584,805 active members*
4,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

I think I killed it...lol

The Electrode that is...

I was experimenting with some "THICK" steel with my PMax 45.
    The cut was very slow then all of a sudden the air output probably doubled, and got loud...then the torch extinguished and wouldn't re-fire. It was partially used consumables, but didn't expect this....

The unit seemed fine with new parts in it, I'll play with it more tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc small030.jpg   cnc small034.jpg  

Thats why we (unfortunately) call these parts "consumables"......likely some material blew back and damaged the nozzle orifice.....or they just plain wore out.

Jim

hi

is normal that thing!

Agapios

No not normal.... That is why I said "I" killed the electrode

So far the Powermax 45 has blown me away, Performed flawlessly to this point, and surprised me just how easily and fast it will cut.

I just got my CNC table running (or limping lol). I took an electrode with a lot of wear on it already (on purpose), actually now i think about it it was the first one that came in the machine. Two pieces of 1/2 inch steel VERY rusty stacked, on a grating that was painted when i got it , and the work clamp was attached to the grating not the work pieces.

So I'm already at the max on rated severance capability, POOR grounding that can probably be told by the fact I just looked up and the rated speed should have been 4IPM but I bet I was less than 2 (didn't have the manual handy and was just playing, lol) All that coupled with it rained yesterday and I don't have a great air system... Small compressor that doesn't really keep up on the CFM end of things and my final filter is an experiment with 1/4 think steel tube and a hand wound paper filter to trap moisture which could be the culprit right there if it is breaking down or moldy for all I know. I'll check it all when I get out there.

My best guess is the Halfnium insert in the electrode was too far gone when I started (a very visibly deep divot in it) and when it was gone the copper just eroded very quickly( I didn't stop the machine right away either..) Looks pretty funky though.

Usually you see green flame.....just before it flames out. That means the arc cannot find hafnium...so it goes for the copper.....which does not last more than a few seconds.

Jim