585,996 active members*
4,943 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > material placement lazer Projector for cnc

material placement lazer Projector for cnc

This would be cool tool to integrate in to mach for material placement/ layout if mounted to the ceiling above you cnc table. future technology to keep a look out for

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UfarRM0BoM"]YouTube- Laser Pico Projector Microvision "SHOW"[/ame]

This is something that has been done in the granite industry for many years. Check out this link http://www.carterproducts.com/produc...id=16&cat_id=7 I have used these systems before. There is a reflector at the four coners of the table that are used as a reference for the laser to auto adjust to the table. You set up your cam system to output a 2d dxf file that projects down onto the table and align your parts to the projected file. The laser can be scaled and moved for accurate alignment. The only drawback is that the laser has a hard time projecting really complex parts. To combat this you just project the geometry needed to reference your parts.
    Judleroy

i think if you could create a new full screen set window, for the machine window and ahave a option to easy scale the projected image to you table
    cutting area this would cool . you wouldnt be limited to simple shapes etc.

I agree that would be cool with a projector both because its cheaper then a laser system and that it shows the full cad file. On the laser projector I linked to the drawbacks are that there is only one laser projecting the entire image so the laser is moving in a very fast motion tracing the part for you. The laser moves so fast that it appears to be a solid outline when a simple part is projected. The more geometry projected the more the part seems to be blinking. Also they cost about 20 grand. With a projector like you showed the image would be steady but to scale the part you would have to build an axis to to move the laser up and down to properly scale the part. Also movement of the projector by as little as a few thousands would alter the scale of your part. You would need a reference on the table to scale the projector to. You would need to be able to reference your table everytime you start things up. I do think this could be done relatively easily but some trial and error would be involved. I don't know if anyone else would like to take part in trying to make this work but I would be willing to help in developing something like this for the diy community.
    Judleroy

Judleroy

This is the solution we need, this is a must watch for anyone serious material placement system for there cnc...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgrGjJUBF_I&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Automatic Projector Calibration with Embedded Light Sensors[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by eloid View Post
    Judleroy

This is the solution we need, this is a must watch for anyone serious material placement system for there cnc...

YouTube- Automatic Projector Calibration with Embedded Light Sensors
    When you get really bored of watching you cnc....
    just watch a dvd on your cutting surface when your in the shop as it cuts your parts...lol...

I could see this in the trade shows .... as advertisment and also recorded step by step videos of cnc tutorials to use there products and then also material placement also...

That is pretty awsome. Do you know if there is a website related to that product. If not a website maybe some contact info for the developers. I believe that the basic electronics would not be hard to duplicate but the software to run it is another question entirely. I have no ability to write software. Maybe someone else here could help in that realm. We would'nt need all that functionality just the autoalign to table and autoscale.
    Judleroy

Yes tutorials and advertisements would both benifit from this as well.

The small optical sensors would be a problem as they would easily be embeded with swarf from cutting. I think maybe a larger sensor like the ones used in tv remotes (very cheap) would be easier to see to clean. Also they really don't need to be invisible in our application anyways since painting the table white would be a bad idea on alot of cnc machines.
    Judleroy

Quote Originally Posted by judleroy View Post
    The small optical sensors would be a problem as they would easily be embeded with swarf from cutting. I think maybe a larger sensor like the ones used in tv remotes (very cheap) would be easier to see to clean. Also they really don't need to be invisible in our application anyways since painting the table white would be a bad idea on alot of cnc machines.
    Judleroy
    You could use ir sensor or fiber optic cables both are low cost and not that hard to do. The reason to cover the sensor ir / fiber optic cable node is to diffuse the light for the sensor thus reducing white noise pickup from the surounding enviroment. Once the system is calibrated there there should be no need to have a active seek mode on for your table.... so swarf issue should not be a issue after that unless you move you set up / table.

I do some more research on this project and post when I have more info.

diy touch screen and corner digitizer for cnc

if you seen my material placement idea you love this idea also

you can also combine this concept as well with it
    A "multi touch diy tablet or... touch screen for mach ... or corner digitizer for cnc placement .... for plart referancing just make a cone shape tip pen point with ir sensor to ref your material combined with a zero touch plate.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5EvhHy7eQ&feature=fvw"]YouTube- Low-Cost Multi-touch Whiteboard using the Wiimote[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by eloid View Post
    Judleroy

YouTube- Automatic Projector Calibration with Embedded Light Sensors
    wow what a amazing idea eloid, has anyone contacted this developer
    and see of we can implement for project cnc toolpaths to the cnc
    table top for material placement?

more links

http://johnnylee.net/projects/thesis/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liMcM...ayer_embedded#!

see of we can implement for project cnc toolpaths to the cnc
    table top for material placement?
    Get your wallet out.
    2D LP-HFD Laser Projection System by Carter Products
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: material placement lazer Projector for cnc

I know this thread is old, but the need is still there for an affordable part projection system. We don't need a Laser Controlled system necessarily, but something that will project an image onto a table. As for scaling, if we draw parts using a full scale version of our tables, and can project an on-screen image that is dialed in to our table size, then we will know where to place vacuum holding devices, etc. The attached image is my 10 zone vacuum system. I have place 4 pucks over existing vacuum holes and drew my part to fit accordingly. This is a simple example but gets the point across. When laying out many different shapes on a full sheet of material, it will speed things up, especially when using special shaped pucks.

I am currently discussing options with some people who are smarter than me, as to how we can accomplish this in a small, flexible and affordable package.

Re: material placement lazer Projector for cnc

I think a proper projector with enough brains behind it would work.