Sure its great for hobbiest, but in less than 20 years, i bet ALL manufacturing will only done in China and the unemployment in the western world will be 30% . China has 1.3 billion people and they want what we have, and maybe its their time, who knows.

Next year that spindle will be about $100...maybe 3 for $100.

BTW, There is no wire in the rotor on an induction motor.

Larry K

my mistake this a dc motor, thus its a stator. Same problem occurs.... regardless when motor heat up etc......

The sad part is when resellers dont even want you to know
    what your getting but want maxuim $$$$$$$$$$ profit, then tell you there product the best but then dont want to inform you what brand / model your buying from just that it made in china?

Of those that have bought a spindle was there a owers manual that came with it, with info on the manufacture of the spindle ? contact info for service/ parts.

there a old saying ..if poeple cant answer a honest question,,,, ie ...like who is the manufacture of that spindle ....... walk away...

Hay Larry,its Larry.We talked last time about birch ply and speakers long before the ZONE or the internet.
    Rember long ago Japanese transitor radios?We thought the Jap's were going to take over the world.Now they build the best machinery and are the most expensive.Once the Chinese get their act together,their products when up to par will probably cost much more.
    There is tons of posts on problems with the spindles,much more than happy customers.People seem to think Colombo and HSD etc.are ripping them off with the high prices.Chinese manfactures who are serious use HSD spindles and Becker vacuum pumps.Need I say more?They wont even use spindles from their own country.They know more than us.
    On another note.
    Larry, why not go to China and sell these Chinese ballscrews and parts you approve.Shipping on those screws is $150.Bulk shipments or a skid lowers the shipping cost leaving room for markup.The boys here would trust a local guy.
    Larry
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

I think the biggest problem is peoples own expectations are unrealistic, they want to pay low dollar but get top dollar quality!!. . . . . IT cant ever happen.

when you get below a certain price threshold it doesnt matter if their made in china, japan or on the moon quality will always suffer, and people who expect columbo or hsd quality at this price are just stupid.

Simple business economics and common sense should at least make this obvious.

Bottom line is that if you pay a low price expect lower quality parts.

I'm very very happy with my spindle and the quality is acceptable for the use i will give it.
    The VFD's on the other hand where sh-i-t-e so I bought one in the uk and payed the price.

Eloid: . . I didnt ask and dont care who makes these spindles and if it only lasts 12mths, which it will easly, then i wont feel any regret.
    Because for £150 which this spindle cost it wont break the bank or keep me up at night.
    After all a cheap router is not much less and these spindles knock the spots of the best routers.

Page 1 of 3 123